Hello friends. After how much I enjoyed writing a post about things I didn't like in books (you can see it here) I decided to compensate for all that negativity and share some of my favorite tropes, themes and such with y'all today. And, let me tell you, this post turned out QUITE COOL, with lost of awesome recommendations, so wow, I cannot wait for you to see it! So, without further ado, let's get right into the bestest tropes there are + some amazing recs.
THIS IS THE BEST TROPE OF EVER WOW. I'm kind of an optimist when it comes to believing if one of my ships will stay together, BUT that optimism skyrockets when my ship was already super-close (preferably for a long time) before getting together. I mean, these people KNOW each other so so SO well that it's easy to imagine them not only falling for each other, but staying ridiculously in love as well.
- Dating Sarah Cooper: Sarah & Katie (#ownvoices lesbian rep)
- If the Dress Fits: Martha & Max (#ownvoices Filipinx and fat rep)
- Queens of Geek: Taylor & Jamie (#ownvoices autism rep, POC characters, a bi and a lesbian character)
- Tash Hearts Tolstoy: Tash & Paul (asexual rep)
messaging with a stranger & falling for them... without knowing that the person they are messaging is someone they know IRL
Isn't this the cutest trope ever!? *cries* I loooove when we're left guessing who the character is messaging - as was the case with Simon and Blue - but also really dig knowing who the character is messaging while they are totally clueless, as seen in Letters to the Lost and Hold Me.
- Letters to the Lost: Juliet & Declan
- Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda: Simon & Blue (gay rep)
- Hold Me: Maria & Jay (trans, latina heroine and Chinese/Thai bi hero)
forced to work or live in close quarters with the love interest
You guys, I cannot be the only one who gets SO IMPATIENT when the ship barely has time to interact because they lead such different lives. WELL, that is all solved if the characters either have to live together, work together, OR BOTH. There's a lot of time for them to get to know each other, and then get together asap. Best plot device that ever was.
- Poison Study: Yelena & Valek (WOC heroine)
- The Epic Crush of Genie Lo: Genie & Quentin (#ownvoices Chinese-Am rep)
- An Extraordinary Union: Elle and Malcolm (#ownvoices black rep)
- Grave Mercy: Ismae & Duval
friend groups consisting of totally different characters
I love when a bunch of characters are thrown together by life who seem TOTALLY different... but they form one badass, strong and supportive group. 'Nuff said, I think.
- Six of Crows: Inej, Nina, Kaz, Jesper, Matthias and Wylan (lgbtq+ and various POC characters, #ownvoices disabled rep - Kaz uses a cane)
- Want: Lingyi, Iris, Zhou, Victor and Arun (Chinese - #ownvoices, Filipino, Indian and bisexual rep)
- The Diviners (especially Before the Devil Breaks You): ALL the characters. (black, Chinese characters; asexual, lesbian, gay rep; disabled rep)
- Wonder Woman: Warbringer: Diana, Alia, Nim and Theo (nearly all POC cast, a bi character)
girls supporting girls
Honestly, I don't think any words are needed for this 'trope' if it can even be called that, because who doesn't love when girls are building each other up instead of tearing each other down.
- Ten Ways To Be Adored When Landing a Lord
- A School for Unusual Girls
- Beauty Queens (trans rep, POC characters)
- Moxie (POC characters, a barely mentioned F/F pairing)