Tuesday, April 25

Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly NOT Want To Read A Book


If you regularly participate in Top Ten Tuesday (weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish), or just like to check out other people's posts, you likely know that today's topic - stuff that will make us turn away from a book fast as hell - is the exact opposite of last week's. If you've seen that post of mine, you saw (and hopefully liked) how I mentioned two books that I picked up exactly for that reason. I'm not doing that today, because the books I could bring up for some of these categories don't deserve to be promoted. At all. 


When reading my post, some of you might wonder how do I know about all those things without reading the book itself? Thanks to all the kickass bloggers' review in the community - SO THANK YOU EVERYONE for your insightful thoughts. KEEP ON BEING AWESOME. 


Please don't forget that everyone has the right to decide against reading a book based on anything (blurb, reviews, quotes) AND sharing that with the world, telling their reasons. 


I DON'T WANT TO SUPPORT THE AUTHOR FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER

There can be many reasons, to be honest. Here are two examples, but isn't limited to these: being called out on issues in their books and then failing to acknowledge them, or attacking/targeting reviewers who didn't like their works.

INCREDIBLY LONG SERIES THAT HAVE JUST STARTED

I'm mostly okay with longer series if all or most of their books have already been published. But when there's a 10 books long series and the first or second book has just been published? I'm more likely than not passing that up.

PROBLEMATIC REPRESENTATION
including: racism, homophobia, sexism and mental illness cured by love

We have enough discrimination, negativity and hatred in real life - NO ONE needs that shit to be promoted in books, much less in YA that is read by many-many teens. These problematic representations don't only justify this kind of behavior or teach the wrong things to people, BUT they also have the power to seriously hurt readers.

HALF-NAKED MALES ON THE COVERS

I don't want to carry those around, to be honest, and that's enough to be turned away from some books.

ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR ROMANTICIZED

Gah, give me a break - many teens already suffer from low self-confidence without seeing men or women mistreat their love interests without consequences. Anger-management issues are NOT sexy neither are partners who try to control your life. JUST STAAPH WITH THIS BULLSHIT, AUTHORS. 

On a side note: interesting thing is that you don't see many or any controlling, aggressive women in fiction... soooo, it's only "hot" with guys?

TOO MUCH UNNECESSARY DRAMA

It's boooring - I want a real plot, I want character development, I want world-building, I want fantastic romance, I want friendship, FAMILY - I want SO MANY THINGS, and UNNECESSARY drama? Not on the list.

BADLY WRITTEN BLURBS

Book blurbs are EVERYTHING - sure, covers matter a lot, but a cover can be as inviting as a chocolate cake, yet, I still won't pick it up if the blurb sucks. Some are too long, some are too vague and forgettable, meanwhile, others tell too much of the story, or are confusing. You bet your ass I'm not picking a book up that has a blurb that managed to confuse the hell out of me.

SECRET KEEPING

I mean, if there's a good reason why the characters can't tell each other something (as in a Fantasy novel, for one) that's fine. BUT WHEN THEY NEED ONLY TO OPEN THEIR MOUTHS TO SOLVE EVERYTHING. Give me a break. 

LOVE TRIANGLES

Why on Earth is this STILL a popular trope?? It's so so SO over-dramatic and, worst of all, many authors seem to think that adding a love triangle = adding depth to the plot and characters. NO NO NO. Can we just leave this trope behind?? 

WEAK WRITING

I'm not a writing snob, believe me, but truly weak and inconsistent writing will make me drop any book after like, a chapter. And if I see quotes taken out from a book that seem to be written in a... less than perfect way? Not picking that book up, nuh-huh.


WHAT WILL MAKE YOU INSTANTLY TURN AWAY FROM A BOOK? ANYTHING WE HAVE IN COMMON?? SHARE, SHARE!! 


25 comments:

  1. Secret Keeping is annoying! I always feel like shaking the character and telling them "You know this is going to blow up in your face, right?!".:P
    My list: http://amandanicolle.blogspot.com/2017/04/take-tenish-things-that-will-instantly.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAME. IDEK how they aren't seeing they're causing MORE problems that way?? Gah.

      Delete
  2. Your first one- totally agree. I've seen authors behaving badly or insulting others on Twitter or wherever and I'm like nope- you just lost my sale. Especially if they're really being obnoxious. Abusive behavior too- if it doesn't in RL why would I want to read about it??

    Blurbs! Good one. Hadn't thought of that, but yes so true! And secrets- probably my pet peeve. If a problem can be solved by talking and they DON'T- then they're idiots lol. I hate that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so infuriating, because authors profit from their readers, so it sucks when they can't take negative reviews OR when they are rude to their fans for no reason. God, yes, secrets are AWFUL - many characters just make me want to scream in frustration, bc it's so obvious that keeping secrets will cause more harm than good. Smh.

      Delete
  3. The first one makes me so damn angry especially if reviewers are attacked for their opinions. Like, what the hell? and I agree harmful representation is a big no but what makes me more furious is when the author just don't pay attention. There are harmful representation everywhere and a lot of people acknowledge their mistakes and try to learn from them but some others just get really defensive. Like, if someone (especially own voices) is telling you your book is problematic, you don't argue, you listen. Oh, and love triangles... can we just drop those? they are completely unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and I also saw author being offensive/condescenting to people for no reason... esp on twitter. I agree, it's really important for authors to acknowledge their mistakes & apologize & learn from them. God, love triangles are awful, can't believe they're still somewhat present in YA.

      Delete
  4. ALL of those (I had to laugh at the naked male on cover ;D), plus when the blurb mention the girl meeting/falling for the new, hot/handsome boy at school...next door...whatevs. Especially if he's apparently your epitome of bad boy. Gaaah.

    Quote:
    "interesting thing is that you don't see many or any controlling, aggressive women in fiction... soooo, it's only "hot" with guys?"
    The trope dies so hard. One would think that, with women/girls reading more than their male counterparts, they'd want things the other way around...not that it would be acceptable or sexy, but anyway. So they like to be the victims? Are you sure, authors? O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "..the BLURBS mention". *facepalms*

      Delete
    2. I'm glad I made you laugh, Roby! :D Goddd, yep, that is one horrible trope. Yeah, it's so dumb and sexist. When it's female authors writing abusive romanticized romances for a female audience... SMH.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I'm also completely turned off by books that romanticize abusive behaviour. I went to high school with someone who was later murdered by her abusive ex, so these storylines trigger some very bad memories for me. I avoid them at all costs.

    I have not seen many authors behaving badly online, though. It's fascinating that so many other people have. I hope this trend ends soon.

    Here is my Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God, that's horrible, I'm sorry. Because of how much of a problem abusive relationships are, it pisses me off when it's romanticized. THAT ATTITUDE IS NOT CUTE. And IDC if it's "only" mental abuse, that can be incredibly damaging & can easily turn into physical abuse.

      Unfortunately, I saw quite a few authors like - some because of negative reviews, others simply being ignorant/offensive to their readers. I'm scared this'll only get worse with so many authors being active on twitter, not caring who they hurt. :|

      Delete
  6. Great list!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/top-ten-tuesday-104/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Writing is definitely a discourager for me. Usually if I don't like the writing, I'll drop it within a few pages. If I drop a book later on it's usually for other plot/character related reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rare when I hate the writing so much, but it does happen, and, like you, I drop the book super-fast then.

      Delete
  8. YES to love triangles! I've only read a few books that actually utilized this trope in an interesting/positive way; otherwise it's just used for unnecessary drama.

    Bad blurbs are a turn-off too. I also have a special dislike for blurbs that give away the entire plot (which you don't always know until you start reading -.-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, there are some books that use the trope in a good way, giving depth to the store, but it's usually just to add drama. Gah.

      YES, I so agree with that. Last year I read a book that was REALLY good, but the blurb gave away important plot points that happened AFTER the 50% mark. I was SO MAD.

      Delete
  9. Yes to all of these! Especially the half-naked males on cover, though! Like you, I don't want to be carrying that book around and a lot of times the cover doesn't even correspond to what the book actually is about. I'd much rather the author spend a while designing a meaningful cover than just asking some guy with a six pack to take off his shirt. Great list, Vera!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also annoying when the story feels more like the heroine's story, and then she isn't even on the cover!? I also feel like there are ways to hint at erotic content without putting a half-naked male on the cover. Plus, at this point there are SO MANY covers like these, so they are just boring and don't stand out at all. Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Even in books, too much drama can be exhausting.

    Check out my TTT and my current giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, I'm actually not too bad with half-naked males on covers :P They're definitely not great cover designs, don't get me wrong, but I keep them hidden in my Kindle hehe. :P Everything else though is relatable. I need strong blurbs, definitely don't need problematic books/authors, and strong plots without drama (unless I'm looking for a fluff read) are what I'm here for.

    - Aila @ One Way Or An Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually opt for ebooks, too, in those cases haha. I actually like fluffy books to be all cute and MOSTLY drama free lol. I'm definitely in the minority in this, though :D

      Delete
  12. It's really unfortunate about bad blurbs, isn't it? And I totally won't read a book with half naked men on the covers xD but it's GOOD they put them there! Because it marks the contents. I think it's meant to tell us roughly what the book is about and it does its job :)

    Also, speaking of shz authors do that make you not want to read a book... I accidentally stumbled upon this guy's story before. I wonder if you've already heard about it, it's not that fresh, but OH MY GOD. I'm just going to share with you because it's both awesome and horrible at the same time :D have you heard about it? It's this guy's review and he tells all about it, with proof:
    https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1830010599?book_show_action=false

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I do read some of those books, and sometimes I'm actually baffled why they thought that was the type of cover the book needed, bc while a book may have sexual content that is not the focus of the plot. So this trope should just die, OR stick to books that truly are just steamy romance.

      YES, I heard about it yesterday, and omg WHAT THE HELL!? I saw MANY messy stuff authors have done, but this takes the cake for weird for sure. What is a premium (black magic) service, though? :'DD

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)