Tuesday, April 11

Top Ten Of The Most Unique Books I've Read


As I've had to miss the last two weeks' Top Ten Tuesdays (a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish), I'm not going to have a long-ass intro here, because I want to get onto the books already. But, just so everything's clear: today's topic is about unique books we've read. 

I managed to find these 10 beautiful and wonderful books fairly easily, because every single favorite book of mine is somewhat unique TO ME, at least, right? However, I did try to describe why I think they're original and creative and all the good things in the world to make you all read them, because they're SO GOOD. Pinky swear. 



   

WE WERE LIARS: This book, you guys, is absolutely fantastic. So, it doesn't work for a lot of people, because a) it's written in a very weird (but I swear still superb!) way and b) the heroin comes off as a tad bit selfish person, BUT I TOTALLY UNDERSTOOD WHY SHE IS THAT WAY. And the friendship, the romance, the mystery, the freaking family... EVERYTHING is perfectly written. *flails*

THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES: There are some books that address feminism, rape culture and other important and relevant topics - but none of them does it quite like this beauty right hear. Mindy McGinnis is NOT afraid to be unapologetic and to call out the characters on the dumbass, ignorant and fucked up shit they say, the same shit that's considered normal in real life by many people. Can we give a standing applause for this book??

WONDER: A book literally everyone and their parents and grandmothers and dogs and cats and hamsters should read, because it can teach everyone a lesson or two about empathy and acceptance. It's also written in a unique way, from various characters' perspective - mostly from Augie's, though - and each of their style and inner monologues are SO UNIQUE omg. Huge kudos to R. J. Palacio.

KILLING SARAI & REVIVING IZABEL: I know, I know, I keep mentioning these two books in Top Ten Tuesday topics, but they are just SO GOOD. The characters are complex and messed up, yet they form these meaningful and gorgeous relationships with each other, and I'm so here for that.

   

THE FALL: One of those books that worked for very few people, but I adored it. The writing was unique and exceptional, the atmosphere was dark as hell, while the characters were complex. Amazing thriller/horror.

A MADNESS SO DISCREET: This is Criminal Minds as a Historical Fiction when criminology was just a new idea, nuff said.

MY LADY JANE: I've tried a couple of comical and funny books, but before this one, none worked for me. However My Lady Jane was FANTASTIC. Funny and cute and lovely and badass - so it ticked all the right boxes, basically.

BEAUTY QUEENS: Somewhat similar to My Lady Jane in tone, but a lot more satirical than simply humorous, DIVERSE as hell, concentrates on feminism and girls supporting girls and it has some of the best and most original characters ever. Libba Bray is QUEEN. 

 

UPROOTED: Do you know how a lot of books' blurbs say that it has like, a creepy forest full of darkness? AND THEN IT'S NEVER TRUE. But, damn, was it true for Uprooted. Also, wonderful cast of characters, great romance, freaking amazing plot. AND IT'S A BEAUTY AND THE BEAST RETELLING. Everything was perfect, tbh.

ILLUMINAE: The whole book is told through the most unique formats, including instant messages, interviews and other documents, yet it's still really easy to fall in love with the characters, so it was awesome, to say the least.



Have you read any of these novels? What is the most unique book you've ever read? Least unique book? 

26 comments:

  1. I need to read The Female of the Species & I pre-ordered the paperback edition of My Lady Jane because it sounds really fun! I didn't get along with Uprooted and had to put it down. Maybe I'll read it someday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm so glad you want to read both - I definitely think they are absolutely kickass. Pity about Uprooted, but I don't expect everyone to like the same books as I do haha.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, so many good ones up there. I agree, We Were Liars has an interesting style to the writing, and how I loved that book! The Illuminae Files have such an awesome format. I love books with mixed formats. My Lady Jane so funny! A book I found unique, was Every Day by David Levithan. The way A slipped in and out of people's lives and being. I thought Levithan did a masterful job with that concept.
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We Were Liars was SO FANTASTIC. Hands down one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. As for Illuminae, def the most unique formatting I've ever encountered. I didn't really like Every Day *hides* BUT I do think it was unique, I just had problems with A.

      Delete
  3. Great list! I loved We Were Liars and considered adding it to my list this week. I hope to get to Illuminae soon. I've seen it on a number of posts today.

    http://jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2017/04/top-ten-tuesday-most-unique-books-i.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ooh, do read Illuminae! It's one of the most unique formatting ever.

      Delete
  4. I keep hearing so many good things about We Were Liars. And my daughter LOVED Wonder. I've been wanting to read Beauty Queens ever since I read Libba Bray's book Going Bovine. So many books... :D

    Here is my TTT. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We Were Liars was FANTASTIC, so was Wonder. Ooh, Beauty Queens of PERFECT. I need to read Going Bovine, though!

      Delete
  5. I loved We Were Liars. Definitely a unique twist there.
    My TTT: http://www.book-chatter.com/?p=1479

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beauty Queens was insane! I loved how all the girls' pageant skills doubled as survival skills. Also, you're like the fifth person to recommend My Lady Jane so I think I'm going to have to try it ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. And I loved how no one was deemed useless, everyone's skills were important. You totally should, it's a fantastic book!

      Delete
  7. Oh yeah We Were Liars! Forgot about that one. The Female of the Species looks awesome, and yeah Illuminae. I don't know if you've read gemina yet or not, but I just finished and LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We Were Liars was SO GOOD. The author has an adult mystery coming out this year AND I CAN'T WAIT. I did & I loved it - maybe even more than Illuminae! Can't wait for the 3rd book!

      Delete
  8. YES! "A Madness So Discreet" was so wonderful. I'm glad someone put this on their list this week!

    A read "Uprooted", I didn't absolutely love it, but it was enjoyable and certainly unique!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame A Madness So Discreet wasn't hyped up more, because it's honestly one of my favorite books ever. Oh, well, that's a pity, but glad you at least enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  9. I loved wonder as well- I keep forgetting about so many great books when writing my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, SAME. It's hard to keep all this in mind. I usually use Goodreads for lists. :)

      Delete
  10. Madness So Discreet was a little bit peculiar for me to keep reading, but now that you mentioned Criminal minds, I suddenly have an urge to go read it! BECAUSE CRIMINAL MINDS!!!!
    I can't wait to read My Lady Jane, I have a copy, but the book is tooooo long....I shall get to it one day, hopefully!

    Check out my list here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! GO, READ IT. It's legit Criminal Minds only without the computers and shit & at like, the beginning of criminology.
      Haha, believe me, when you dive into it, My Lady Jane won't feel long. It's super-easy to read & fun all through. :)

      Delete
  11. Ah, I've only read two of these so I obviously need to check out some of the others because I love books that are uniquely written. I definitely have to agree with you on Beauty Queens and We Were Liars. I absolutely LOVED how different they were!

    Libba Bray is totally Queen. I cannot wait for the third Diviners book this year *screams excitedly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beauty Queens was SO UNIQUE. I was super-scared of it, because I'm not a huge fan of satirical novels, but, of course, Libba Bray managed to sweep me off my feet with this. I LOVE her books, but I still haven't read the second Diviner's book & Going Bovine. I'M SO SCARED OF DISAPPOINTMENT.

      Delete
  12. Such great picks, Veronika! Killing Sarai was so good. I mean, how often do you fall for cold-blooded assassins? lol (Note to self: need to continue this series stat!)

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Not often enough hahaha, Victor, though. *flails*

      Delete
  13. The Fall! I loved that one! Glad to see it make your list. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was FANTASTIC omg, can't believe so few people love it. :(

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)