Friday, February 3

Jenny Han - P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before #2)

"You can break my heart. Do whatever you want with it."

Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.

She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.


When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?


In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.



I didn't expect to pick this book up as soon as I finished the first because it ended on a fairly closed ending, ergo the suspense wouldn't surely kill me? But then I couldn't bear not knowing what would exactly happen and I just had to dive into it. I finished both the books within a span of 10 hours and that's crazy because of all I should have done in that time instead- like sleep. And study. This is surely proof of Jenny Han's addictive writing- she has such a way with words that it makes everything seem gorgeous. 

“I know now that I don’t want to love or be loved in half measures. I want it all, and to have it all, you have to risk it all.”

In this sequel to To All the Boys I've Loved Before that starts right where the previous left off, we see Lara Jean head into a relationship with the ridiculously amazing Peter Kavinsky. She isn't sure how things would come to be or where she stands with Peter (I wanted to scream), but she decides to go ahead and see what happens anyway. What turns out to be a swoonworthy romance is then threatened by Peter K.'s ex-girlfriend and Lara Jean's former best friend, Genevieve. She turns out to be someone quite fond of stirring up trouble and there were times when I really couldn't understand why Peter K. was being good to her. 

We see the same characters from book one, plus a few more new ones and I loved how Han handled them. There's sufficient space given to each character and everyone has something to contribute. John makes a comeback here as expected and while he wasn't particularly unlikable, I still wished he'd disappear off the face of the earth and just let my ship sail in all its glory. But of course, that was not to be. 

“People come in and out of your life. For a time they are your world; they are everything. And then one day they’re not. There’s no telling how long you will have them near.” 

A couple of misunderstandings and heated exchanges of words later, we see poor Peter K. nursing his broken heart and Lara Jean discovering she has feelings for John (!!!!!)- but it wasn't as horrifying as it sounds. I loved how things turned out and I only hope John Mc-whatever-whatever learns to keep his feelings to himself...or better still, fall for someone, anyone, else!

Just as in the previous book, we have fabulous family dynamics here too. We see how Lara Jean's and Margot's relationship has changed, but not necessarly for the worse. Kitty is as adorable and meddling as ever and their dad is oh-so-blissfully unaware of her desperate match-making attempts. I loved how they all came together as a family for Lara Jean when something scandalous happened and I loved how they helped her through it. We see more of Chris, Lara Jean's best friend of sorts here, and I loved their relationship. Ohhh, and I also absolutely adored how Peter Kavinsky treated Kitty- she was in total awe of him and he always went out of his way to make her feel special and it was so, so beautiful. Peter K. was truly the best. *heart eyes* 

“There’s a Korean word my grandma taught me. It’s called jung. It’s the connection between two people that can’t be severed, even when love turns to hate. You still have those old feelings for them; you can’t ever completely shake them loose of you; you will always have tenderness in your heart for them.” 

We get more of their Korean culture here, and more of Lara Jean's baking and the food descriptions are sure to make you drool. I loved how Lara Jean baked for everyone, be it to get on the good books of Kitty or for Peter. I loved how Lara Jean grew as a person all throughout the story, and it's only more in this book. She makes more friends, understands herself more and falls even more head over heels in love. I loved seeing how Lara Jean interacted with Peter Kavinsky's friends and the way they treated her. It was good to see more of their past, and even though Genevieve was such a pain, it was still good to see how things went with her.

P.S. I Still Love You is the perfect sequel, and Jenny Han's fabulously addictive writing makes it one beautiful, easy read indeed. I loved the pacing of the book and I loved how everything flowed smoothly. It's only after reading this book that I realized there's going to be another one, and though I'm happy with how things ended here, I can't wait to see what the author has in store for us! John better learn to stay away from my ship is all I'm saying.

“Sometimes I like you so much I can’t stand it. It fills up inside me, all the way to the brim, and I feel like I could overflow. I like you so much I don’t know what to do with it. My heart beats so fast when I know I’m going to see you again. And then, when you look at me the way you do, I feel like the luckiest girl in the world.” 

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 5/5
The characters: 5/5
The cover: 5/5
Enjoy factor: 5/5
   

4 comments:

  1. I just love this book series so much!! I loved the Korean culture in this book and I loved all the baking! It just added more sugary sweetness to the entire thing. When I found out Jenny was writing another book I literally screamed lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes, - the Korean culture and the baking were some of the best highlights of this series, and omg, I was SO excited when I learnt there'd be another book! I didn't know this was going to be a trilogy when I picked the first book up, so I'm kinda glad I was so late to join this bandwagon, lol- less time to wait for the grand finale! :D

      Delete
  2. I read the first book so long ago and I just never got around to this one! I'm kicking myself though because I loved the first one so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no- you simply MUST pick this one up soon, too! You sure wouldn't regret it!!! <3

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)