Tuesday, February 14

10 Fan-Freaking-Tastic Hate To Love Relationships


Hello lovelies! Today's Top Ten Tuesday (a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) is all about romance, relationship and love, due to today being Valentine's Day! After some thinking, I decided to dedicate this post to ten hate to love relationships that were fan-freaking-tastic. I honestly thought it'd be hard to find ten of such relationships that I loved, but it seems like I'm quite a big fan of this trope, so reducing my list of favorites to ten ended up being a huge problem. BUT I MANAGED. 

Let me present the ten bestest hate to love romances I've ever read about & I couple of honorable mentions. LET'S FANGIRL TOGETHER.


Elizabeth Benett and Mr. Darcy
from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen


Love it or hate it - but, seriously, HOW can you hate it?? - you kind of have to admit that this is the ultimate hate to love relationship. No offense to any other authors successfully using this trope, but Jane Austen freaking invented hate to love romance. The arguments and THE BANTER between these two are something to live for. And when they finally got together? My heart EXPLODED, I tell you. NEED TO REREAD ASAP.

Sydney and Adrian
from the Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead


These two are some of my all time favorite characters and a terrific otp, in my opinion, so there was no question about them getting a place on this list. Their relationship might not be the classic hate to love one, because a) I don't think Adrian hated Sydney, and b) Sydney dislikes Morio in general more than Adrian himself, BUT Sydney still had to fight her prejudice towards Morio and Adrian's less than serious persona.

Blue and Gansey
from The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater


It's safe to say that Blue was judging Gansey preeeetty hard after their first meeting and her dislike towards him was enormous (I mean, she literally thought she might cause his death... with her own hands lol). Gansey may not have been feeling all that - I'm pretty sure he was actually confused over why Blue disliked him so - BUT THE WAY THEY LEARNT TO UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER????? TOO BEAUTIFUL not to include them on this list.

Nina and Matthias
from the Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo


THESE TWO THESE TWO THESE TWO. I really don't want to say anything about them, because I think it's best going into the duology without knowing too much about the characters, but I'll say that Nina and Matthias have one of the best hate to love relationship ever. They argue and banter and awwww I just LOVE them, because they learn to understand where the other was coming from and LOVE EACH OTHER SO DEEPLY. Too pure for this world. *sobs*

Nyx and Ignifex
from Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge


Like with others mentioned above, it was only one part of the couple who hated the other one, namely Nyx, but the amount of hatred she had for Ignifex was enough for both of them, to be honest. Her feelings didn't just changed FOR NO REASON - I'm looking at you, The Wrath and the Dawn - she kept on viciously hating him for quite some time, and even when she realized she was attracted to him, she still didn't put aside her wrath, she kept on fighting him. HECK, EVEN WHEN SHE LOVED HIM, SHE CHOSE THE BEST FOR HER PEOPLE, NOT FOR HIM. Gosh, I love Nyx and these two together.

Mac and Barrons
from the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning


Obviously, I had to include some adult titles in this post, because they seem to adore the hate to love trope, and Mac and Barrons are the perfect example of a well-made one. They work together, because it's a necessity, but man, do they hate each other for a loooong time. What I love about them - which, I guess could also be frustrating to some - is that even when they don't even dislike each other anymore, at all, THEY STICK TO THEIR ROUTINE AND IT'S THE FUNNIEST THING EVER. 

Em and Finn
from All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill


Do you know those people you actually hate, but have to hang out with them, because they're close friends with YOUR close friend? Em and Finn were that person for each other, but then EVERYTHING changed - no, I'm not over-exaggerating - and they had to work together, AND FELL  IN LOVE, FORMING THE MOST ADORABLE COUPLE EVER. 

Katy and Daemon
from the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Katy and Daemon are easily one of the most snarky and hot YA couple ever. They fight, well, all the damn time, but what I like about them is how neither of them is a push over. Sure, Daemon is a big ass to Katy - for pretty valid reasons, though - but she never lets him get away with it. I love that even when he proceeds to ask for a real chance with her, she's not ready to give it to him for quite some time. YOU GO, GIRL.

Lilac and Tarver
from These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner


I live for Tarver's sarcasm and Lilac's strength, so when these two got together? MIND = BLOWN. But before that they went through a phase when they absolutely couldn't stand each other - especially Tarver had some hard feelings towards Lilac - for reasons I can't mention, because #spoilers. Their scenes together were total perfection - they're seriously one of the most gorgeously written couples out there.

Jemma and Ryder 
from Magnolia by Kristi Cook


Magnolia is one of the cutest books I've ever read, to be honest. It tells the story of Jemma and Ryder who are sworn enemies, instead of being madly in love, as their families would like to. Yep, this is kind of like Romeo and Juliet situation, but in reverse, with the mothers being obsessed with uniting their families through Jemma and Ryder. I LOVE THE WAY THEY HATE EACH OTHER, BUT HAVE SECRET FEELINGS AND AWW, TOO CUTE. Unfortunately, there's some unnecessary drama thrown in, but Jemma and Ryder couldn't be more adorable together if they tried. 

One a side note, I'm so so SO thankful for writing this post, because I realized just while making it that THERE'S GOING TO BE A SEQUEL - a longer novella - THAT COMES OUT TODAY. *flails*

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

   

Jocelyn and Braden // Sarai and Victor // Merit and Ethan // Kestrel and Arin

HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THESE? AREN'T THESE COUPLES JUST THE BEST?
WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE ROMANCE TROPE AND FAVORITE HATE-TO-LOVE RELATIONSHIPS? 




30 comments:

  1. I love hate/love relationships! This post pleases me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to see Em and Finn on your list! :D

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so underappreciated, right? :(

      Delete
  3. It cracks me up that you have Pride and Prejudice on your list and then all of your other choices are very modern choices. It makes me smile. PandP is timeless! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like any list about hate to love relationships without PandP is WRONG haha, because that's such a classic. Those two are too epic.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant list! :-) I do like reading hate/love relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Pride & Prejudice has to be the gold standard. :) And it's nice to see Six of Crows on here since I just won Crooked Kingdom, so I'll definitely be reading those. All Our Yesterdays looks awesome too, I remember seeing that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! P&P is a total classic. Ooh, I hope you'll love the SoC duology, aka two of my favorite books of 2016. All Our Yesterdays was pretty awesome, as well - truly unique in some aspects & Finn is so cute and fun.

      Delete
  6. I like the topic choice. I've read most of these and OMG yes they are so true. I especially love Sydrian and Blue/Gansey! My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yay, *highfive* for common faves! :)

      Delete
  7. Your top two choices would have been my top too as well. Love Dameon and Katy too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely agree with Darcy and Elizabeth! I mean, have you ever met a more perfect couple while being so...imperfect? Honestly I felt like their banter made their relationship work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY. They're so freaking perfect for each other, yet that's not something either one of them expected for the longest time. I LOVE THEM.

      Delete
  9. Nina and Matthias were such a fantastic hate to love romance!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I hated Adrien and Sydney - Lupe adores them, though. I just hate Adrien's keen ability to be drunk all the time, XD. I also hated Katy and Daemon - never finished the series beyond book two, unfortunately (I HAD HIGH HOPES THOUGH).

    I loved Nina and Matthias though... (though my ultimate ship is Kaz and Inej)

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts (And our ever so rare TTT)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELL, THANK YOU FOR DRAGGING MY SHIPS, SHOPHIA. lol Anyhow, I can understand why you'd hate them, but I still think they were kickass. YESS, Inej and Kaz are my ultimate OTP at the moment, but they didn't fit into this topic, unfortunately. *cries*

      Delete
  11. One of my all time favourite romance tropes!

    Nina and Matthais were my two fave characters in that series, partly because their romance was adorable.

    I'll admit, I was a hard sell on Adrian and Sydney. Mostly because I ADORE Adrian and didn't particularly like Sydney after the VA series was over (so I didn't want to burden Adrian with her). But I really grew to like her as a character (really by the end of the first book) and their romance was just perfect <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine were Inej and Kaz, but Nina and Matthias were close seconds. I love them together. *cries*

      Haha, we were kinda opposites in that, because I disliked Adrian so much that I wasn't even going to read Bloodlines lol. AND LOOK HOW I FEEL NOW. I think they were a pretty awesome duo, but I do feel like the romance could have done without being so cheesy towards the end. #unpopularopinion STILL A FAVORITE OTP, THOUGH.

      Delete
  12. I've been meaning to read Magnolia for FOREVER!!! I just love it when two characters hate each others guts and then start liking each other. It's rather entertaining XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with that - and these two were particularly entertaining, because they actually used to like each other before and then sg happened, and now they... ah, just read it haha!

      Delete
  13. I really consider hate-to-love romances hit or miss for me. (After all, I've seen them done epically badly.) BUT, all these on here that I've read, I love. Nyx & Ignifex, Em & Finn, (gosh, I actually completely forgot about them!) and Lilac & Tarver. And, of course, Elizabeth & Darcy - without a doubt THE hate-to-love romance. I've not read past The Winner's Curse (yet, of course) but so far I do really like Kestrel & Arin together as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they definitely are a hit or miss for me, too. Kestrel and Arin are, unfortunately, a couple that was a total hit for me at first, but then I kind of disliked them for awhile?? Hope that won't happen to you, Amy!

      Delete
  14. Yes, yes, yes to Daemon and Katy! That was some series hate to love there. :)

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek, they were so sexy and cute, right?

      Delete
  15. A sequel to Magnolia?! Yes please - glad you mentioned it because I had no idea! Also, I really need to read the Karen Marie Moning books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want it SO BADLY, but I'm also scared, bc don't hurt these cuties, please! You totally should! I'm only the fan of the first 5 - the 'original' series - and gave up after the 6th, but maybe I'll still continue because those 5 books were KICKASS.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)