Tuesday, January 17

Ten Ridiculously Underrated Books You Need To Read Like Right Now



Here's a hello and a smile to all of you little muffins. *beams* Why am I so ecsatitc? IDK... oh wait, MAYBE BECAUSE THERE'S FINALLY A CHANCE FOR ME TO SCREAM ABOUT SOME MASSIVELY AND UNFAIRLY UNDERRATED BOOKS I'D DIE FOR. *takes calming breath* 

Wait, what are you saying? Oh yeah, that... sure, technically speaking I could do that in every single post, but now I have actual motivation thanks to this week's Top Ten Tuesday (weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) topic. So huge thanks to whoever came up with this topic - you rock. 



We could argue for days about which books are underrated, as that's a pretty subjective word, but I'd rather just shove these beauties into your face now and argue about their underratedness (totally a word) later. 

By the way, I've read all of these titles in 2016 & you should too!! Well, not in 2016, obviously, because time travel doesn't exist - bummer, I know - but in 2017 for sure. For the sake of easing your task of adding these to your TBR list, all covers lead to Goodreads. Thank me later when you're furiously adding these awesome-sauce titles to your wishlist. *flips hair*




   

Yesternight by Cat Winters
(review)
  • adult mystery spiced up with some paranormal aspects
  • incredibly atmospheric writing
  • morally gray, super-well crafted characters
  • stands up for women's rights big time
  • yet, it only has 351 ratings right now - HELP IT GET MORE RECOGNITION, OK?
The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall by Katie Alender
  • ya mystery, thriller, horror
  • the ominous atmosphere is spot on
  • has one of the most realistic teen heroines ever
  • manages to give me the chills and the feels at the same time #whatisthissorcery
  • yet, it has little more than 3000 ratings on Goodreads... booo :(
Under-Rose Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall
  • ya about a young girl living with agorophobia and OCD
  • romance doesn't magically cure MC's mental illness (I know, so surprising)
  • adorable romance that has all the awkwardness of first love
  • kickass mother-daughter relationship
  • SO FEW RATINGS FOR SUCH A MAGNIFICENT NOVEL (though it's just been published in the US, so I have hope)
Frozen Charlotte by Alex Bell
  • ya, horror
  • teeny tiny dolls have never been creepier
  • that twist, though
  • interesting and well-made supporting cast
  • takes place in Scotland
  • literally just a few more than 1000 ratings - WUT EVEN
  


The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis
  • ya contemporary, thriller 
  • the perfect blend of genres
  • there's never been a more honest book about rape culture #fact
  • realistic, unique, badass characters who deal with tons of shit in their lives
  • has less than 3000 ratings on Goodreads *sobs*
A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis
  • ya historical fiction, mystery, thriller
  • impressive portrayal of mental health issues & mental institutions of that time
  • basically, Criminal Minds when criminology had only just crossed a few people's minds
  • morally gray MC whose strength and courage made me tear up
  • yet, less than 4000 people rated it on Goodreads *curls up in a ball*
An Inquiry Into Love and Death by Simone St. James
  • adult, historical fiction, romance with ghosts
  • Simone St. James is one of my biggest discoveries of 2016 - all thanks to the wonderful Clare from Dual Reads <3
  • emotional, cute, creepy and mysterious all at once
  • on point portrayal of the era (in my opinion)
  • how on Earth does it still have less than 3000 ratings, then?? #unfair
4-star-reads

  

Inferno (Blood for Blood #2) by Catherine Doyle 
  • ya contemporary romance mixed with the mafia
  • realistic teenage MC who isn't perfect & makes mistakes
  • this is how you portray female friendship, ok?
  • Luca *heart eyes*
  • little more than 1100 ratings, cuz people don't know what are the cool books pff
Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco
  • ya historical fiction about Jack the Ripper (oh wait, was that obvious from the title? my bad)
  • feminist as fuck
  • MC is proud of being both girly and badass/smart/powerful/feminist
  • kinda strange, but well-written romance
The Blazing Star by Imani Josey
  • ya fantasy, time travel
  • takes place in ancient Egypt
  • wonderful portrayal of twins' relationship
  • MC goes through terrific development
  • RANT: everyone was so ready to support it before the publication and somehow all those people still haven't had time to read this one, so not even a 100 ratings???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? this may not be perfect, but it's still good and deserves a lot more recognition... 
Honorable Mentions:


   
(Timekeeper received only 3 stars from me, but that's more on me than on the book, I think)


PS: I've just realized that I actually made a similar post in July (but with less flailing, so that's ok, not totally the same huh) - for TTT, as well - so head over there if you want to see a couple of other killer underrated books. 

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE UNDERRATED NOVELS?
AND AUTHORS?
ANY I SHOULD DEFINITELY CHECK OUT RIGHT THIS SECOND?

25 comments:

  1. I loved Summer Days and Summer Nights! Great list!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That was a fun little short story collection, right? :D

      Delete
  2. Under Rose- Tainted Skies is on my TBR after seeing several good reviews. I can't wait to read it (and yay that romance doesn't just "cure" her- thank you for realism). Stalking Jack the Ripper- yeah. :)

    Summer Days and Summer Nights definitely had some nice stories in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really, really hope you'll Under Rose-Tainted Skies. I definitely thought it came through that the author really knew what the MC was going through. Super-emotional and realistic.

      Delete
  3. I have so many of these on my TBR!! And I also just added The Blazinf Star - so thanks for spotlighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll love The Blazing Star - the author has a lot to develop, but she also deserves tons more recognition than she's now. :)

      Delete
  4. Love your list, love your bullets even more. I agree with your rant, why all the love before publishing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Exactly! Some books are pushed before the publication and then just sort of forgotten... :|

      Delete
  5. I liked Female of the Species a lot! I need to read Under Rose-Tainted Skies too. Great list!
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad you did! Hope you'll love UR-TS! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I like how you did the bullet points with every book. I've been seeing Under Rose-Tainted Skies around quite a bit and people have definitely been singing its praises, so I'm really excited to read that one. Also, I definitely bought a copy of Stalking Jack the Ripper that I haven't read yet--Obviously I need to read it soon! Great list!

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yess, I'm so glad UR-TS received mostly positive feedback, because it deserves all the love and appreciation in the world. Stalking Jack the Ripper was so good - I looooved the romance, and am eagerly awaiting the 2nd book. Hope you'll love these two! :)

      Delete
  7. I just finished The Female of the Species and omg I loved it!! It was spot on the rape culture, and the thrilling aspect of it just blew me away! Definitely such an underrated book for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess, so glad you loved The Female of the Species!! Such a wonderful, unique and important book to read.

      Delete
  8. Ooh I've been wanting to read about half of these books!!! ESPECIALLY "Amy Chelsea Stacie Dee" even though dolls creep me out SO FREAKING MUCH. I'm adding like all of these to my TBR list on Goodreads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy Chelsea Stacie Dee was so good - kinda different from what I expected (less thriller-like, because it was mostly the MC getting used to being free), but totally great, nonetheless. Hope you'll love it. :)

      Delete
  9. I want to read Stalking Jack the Ripper!! It sounds really good.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/01/top-ten-tuesday-ten-underratedhidden.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's def amazing - hope you'll love it!! :)

      Delete
  10. Several of these are on my TBR, glad to see you enjoyed them!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/17/top-ten-tuesday-92/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard about Under Rose Tainted Skies and I've wanted to read that book. Great list!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should, because it's one of the most heartfelt, beautifully-written novels ever. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  12. How have so few people read The Female of the Species??? It's incredible!! Also - yay for Simone St. James!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cat Winters and Mindy McGinnis are two of my favorites - they definitely need all the attention they can get! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen a couple of really excellent reviews for Under Rose Tainted Skies. I need to check that one out. And Amy Chelsea Stacie Dee has been on my radar for several months now. It sounds so good!
    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)