Tuesday, December 6

Totally Kickass Authors I've Discovered in 2016


Hello loves. Today's Top Ten Tuesday (a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) topic is all about the awesome-souce authors I discovered in 2016. I was a tad bit afraid of this topic, thinking I wouldn't be able to find 10, but in the end I had a hard time picking *only* ten. #crazy

2016 has been a pretty good year reading-wise for me, if nothing else, the talented, new-to-me authors on this list showcase that. Let's take a look at them, shall we? 

*in no particular order, because that was impossible*


Susan Dennard

  

books read by her: Something Strange and Deadly trilogy
want to read: Truthwitch

Mindy McGinnis

 

books read by her: A Madness So Discreet, The Female of the Species
want to read: Not a Drop To Drink, Given to the Sea

George Orwell


books read by him: Animal Farm
want to read:  1984, Down and Out in Paris and London, Homage to Catalonia, 

J. A. Redmerski

 

books read by her: Killing Sarai, Reviving Izabel
want to read: rest of this series

Kelly Oram

  

books read by her: Cinder & Ella, The Avery Shaw Experiment, The Libby Garrett Intervention
want to read: If We Were a Movie, Happily Ever After, V is for Virgin

V. E. Schwab

  

books read by her: Vicious, The Archived, The Unbound (This Savage Song-DNF)
want to read: Vengeful, A Darker Shade of Magic, The Near Witch

Brandon Sanderson
  

books read by him: The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages
want to read: basically, everything by him

Markus Zuzak


book read by him: The Book Thief
want to read: I Am the Messenger

C. S. Pacat
   

books read by her: Captive Prince trilogy
want to read: whatever she comes up with next

Naomi Novik

book read by her: Uprooted
want to read: nothing at the moment, but whatever new she comes up next, I'm giving it a chance

What authors have YOU discovered in 2016?
Do we have any common faves?

25 comments:

  1. I really need to read Brandon Sanderson! I bought the Mistborn trilogy a while back but my brother immediately stole them so I'm going to have to steal them back!!
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just HAVE TO steal them back, because it's one of the most fantastic trilogies I've ever read. The magic system is SO UNIQUE & the characters are awesome.

      Delete
  2. I have so many of these books on my TBR it is unreal! I read George Orwell's Animal Farm way back when for my GCSE exams and I also read his 1984 when I was in secondary school for fun and it creeped me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started 1984 at the end of the summer, but it wasn't something I was ready for then, so I ended up putting it on hold. Hope you'll enjoy the books that are on your tbr. :)

      Delete
  3. Great list! I absolutely loved The Book Thief and it's great to see that you've given Animal Farm a go too! I definitely need to read 1984 too. I'm also hoping to read some V.E. Schwab at some point too - hopefully next year.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! The Book Thief was so damn beautiful. Heart = broken. Hope you'll be able to read sg by Schwab soon, not everything she wrote has worked for me so far, but she's def talented and unique.

      Delete
  4. I have read Kelly Oram before, and really enjoyed her books. I read Truthwitch this year and it has made me want to read this series Susan Dennard's other series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She writes such cute, but still meaningful novels, right? Eek, glad you enjoyed Truthwitch, bc I heard kind of mixed things.

      Delete
  5. Great list! A lot of these authors have books on my TBR: Susan Dennard, Mindy McGinnis, V.E. Schwab.
    I absolutely love Marcus Zusak, The Book Thief made me cry so hard! I've only read Steelheart from Brandon Sanderson and I definitely need to read the rest of his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! McGinnis is A GENIUS, I tell you. Also, Vicious by Schwab? Deserves all the hype. THE BOOK THIEF BROKE MY HEART AND THEN JUMPED ON THE REMAINING PIECES REPEATEDLY. *cries* HELL, YEAH! You totally should try more novels by Sanderson.

      Delete
  6. Mindy McGinnis made my list this week too. I've only read The Female of the Species so far. I really want to read her other books! I have Uprooted high on my wishlist.

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Female of the Species was a masterpiece, but I actually liked A Madness So Discreet more. Hope you'll enjoy her other works. Uprooted is hands down one of the best fantasies I've ever read.

      Delete
  7. I so have to read The Female of the Species!! Ahhh it looks so much like something I would love. And isn't Markus Zusak just a genius of all kinds?! God I loved the Book Thief!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I THINK YOU'D ADORE THAT, EM!! Can't wait to see your thoughts on it. YES, HE'S AWESOME. I'll have to finally give chance to his other works.

      Delete
  8. You discovered some great authors! I love Mindy McGinnis and Victoria Schwab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brandon Sanderson is great! Definitely check out some of his other series besides Mistborn as well. I thought Female of the Species was INTENSE. It's a good book though. And I'm definitely going to read some more of V.E. Schwab's stuff in 2017. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His world building and character portrayal are exceptional, so I definitely will. NEED MORE TIME FOR READING. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  10. I really want to read Vicious ! Great list!
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! Oooh, I really want to read Susan Dennard's other series since I read Truthwitch earlier this year. I actually started The Book Thief this spring but didn't like it, so I DNF'd it. I really want to read Uprooted though, and I loved Victoria Schwab's This Savage Song

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely need to start Sanderson! Great choices!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved Kelly Oram's V is for Virgin so I definitely need to check out The Avery Shaw Experiment and Cinder and Ella! and Vicious is high on my list for next year. I still need to read The Book Thief though... before it becomes unacceptable not to have read it!

    Great List, Happy Reading
    Rachel @ Paein-and-Ms4Tune

    ReplyDelete
  14. You discovered some great authors this year, especially Markus Muzak. Book Thief is such a great book. It has been a while since I read I Am The Messenger, but I'm pretty sure I enjoyed that one, too. I hope he writes another one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YESSS to Kelly Oram, V.E. Schwab and Brandon Sanderson! You should absolutely read V is for Virgin, A Darker Shade of Magic, and everything ever by Brandon. May I recommend Warbreaker? :D

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)