Thursday, December 22

Best of 2016 - What Reading Meant for Me This Year


Now that I've shown you guys all the wonderful books and authors I discovered this year, let's see how 2016 was for me, reading-wise in general, because you guys obviously need to hear about all the wonderful stuff this year meant for me, even though it was an equally shitty year as well. 

Anyhoo, in today's post, I'll just be highlighting everything reading-wise I did that stands out from my normal routine, or things that just are worth mentioning. I won't be looking at all the books I read of course-you can check them out here, if interested. Without further ado, let's begin!

This year, I made it a point to read books with interesting themes, though I couldn't really read as many as I would have liked to. Below are the best of the books I read that all deal with important subjects:







      
  

Diverse books were given prominence too, and apart from the diverse ones mentioned above, I read quite a few other diverse books. However, I really felt like I need to up my game when it comes to these books and this lead me to a very impulsive decision: to join #DiversityDecBingo! When I say impulsive, I mean very impulsive- so much that I didn't even pause to think how busy this month would be! I'm kinda not really doing great at this challenge right now, but I hope to somehow reach my target! You can join too- it's still not too late!


This year also saw the entry of Sophie Kinsella and Cecelia Ahern, two of my mostest favorite authors, into YA, and they both totally scored, imo. Though I was initially quite wary, I ended up loving both their books and I can't wait to see what else they come up with! 

 

This year also saw the return of Suze in The Mediator, and while it didn't quite hit the bullseye, it was good to see where things went between her and Jesse (I also read this series for the first time this year, thanks to Vera!). 

We also saw what was touted to be the eighth story in the Harry Potter series- something I was equal parts apprehensive and excited about. I ended up loving it, but no way will I ever think of it as the eighth Harry Potter story...Just no, please. 

Oh, and we also had Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them this year, but I'm strangely extremely uninterested in it, and it may or may not have something to do with Johnny Depp's casting in it. 


 


No wrap up post about this year would be complete without me mentioning The Spinster Club series by Holly Bourne. I absolutely loved these books to bits, and it helped me rediscover the feminist in me. If you haven't read this yet, I urge you to- you won't be disappointed!

  

Well, so that was a quick look at what stood out, reading-wise, for me this year! Have you read any of these books? Or are you interested in any of these? Let's talk- comment away!

8 comments:

  1. I loved Finding Audrey! It was so fresh and amazingly written! I loved the take it gave on mental illness. I really need to read almost everything on your list here, 2017 is going to be the year where I just sit down and read all of Ruzaika's recommendations lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh how I wish someone would dedicate a whole year to read books rec'd by ME omg. Thanks for the idea, Em, I'm totally recruiting people to do that soon since I can't very well make you do it buhahaHAHAHA :D And yes, Finding Audrey was such a lovely book and I'm so happy Kinsella's first YA book turned out so great!

      Delete
  2. I loved Finding Audrey, but I've never heard of any of these other ones (well, except for Cursed Child). I really want to read more diverse books this upcoming year, so I'll make sure to check all these out! My Heart and Other Black Holes has been on my TBR for awhile, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad you loved Finding Audrey too, Adalyn! You simply must give My Heart... a chance- it was superb :)) I'd love to see what you think of some of the other titles here too!

      Delete
  3. I was apprehensive of Finding Audrey because I got tired of reading Kinsella's adult work (they all started to blend together for me) but I've only heard great things about Finding Audrey. I didn't get to it this year, but I hope to next year.

    Glad you had a great reading year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, her books certainly did tend to feel repetitive at times, which is why I thought it great that she decided to venture into YA. It was completely refreshing to see her tackle the issues in Finding Audrey. DO give it a try!

      Delete
  4. It looks like you had a good reading year! I also started to actively look for diversity books and read them, but I'm still not reading nearly enough, so I joined a readathon and Diversity Bingo 2017 (which I think is a continuation of the one above). And I'm excited! And oh man, I still need to read The Cursed Child and read/watch Fantastic Beasts. I've heard such mixed things, and right now I'm rereading the HP series, so I will probably wait a bit and let the hype die down first. I'm both wary and excited though. I hope you have another lovely reading year, Ruzaika!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes- Diversity Bingo is a continuation of Diveristy Dec Bingo- I'm doing this too! Haha, go into Cursed Child with an open mind, and remember it's a scriptbook- you'll be fine :D I haven't yet watched or read Fantastic Beasts because, well, Johnny Depp's casting kind of put me off it :/ Wish you have a superb readig year too, Holly!!

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)