Saturday, December 17

Best of 2016 - Authors Who Swept Me Off My Feet


This is no doubt a golden age for YA literature, with books of various genres seeing daylight everyday. Out of all the authors I've come across this year, I'll be highlighting a few who I wouldn't hesitate to swear by in today's post. These authors all managed to impress me right away, so much so that I had to check out other works by them or wait in anticipation for their next to come and slay me.

(Click on the covers for the Goodreads page!)

Jasmine Warga's My Heart and Other Black Holes touched me in a way no other book managed to this year, and what's particularly impressive is that this is the author's debut! Filled with the most quotable quotes, this book has beautiful writing and memorable characters, and is frankly one of the best books that dealt with depression I've ever read. 


I was over the moon when I got the chance to review What's a Girl Gotta Do? by Holly Bourne and I'm so thankful for this because I wouldn't have otherwise discovered this wonderful author anytime soon, what with my overflowing TBR and all. The Spinster Club series is all about three fabulous teens who are fiery advocates of feminism. Am I Normal Yet? deals with mental health as well (OCD to be specific), How Hard Can Love Be? deals with first love and family among other things and What's A Girl Gotta Do? is all about feminism. The Manifesto of How to be Interesting was another gem of a book I loved!

   

This series probably tops the lists of reasons why I'd be eternally grateful for Vera. I wouldn't have picked up The Raven Boys if not for Vera deciding she had had enough of me putting off reading anything by Maggie Stiefvater and literally forcing the book into my hands.
This series is spectacular, and has made me eager to try out the author's other works- and I will. Soon.

   

The Winner's Crime is another book I wouldn't have picked up if not for Vera- there's quite a lot of these, aren't there? Well, they all do tend to be brilliant, so I'm certainly not complaining. Extremely gorgeous writing coupled with great story telling is what makes this author one not to be missed. Marie Rutkoski certainly knows how to deal out a twist, and this series has enough of them to keep you on your toes. If you are yet to try this brilliant author, I suggest you pick this series up already!

  

I'd been looking forward to The Star-Touched Queen ever since I first came across it, and that probably accounts for why I was more than a little let down by it. However, that doesn't negate the fact that Roshani Chokshi's writing is absolutely gorgeous and made me an instant fan, and I'm really looking forward to A Crown of Wishes, the sequel! 

 

I first came across April Genevieve Tucholke last year when I read Slasher Girls & Monster Boys, which included one of her short stories, and while I was instantly attracted to her writing, Wink Poppy Midnight is what made me a fan. I loved how atmospheric and  just overall gorgeous the writing was, and I'm looking forward to reading other works of the author as well!


Have you read any books at all by any of these authors? Are some of these your favorites too? Which authors managed to sweep you off your feet this year? Let's talk in the comments below!

8 comments:

  1. I still have to read a Colleen Hoover! She seems like contemporary queen and yet I still haven't come across one to read. I also really gotta read Wink Poppy Midnight! I saw Tulchoke at an author event and she was just so cool that this book immediately went on my tbr! But the main author that dominated my year was Maggie Stiefvater <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you simply MUST read a book by Colleen Hoover soon- I'd love to see how you like her! And ahh omg, Wink Poppy Midnight was so deliciously twisted and superbly atmospheric. You should read that one too :D
      YASSS- MAGGIE STIEFVATER RULES!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. My Heart and Other Black Holes is one that I have heard such awesome things about. I definitely need to get around to picking that one up soon. I absolutely love Maggie Stiefvater's novels but I still haven't read The Raven Boys!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, you should, you should!!! Both these are just amazing, and just HAVE to pick them up sometime soon, Krystianna! <3

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy I discovered Maggie Stiefvater this year as well! Her books are amazing! <3 I really want to read The Winner's Curse series soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES- Maggie Stiefvater was one of my bestest discoveries of 2016! And oh, you should totally pick up The Winner's Curse soon, Adalyn, you wouldn't regret it!

      Delete
  4. Love seeing that Colleen Hoover made your list! I just adore her. It Ends With Us will definitely be among my favorites of the year. I can't believe I haven't started The Winner's Curse yet. I even own the book! I really need to start the series soon because I see nothing but raves for it.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, how could I not include CoHo, Tanya, she's amazing!!! And omg, why haven't you started The Winner's Curse yet? PLEASE DO!!!

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)