Thursday, November 3

Tara Sim - Timekeeper (Timekeeper #1)

"You're a good mechanic," Colton said. Their eyes met, and Danny fought to swallow. "I want you to be my mechanic."
"Well, that's not really my choice to..."
His voice died away as the spirit leaned down and kissed him. 
Danny's eyes widened. His chest rioted.

Two o’clock was missing.

In an alternate Victorian world controlled by clock towers, a damaged clock can fracture time—and a destroyed one can stop it completely.

It’s a truth that seventeen-year-old clock mechanic Danny Hart knows all too well; his father has been trapped in a Stopped town east of London for three years. Though Danny is a prodigy who can repair not only clockwork, but the very fabric of time, his fixation with staging a rescue is quickly becoming a concern to his superiors.

And so they assign him to Enfield, a town where the tower seems to be forever plagued with problems. Danny’s new apprentice both annoys and intrigues him, and though the boy is eager to work, he maintains a secretive distance. Danny soon discovers why: he is the tower’s clock spirit, a mythical being that oversees Enfield’s time. Though the boys are drawn together by their loneliness, Danny knows falling in love with a clock spirit is forbidden, and means risking everything he’s fought to achieve.

But when a series of bombings at nearby towers threaten to Stop more cities, Danny must race to prevent Enfield from becoming the next target or he’ll not only lose his father, but the boy he loves, forever.





I hate to say this, but you can color me disappointed, because Timekeeper - despite it's awesome-sauce and totes cool potential - failed to take me on the thrilling journey I was hoping for. *cries all the tears*

It all started with the writing - I can't for the life of me put my thumb on what exactly bothered me about it, but from the very first page it made me feel detached from the story and the characters, and that sucked so much when I was literally dying to enjoy this story. I mean it's a YA Fantasy novel - that'll have more installments! - with an entirely creative concept and a gay main character. HOW GOOD DOES THAT SOUND? Alas, it wasn't. :(

That said, Timekeeper, of course, wasn't all bad! On the contrary, there were many great qualities to it that made me interested in seeing what Tara Sim will come up with in the future. The world building, for one, was really impressive - completely logical, with unique, but easy to imagine settings. 




Also, I didn't guess the big reveal, which was great! I love to be surprised! Unfortunately, I wasn't as shocked or outraged as I should have been, cause I wasn't even trying to solve the mystery, because I didn't much care about any of the things that were happening, nor about the characters. *sad face*


I've said this before and I 100% stand by this - the characters can make or break a story for me. And here's the thing - these weren't top-notch characters... on the contrary, - like with the writing - I felt disconnected from them. Much like the story, they had potential, SO SO SO MUCH POTENTIAL, but they never quite lived up to said potential and remained really... plain. By that I mean that they weren't colorful and interesting people - most of them could be described by one or two characteristics, and that's as far from complex as you can get.

Danny and Colton together were ADORBS, though. I was rooting for them like crazy from their first meeting, and they were the real reason why I pushed on and finished Timekeeper in a few days time. The way they understood each other and tried to help and support each other made my shipper-heart swell with happiness.



In Timekeeper Tara Sim gifted us with a well-thought out world, some creative settings, sweetened with great friendships and a heart-warming romance. Kudos to her for the diversity and unique ideas!

The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 3/5
The characters: 3/5
The cover: 3/5
Enjoy factor: 3/5


    

9 comments:

  1. Oh, no! I'm so sad that you didn't end up loving this one. I have heard a lot of good things about it, and I have really quite high hopes for it.

    I have to agree that writing style and characters can be really important in determining whether a book is really for you or not. Those two things are REALLY important to me. Probably writing style more than characters, because I can live for storylines if I don't adore the characters.

    It's great that the world building was good, and that you didn't guess the reveal, though! And, of course, the cute ship.

    If you continue with the series, I hope you end up liking the sequel a bit more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely the black sheep here, so I'm sure you'll like it a lot more than I did! Well, I hope so, anyhow. :)

      For me the characters are always the most important, even more important than the plot & the writing "only" comes after them, BUT I'M STRANGE LIKE THAT, SO DON'T MIND ME, OK?

      Delete
  2. Aww too bad that you couldn't connect to it. Maybe because it was written in 3rd person? I know it took me a while to connect to it, too. I'm glad you found things you liked about it though, and are interested in the following books! I hope your next read is amazing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be part of my problem, bc sometimes I struggle with 3rd person. Hopefully, we'll get more things in the next one that I was missing. :)

      Delete
  3. Too bad this one didn't end up amazing you. I agree, characters can really make a break a story. I'm more likely to forgive an average plot if the characters are phenomenal. Enjoyed reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same - it's so important for me to see complex characters, bc I believe people IRL are complex and unique too, not plain with two personal traits. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. OH NO! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one so much but I'm glad you found some merit in it. Hype can be a horrible thing sometimes. :(

    Hope you've been enjoying other reads a whole lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for such kind of best details. Really this is very amazing information.
    Examhelpline.in

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)