Saturday, November 12

Kelly Charron - Pretty Wicked

"There’s a distinct difference between a kill of opportunity and a planned murder."


The daughter of a local police detective, fifteen-year-old Ryann has spent most of her life studying how to pull off the most gruesome murders her small Colorado town has ever seen.

But killing is only part of it. Ryann enjoys being the reason the cops are frenzied. The one who makes the neighbors lock their doors and windows on a hot summer’s day. The one everyone fears but no one suspects.

Carving out her own murderous legacy proves harder than she predicted. Mistakes start adding up. And with the police getting closer, and her own father becoming suspicious, Ryann has to prove once and for all that she’s smarter than anyone else—or she’ll pay the ultimate price.





Pretty Wicked is a practically unknown title that came out back in September, and one that proves that hidden gems do exist, you just have to give a chance to lesser known titles to find them. And man, how glad I am that I gave Pretty Wicked a chance! It wasn't perfect, no, but it was SO BLOODY AND SICK AND THERE WILL BE A SEQUEL, TOO. 

(So please, excuse my rating, it's still an AWESOME novel, just not in every aspect I was looking forward to. Which sucks, BUT I'll read the sequel for sure, and hopefully, that'll be perfect.)

Ryann, our vicious and brutal heroine, has looked up to "the greats" - the famous serial killers who came before her - her whole life, dreaming about becoming just as feared and widely-known as them. At the age of fifteen she decides it's high time she started acting, instead of just thinking about murdering people. Pretty Wicked is the story of her becoming a proper serial killer.

Ryann was such a unique character, in my opinion. I loved the fact that she was obviously very sick, what with her need to murder people, but she was also normal in some ways. She had friends, she struggled to keep up in high school and to impress her family with the stuff she's accomplished (even the murders which was like, okaaay then).

"I liked who I was. I liked what I was capable of. It made me different. Special. Skilled at doing what other people only fantasized about."

The supporting cast could have been written in a better way, though. With the exception of one or two characters none of them were remarkable. Boo. :( That brings me to the question - WHY did Ryann have so many friends?? I mean, as I said, she did have a normal-persona, despite her desire to kill, BUT they had no role in the story. Sure, the author tried to make the readers interested in their lives with the little snippets we were given, but it didn't work out, at all. 

One thing I find really important in YA novels is the portrayal of the main character's family, and I wasn't fully satisfied with the way Ryann's - sorta dysfunctional - family was incorporated into the story. Her dad was okay, I guess, because he had an actual role in the story as a cop investigating the case, but her mom was so plain - basically, she only appeared to worry about Ryann, and then disappeared somewhere in the house. I call bullshit on that. A mother who obviously cares and worries about her daughter would be so much more present in said daughter's life than that. #unrealistic


And don't even get me started on Ryann's sister... again, why was she in the book??? From the very first page Ryann kept thinking about what a terrible, vicious and perfect person her sister is & then she never even appeared in the novel... wut even.

The plot itself was good enough, even though it was not nearly as fast-paced and excited as I'd expected it to be. The mystery, though... now that was sucky as hell. I figured it out SO EARLY IN THE NOVEL, and then I was just waiting for Ryann to catch up with me, which was RIDICULOUS, cause she was supposed to be this evil genius, and this made that super-hard to believe.


All in all, this was a pretty decent novel that, while didn't made me turn the pages like a crazed person, sure was gripping enough to keep me excited all through for what was to come. I'd gladly recommend it to anyone who wants to read a novel from the serial killer's point of view. 

The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 3/5
The characters: 3/5
The cover: 3/5
Enjoy factor: 3/5
    

2 comments:

  1. Wow this looks really creepy but actually quite cool! I think I would expect a fast paced plot too, but if there's enough mystery in it then it might make up for it. I'm not sure if I would read this book at night, but it's definitely something to think about! Thanks for the review Veronika!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely had a bit of a creepy atmosphere - it was interesting, albeit unsettling to see the MC kill people without conscience. I think you might enjoy this, though it was a tad bit disappointing. :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)