Sunday, November 20

Iain Reading - Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold (Kitty Hawk Flying Detective Agency #1)

Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold is the thrilling first installment in a new series of adventure mystery stories that are one part travel, one part history and five parts adventure. This first book of the Kitty Hawk Flying Detective Agency Series introduces Kitty Hawk, an intrepid teenage pilot with her own De Havilland Beaver seaplane and a nose for mystery and intrigue. A cross between Amelia Earhart, Nancy Drew and Pippi Longstocking, Kitty is a quirky young heroine with boundless curiosity and a knack for getting herself into all kinds of precarious situations.

After leaving her home in the western Canadian fishing village of Tofino to spend the summer in Alaska studying humpback whales Kitty finds herself caught up in an unforgettable adventure involving stolen gold, devious criminals, ghostly shipwrecks, and bone-chilling curses. Kitty's adventure begins with the lingering mystery of a sunken ship called the Clara Nevada and as the plot continues to unfold this spirited story will have armchair explorers and amateur detectives alike anxiously following every twist and turn as they are swept along through the history of the Klondike Gold Rush to a suspenseful final climatic chase across the rugged terrain of Canada's Yukon, the harsh land made famous in the stories and poems of such writers as Jack London, Robert Service and Pierre Berton. It is a riveting tale that brings to glorious life the landscape and history of Alaska's inside passage and Canada's Yukon, as Kitty is caught up in an epic mystery set against the backdrop of the scenery of the Klondike Gold Rush.

Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold is a perfect book to fire the imagination of readers of all ages. Filled with fascinating and highly Google-able locations and history this book will inspire anyone to learn and experience more for themselves as Kitty prepares for her next adventure - flying around the world!


Received from Book Publicity Services in exchange for an honest review.

When I received a review request for this book, the first thing that drew me towards it is it's comparison to Nancy Drew, which I absolutely loved and devoured in years past. I loved Nancy Drew, I loved how strong, independent and fearless she was, and I loved everything she stood for. So going into this book, I expected a kickass female character to add to my list of favorite MCs. Did I get what I expected...or didn't I? Read on to find out all about my Kitty Hawk experience!


This book, the first of a series, follows Kitty Hawk, an 18 year old adventurous girl on a quest to unravel the mystery of stolen gold. I was extremely delighted to find little photographs and maps throughout the book, and these helped me feel more invested in Kitty's journey. The author seems to have done a fair bit of research, as is evident from the scientific and historic accuracy portrayed throughout the book, and interested readers can even learn more from the list of references given at the back of the book! 

What I loved most about this book was how close everything was tied to nature. Kitty experiences everything from humpback whales to the Northern Lights, and the way the author describes them sure makes one crave for adventure! I loved reading about the various places Kitty goes to, and this is one area where the author's research really paid off- you never get the feeling that you are scarce for information, and the way the settings (mostly Canada and Alaska, both very new to me) are all described make you feel as if you're experiencing everything yourself!


There were quite a few interesting characters, but my favorite was Kitty right from the start. I loved how passionate she was about everything to do with nature, and she was spunky and smart- a lovely combination indeed for a main character- an what's more, we even had a running commentary from her snarky little inner voice which I really enjoyed! All the  characters were well-developed, and I have no complaints about anything in this regard.

However, in spite of Kitty being 18 and this book being said to be YA, I felt that it was more suited for a MG audience and perhaps not for fans of Nancy Drew (it still was full of adventure though, don't get me wrong!). Kitty just sounded much younger, and the issues the book dealt with and how it was dealt with all seemed better suited for a younger readership than Young Adult, which is the first of the two tiny problems I had with this book. The next was that I felt the author spent so much time in the descriptions that at times, it felt like info dumping, and it somehow made the pacing feel a bit off in places. While I appreciated the details, they did sometimes make the story feel lagging when it should have been more fastly paced.

"Wherever we are in this world, we are not alone. We are not the only creatures who find life in the sky and water and land. We are not the only creatures who need it. And we cannot just take and take and take. We have to give. And we have to respect." 

With a truly delightful protagonist, interesting plot, and some great messages about nature and how greed could affect people, this was definitely one interesting read indeed, and despite the very few problems I had with this book, Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold is one great book I'd not hesitate to recommend to anyone seeking for a book with lots of fun-filled adventure.

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 4/5
The characters: 5/5
The cover: 3/5
Enjoy factor: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. I read this a little while ago and loved it as well! I've never actually read the Nancy Drew books but I agree with you; the way this book is written gives you the thirst for adventure!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I'm glad you loved this too, Laura! It certainly is one amazing book for adventure-lovers!

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)