Wednesday, October 19

πŸŽƒ Review and Compare: The Mist by Stephen King {Guest Post by Laura @ Blue Eye Books} πŸŽƒ

Graphics from Freepik

The Book



standalone

Goodreads blurb: “It's a hot, lazy day, perfect for a cookout, until you see those strange dark clouds. Suddenly a violent storm sweeps across the lake and ends as abruptly and unexpectedly as it had begun. Then comes the mist...creeping slowly, inexorably into town, where it settles and waits, trapping you in the supermarket with dozens of others, cut off from your families and the world. The mist is alive, seething with unearthly sounds and movements. What unleashed this terror? Was it the Arrowhead Project---the top secret government operation that everyone has noticed but no one quite understands? And what happens when the provisions have run out and you're forced to make your escape, edging blindly through the dim light?”




Review:
In the interest of full disclosure, I saw the movie before I read the book.  I have to say though, like the Martian, watching the movie helped me visualize things so much better.
  1. The characters. This book is only a thin 230 pages. However, the author managed to make me care about all of the characters which I found admirable. When a group of small town locals are marooned in a grocery store under very dangerous circumstances, you’d expect some stress at the very least. The author did such a good job of delving into the psychology side of things and imagining how people would react to such a situation. I never rolled my eyes in disbelief because the characters were unbelievable. I became especially attached to poor little Billy (the MC’s son). I couldn’t imagine going through something like this when I was 5!
  2. The plot. Like I said in the character bullet, I was really impressed with the author’s ability to make things happen and keep you interested while still keeping things relatively realistic (as realistic as you can get with weird monster roaming around in a mist).
  3. The ending. One bone I do have to pick, though, is the ending.  Maybe I’m biased because I saw the movie but it just seemed like a cop-out ending.
  4. The writing. In general, I really did like the writing and the style.  It was sufficiently creepy and normally I’m not scared by books but the author succeeded in scaring me in more than a few places.  The writing is also nicely placed so it feels as if you are in the story too and there were no bumps that pulled me out.
The Final Verdict:
This is a sufficiently creepy book for the Halloween season.  While I did have an issue with the ending, overall, this book will be sure to have you double-checking behind your shower curtain.
4 stars

The Movie:


IMDB Blurb:
"A freak storm unleashes a species of blood-thirsty creatures on a small town, where a small band of citizens hole up in a supermarket and fight for their lives."

Review:
To repeat what I said in the book review, I actually watched the movie first before reading the book but I did rewatch it after reading the book just for the purposes of this review so it could be fresh in my mind!

  1. The story. I really like the idea of this and it’s executed rather well. There’s a mist that arrives after a huge storm that contains all sorts of monsters. This is such a cool idea and honestly, really creepy! The line that the story takes stays high stress for the entire plot. Something is always happening. It also scares you! Which, you know, is the main objective of horror movies! Things generally get more intense in the movie to make it more dramatic but I was pleased to see that it wasn’t taken too far and it was still within the realm of possibility.
  2. The characters/development. One reason why I like the movie a little better is that it’s so much easier to become attached to the characters. The producers and directors (and the actors!) did such a good job with making the audience care about the characters. I also want to mention the acting. I thought the acting was done really well and I never felt pulled out of the movie because of a terribly delivered line (or a terribly written line for that matter). One of the main characters is the MC’s young son and I have to admire his acting! It’s like the MC in the new live action Jungle Book!
  3. The ending. I wanted to address the ending as well before I wrap this up. This ending is slightly different than the book and I’m still not sure if I like it or not. It’s not drastically different but it is different. It does make you cry! However, it’s really ironic and it’s one of those endings that makes you want to facepalm. I’m currently torn on the ending so if you’ve seen the movie, tell me what you thought of the ending!

The Final Verdict:

Definitely a movie that will scare you and make you cry at the end.  It has just enough mystery and horror to be tasteful and keeps a slight lid on the gore.

4.5 stars


                                            

The Final Comparison

The movie and the book are remarkably similar. Because the book is essentially a novella, the people who made the movie were able to include everything and then some. While I did like most of the things they added, some things I’m still unsure about (mainly the ending).  Events were generally dramatized in the movie but they were kept within possibility. This adaptation gets a:
Thumbs up!


                                          
Hi!  I’m Laura, the blogger over at Blue Eye Books!  I’m a reader, blogger, aspiring author, and chocolate lover (I will eat any of the food you deem to make me though!).  I also love watching movies and reading their book counterparts (if you couldn’t tell). Connect with me through:
Blog     Twitter    Facebook     Instagram     Bloglovin     Goodreads     GooglePlus

                                          

Don't forget to check out our other Spooky October posts- and enter our giveaway while you're at it!
*click on the pic*

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the opportunity to guest post, Ruz and Vera!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. From your review, it sounds like this isn't one of the goriest books King wrote, or is it? I like creepy stories, and to an extent, I can handle gore...but there's a level of body mauling in King's books that I can't seem to stomach...

    Great idea for a guest post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't really gory at all which I loved. I can handle whatever gore is thrown at me but I'd prefer more of a story to go with it which is what King does in this book. It's more about the mystery and suspense of the story than the guts. :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)