Saturday, October 1

DNF Directory: A Line of Blood by Ben McPherson & Lions in the Garden by Chelsea Luna



For Alex Mercer, his wife Millicent and their eleven-year-old son Max are everything, his little tribe that makes him feel all’s right with the world. But when he and Max find their enigmatic next door neighbor dead in his apartment, their lives are suddenly and irrevocably changed. As the police conduct a methodical investigation, Alex becomes increasingly impatient for them to finish. After all, it so clearly was a suicide.

But as new information is uncovered, troubling questions arise. Why was the neighbor charging his home improvements to the Mercer’s address? How did a possession of Millicent’s end up in his apartment? And what has Max been listening to through the common wall they share with the neighbor? As the knot of suspicion grows tighter, this close-knit family begins to crack. Is Alex really the loving husband he professes to be? And where does Millicent disappear to on those long walks, stewing over something she can’t forget?

Each of them is suffering. Each has something to hide. And as they each question how well they really know one another, the Mercers will be forced to decide how far they’ll go to protect themselves—and their family—from investigators carefully watching their every move...waiting for one of them to make a mistake.



                                                               

Prague, 1610

Ludmila Novakova--Mila--has barely set foot outside Prague Castle in her seventeen years. But with the choice between braving the bandits and wolves of Bohemia's uneasy roads or being married off to a disgusting old baron, she's taken what she can carry and fled.

Escape won't be easy. Even Mila has heard the rumors of a rebellion coming against the court. The peasants are hungry. The king hasn't been seen in months. Mila's father, the High Chancellor, is well known and well hated.

But Mila can't sit behind a stone wall and let fear force her into a life of silk gowns and certain misery. Her mother's death has taught her that much. She has one ally: Marc, the son of the blacksmith. A commoner, a Protestant--and perhaps a traitor, too. But the farther she gets from the castle, the more lies she uncovers, unraveling everything she thought she knew. And the harder it is to tell friend from enemy--and wrong from right . . .







I usually write short reviews for the books that I DNF, but for A Line of Blood and Lions in the Garden I'm going to list my reasons for not being able to finish these novels. Mainly, because I do think that these books will work for many people - if you are interested in the novels based on the synopsis and you don't consider the following problems I had deal-breakers, then go ahead, and pick them up. :) 



A Line of Blood
by Ben McPherson

Huge thanks to Edelweiss and William Morrow for providing me with a free, digital arc, in exchange of my honest opinion.

🌸 I was bored. Incredibly so. That said I didn't find the story horrible, but it also wasn't thrilling, thus I had zero desire to see it to its ending, which is the worst thing that can happen in a Mystery. I do feel like I have to mention that I think this might have been me expecting too much, because I saw many reviewers praise Ben McPherson, some even comparing him to Gillian Flynn.

🌸 I knew upon picking up the book that it will be full of people with tons and tons of terrible secrets, people who may or may not turn out to be truly despicable. Heck, I was looking forward to that particular part of the book! I mean, Gone Girl is one of my most favorite books of all time, so, of course, these type of characters tend to work for me. Not in this case, though. I think they could and should have been more fleshed out. They promised to be interesting, but they were not exciting, I wasn't immersed in their little, fucked up lives, and that, my friends, pretty much ruined the whole reading experience for me.

Final verdict - It's not you, it's me.

Lions in the Garden
by Chelsea Luna

Huge thanks to Netgalley and Kensington Books for providing me with a free, digital arc, in exchange of my honest opinion.

🌸 I was super-duper excited about reading a novel from the 17th century, so imagine my disappointment when the writing style was completely modern and not at all historically accurate... No, I didn't expect a 100% accurate dialogue, but I did hope that Lions in the Garden won't feel like a Contemporary novel. 

🌸 I wasn't overly fond of the characters - sure, they were okay, decently written, but they were not outstanding, more like forgettable and they didn't leave a grand impression on me. As you know, characters usually make or break a book for me, so this is, perhaps what I mind the most. The idea for the characters and their romance was lovely, basically the reason I picked up the novel, but they weren't well-crafted, fell flat.

🌸 The plot felt really, really unrealistic at some parts, while, at other parts, I was bored more than I've ever been before. After awhile this lead me to put down the book, because I couldn't care less about the story. 

Final verdict - I really wanted to like you, but you let me down. *sobs*

3 comments:

  1. Awww! I'm sorry about all the DNFs! I hope you read something much more interesting and lively soon. These sound kind of meh. :/

    Have a lovely weekend!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, I didn't have to DNF anything since these two... hopefully, these were the worst of 2016.
      Thanks, you too!

      Delete
  2. I think your reasons for DNFing these books are similar to why I don't finish certain books. I want to care for the characters and feel somewhat invested in their stories. When I'm bored or dislike everyone to the point of not caring I can't see much reason on finishing the book.

    Sorry neither of these lived up to your expectations! Hope your next read captures your attention better :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)