Saturday, September 3

{Mini Reviews} Wanderlost by Jen Malone & The Problem With Forever by J. L. Armentrout


Not all those who wander are lost, but Aubree Sadler most definitely is on this novel’s whirlwind trip through Europe.Aubree can’t think of a better place to be than in perfectly boring Ohio, and she’s ready for a relaxing summer. But when her older sister, Elizabeth, gets into real trouble, Aubree is talked into taking over Elizabeth’s summer job, leading a group of senior citizens on a bus tour through Europe.
Aubree doesn’t even make it to the first stop in Amsterdam before their perfect plan unravels, leaving her with no phone, no carefully prepared binder full of helpful facts, and an unexpected guest: the tour company owner’s son, Sam. Considering she’s pretending to be Elizabeth, she absolutely shouldn’t fall for him, but she can’t help it, especially with the most romantic European cities as the backdrop for their love story.
But her relationship with Sam is threatening to ruin her relationship with her sister, and she feels like she’s letting both of them down. Aubree knows this trip may show her who she really is—she just hopes she likes where she ends up.


This is the story of Aubree who somehow ends up going to Europe as a tour guide- pretending to be her sister. I tend to be wary of contemporary in recent times. The stories either end up being mind-numbingly boring or the characters turn incredibly predictable..or both. So even though I was really looking forward to this book, I still didn't have very high expectations for it. Well, now that I've read it I guess it's safe to say I loved it. It was all kinds of cute in the best ways possible and you couldn't find a more fun summer read. 

Keeping aside my skepticism about the whole reason why Bree gets to go to Europe, this was a really great story. Not that there was much in the way of the plot, but what there was, was dealt with very well. Even though the pacing was kinda slow, it didn't bother me at all.  The romance was so, so good, the character developments were splendid, the portrayals of various relationships were done really well and the tour group was the bestest. Seriously, you need to pick this up ASAP if you feel like a well-written, quick, fluffy read.

The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 5/5
The characters: 4/5  
The cover: 4/5 
Enjoy factor: 5/5

      

“Forever was something we all took for granted, but the problem with forever was that it really didn't exist.”

For some people, silence is a weapon. For Mallory “Mouse” Dodge, it’s a shield. Growing up, she learned that the best way to survive was to say nothing. And even though it’s been four years since her nightmare ended, she’s beginning to worry that the fear that holds her back will last a lifetime.
Now, after years of homeschooling with loving adoptive parents, Mallory must face a new milestone—spending her senior year at public high school. But of all the terrifying and exhilarating scenarios she’s imagined, there’s one she never dreamed of—that she’d run into Rider Stark, the friend and protector she hasn’t seen since childhood, on her very first day.
It doesn’t take long for Mallory to realize that the connection she shared with Rider never really faded. Yet the deeper their bond grows, the more it becomes apparent that she’s not the only one grappling with the lingering scars from the past. And as she watches Rider’s life spiral out of control, Mallory faces a choice between staying silent and speaking out—for the people she loves, the life she wants, and the truths that need to be heard.


The story is basically about two teenagers, Mallory (Mouse) and Rider with an abusive past being raised in the foster system and how they face their inner demons and come out victorious. While I loved this book for the subjects it deals with, I wasn't impressed with it as much as I'd have liked to. 

I loved how the author focused on the workings of foster care and it's long-term impacts on children, but the story itself was so very predictable and filled with the most terrible clichés. For instance, of course it wasn't enough that Mallory and Rider had to work through their issues, but Rider had to have a girlfriend with whom he'd eventually break up too. Call it realistic maybe, but it was still very generic. Even though there were some really quotable bits, I felt the writing didn't really do much for the story too. 


Memorable characters and terrific premise let down by writing that was just not up to the mark, The Problem With Forever is a book I would still recommend, if only for the subjects it deals with. And Rider. Rider was the best.



The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 5/5
The characters: 4/5  
The cover: 4/5 
Enjoy factor: 5/5

      

10 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Wanderlost as well! I read it during the Bout of Books readathon, and I finished it in a flash. Wonderful review! :)


    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a quick read! I'm glad you enjoyed it too, Kim! Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed PWF too! And yesssss Rider was goals! 😭😭
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rider sure was goal, omg :D I'm glad you enjoyed PWF, Haniya! I loved it's theme!

      Delete
  3. I have to read PWF.I love JLA's books!Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try PWF if you love JLA's books- I'm sure it would be just your type!! :))

      Delete
  4. I've not read either of these but I have heard SO MUCH about The Problem With Forever! I'm sorry you didn't love it more! Great reviews!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had loved it more too, but the subjects it deals with are definitely worth talking about...so it was still quite good :) Thank you, Tracy!

      Delete
  5. Sorry to see that TPWF didn't totally work for you. I really loved it but then again I love contemporary and I love JLA so I'm probably predisposed to enjoy it more than you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love contemporary too, and JLA is one really awesome author, but I somehow felt it wasn't up to her usual standards.. *shrugs* Still loved it, though! :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)