Tuesday, September 13

All Time Favorites: Fantasy Edition


Hi sweeties! Today's Top Ten Tuesday (weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) topic is all about our all time favorite books in certain genres. Lately, I've been really into Fantasy novels, so I decided next to listing my all time favorite fantasy books. WISH ME LUCK, because I'm pretty sure reducing the number to ten is going to be a total bitch. But I'll try, for once, so next week I can calmly go back to breaking all the rules.

Dystopia & Science Fiction novels are excluded from my list.

*I'm literally on the 2nd page of my read shelf and I already have 5 titles that need to be on the list. #lostallhope*



My 12 All Time Favorite Fantasy Novels/Series
Am I cheating? Yes. Do I care? Hell no.

*In no particular order, because all of these are my beloved babies and I don't do favorites.*

Click on the covers for Goodreads page. ^^

   

1. Uprooted by Naomi Novik 


“I don't want more sense!" I said loudly, beating against the silence of the room. "Not if sense means I'll stop loving anyone. What is there besides people that's worth holding on to?” 


2. The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich
(beware - the mindfuck is strong in this one)

“Kaitie, are you alone?"
"Yeah, why?"
"Hang up."
"But why? What is it?"
"I can hear someone breathing on the line."

3. The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black

“I love like in the storybooks. I love you like in the ballads. I love you like a lightning bolt. I've loved you since the third month you came and spoke with me. I loved that you made me want to laugh. I loved the way you were kind and the way you would pause when you spoke, as though you were waiting for me to answer you. I love you and I am mocking no one when I kiss you, no one at all.” 

4. Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson


"What? Is that boy crazy?"
"Most young men his age are somewhat crazy, I think," Sazed said with a smile. "However, this is hardly unexpected. Haven't you noticed how he stares at you when you enter a room?"
"I thought he was just creepy."


   

5. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater


“Sean reaches between us and slides a thin bracelet of red ribbons over my free hand. Lifting my arm, he presses his lips against the inside of my wrist. I'm utterly still; I feel my pulse tap several times against his lips, and then he releases my hand.
"For luck," he says. He takes Dove's lead from me.
"Sean," I say, and he turns. I take his chin and kiss his lips, hard. I'm reminded, all of a sudden, of that first day on the beach, when I pulled his head from the water. 
"For luck," I say to his startled face.”




6. In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters

“And all the while Stephen started at me as if I were something magical. Not the ugly way other people sometimes stare at me, like he was meeting someone in a foreign country who spoke his language when no one else could. That's how it's been between us ever since. We understand each other, even when we astound each other.”
7. Fever series by Karen Marie Moning

“You want to believe in black and white, good and evil, heroes that are truly heroic, villains that are just plain bad, but I've learned in the past year that things are rarely so simple. The good guys can do some truly awful things, and the bad guys can sometimes surprise the heck out of you.”
8. Coraline by Neil Gaiman


“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” 

   

9. Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater

“You missed World Hist."
"Did you get notes for me?"
"No. I thought you were dead in a ditch.”


10. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

“If you start wondering how this house works, you'll likely go mad. That could be amusing, I suppose. Especially if it's the kind of madness that causes you to run naked through the hallways. Do feel free to indulge in that anytime.”
11. Curse Workers trilogy by Holly Black


“Once someone's hurt you, it's harder to relax around them, harder to think of them as safe to love. But it doesn't stop you from wanting them.” 



12. The Diviners by Libba Bray

“How do you invent a religion?” Evie asked. 
Will looked over the top of his spectacles. “You say, ‘God told me the following,’ and then wait for people to sign up.”


Honorable Mentions:


   
//Lux//Unearthly//The Wolves of Mercy Falls//Gemma Doyle//
  
//Daughter of Smoke and Bone//Percy Jackson//Harry Potter//

What are your all time favorite fantasy novels? 
Or all time favorite *cue in another genre here* novels?
Leave a link to your TTTs in the comments!

18 comments:

  1. We chose the same topic for this week's TTT! :D but surprisingly, delightfully, we only have HP and PJO in common haha but even if it didn't make my list, I loooooved Daughter of Smoke and Bone, The Raven Cycle, and Unearthly! I want to read more from Maggie's so The Scorpio Races and Shiver are pretty high on my TBR list. Great list! :D

    Link to My TTT ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five* :DD Oh well, more recs for us on each others' lists, then. :) You totally should pick up Shive & TSR! They're SO GOOD omg. Maggie is the queen of fantasy, tbh. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. Uprooted, In the Shadow of Blackbirds, and Coraline! :) I love this list! I see a few I haven't tried yet too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with In the Shadow of Blackbirds and The Dead House! I loved them so much and really need to re-read them. I wasn't a big fan of The Darkest Part of the Forest, but I'm not surprised to see Holly Black on your list. I hope I love Uprooted as much because it sounds great!

    Charlotte @ Bookmarks and Blogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to reread those two and look for clues and stuff that I might have missed when I first read them. Ooh, that's sad - I totally thought it was MAGICAL, but well, I do understand it can't be for everyone. :D

      Delete
  4. The Darkest Part of the Forest quote makes me want to read the book. Great list! Loving the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should - it was so magical and unique. :) Thanks!

      Delete
  5. That quote from The Raven Cycle 😂😂😂 God I love that series so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww me too! I can't believe it's over. :'(

      Delete
  6. I love Harry Potter, Uprooted, and Cruel Beauty. Such great books. My all time favorite fantasy series is The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner (particularly books two and three).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the rec. :D I checked out The Queen's Thief series and it does look really good - added to my tbr. :)

      Delete
  7. I love seeing some of my favorite reads listed in on other people's Top Ten. Like, Darkfever and Raven Boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? It was so fun to check out all these lists and look for common faves + recs. :)

      Delete
  8. I'm so pleased to see that The Curse Workers series made your list as well as The Dead House! :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, high five for common faves! Both were so unique and wonderful. :)

      Delete
  9. A Great and Terrible Beauty is definitely a long time favourite of mine, White Cat also! That trilogy did not get enough love in my opinion.

    My TTT ft. Aliens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like both these novels could use more love, because they're truly unique and SO AWESOME. :D

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)