Tuesday, August 9

Top Ten Most Dislikable Main Characters


Hi sweeties! Today's Top Ten Tuesday (a weekly meme, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) topic is a Top Ten Tuesday Rewind, which means that everyone can pick one from the previous topics. My choice is, oh-so-surprisingly, a negative topic - Top Ten Most Dislikable Characters.


For this list I only picked protagonists that I disliked, supporting characters - be more or less important - will not appear on my list.



   

1. Bella Swan from the Twilight Saga


Even when I was an actual fan of the series, I was never a fan of Bella, I never clicked with her character. Her over the top clumsiness, constant whining and the fact that she always seemed to be waiting for others to tell her what to do, instead of, you know, making up her own mind and making decisions for herself made me incredibly mad. Also, she was so boring - no social life, no interests or hobbies (outside Edward, I mean)... what was she doing in her free time? Daydreaming about Edward? 



On a side note, am I the only one who thinks Bella and Edward as main characters are pretty freaking ridiculous when all the other Cullens had way more interesting backstories than them?

2. Zoey Redbird from Night House

House of Night - as you can see from my shining 5 star ratings on Goodreads - used to be one of my favorite series when I was totally vampire-crazy. However, after a couple of books, Zoey really started to get on my nerves. There were tons and tons of HUGE things happening in the world, her being in the center of it all, yet her biggest problem always seemed to be who to hook up with next. *facepalm* 

I also felt like whenever she got into a relationship, she still continued to lust over not one, but multiple other guys, sometimes leading them on. I don't care how negatively the authors portrayed most of the guys after their breakup with Zoey, that was NOT fair to them. 

3. Beatrice 'Tris' Prior from the Divergent trilogy

I loved Tris in the first book tremendously - her journey of finding herself, of learning about bravery and selflessness and how the combination of the two can be the most powerful thing ever was truly empowering. However, I couldn't help feeling like as if she was somehow less in Insurgent... and Allegiant - in which I felt like she was perfect, as in she made no mistakes, and so, she didn't seem realistic anymore - made me even more uninterested in her and her story. No, she's definitely not one of the most dislikable characters ever, but I feel like she deserves a place on this list, because of the disappointment she turned out to be. 


4. Malek from Exquisite Captive

Honestly, I don't feel like I have to explain this one. He was abusive, among other things he beat up Nalia, he forced her into her 'lamp' (which equaled to torture), and then he claimed he loved her. And people actually ship them and are in love with Malek. How? Why? I don't care about - the rather convenient - excuse we got for his behavior. It was bullshit. 


   

5. Elise Dembowski from This Song Will Save Your Life

Having to DNF this novel came as a total surprise last year, after hearing basically nothing but wonderful things about it. I'm not going to go into details, because I do know and respect that TSWSYL touched many people, but I will say that I found Elise incredibly judgmental and sometimes self-centered.



6. Emma Thomas from Reason to Breathe *mild spoiler*

Strike #1 - It's common between victims of (domestic) abuse not to speak up because they're afraid and/or believe they deserve the way they're treated. What was Emma's reason for not reporting her crazy as fuck, sadistic aunt? SO HER LITTLE COUSINS ARE NOT TAKEN AWAY FROM THEIR MENTALLY UNSTABLE MOTHER. I mean, sure, she hasn't yet hit them, but that doesn't change the fact that she's not sane, nor stable enough to bring up two children. Also, I'm pretty sure the father would be able to get custody, so it's not like the children would have to spend a lot of time with social services. 

Strike #2 - Having people who'd support her and take care of her, if she chose to go to the police, including Emma's best friend, Sara, Sara's PARENTS and Evan. But still not reporting it. 

Strike #3 - Sara and Evan actually knowing about what was going on... but Emma not letting them do anything. WHAT KIND OF FRIEND IS SHE?? Imagine your best friend being physically and mentally abused on a day to day basis and not letting you report it. Wouldn't that kill a part of you??

Strike #4 -  She can't date Evan, the nicest, kindest guy, because it'd have a bad influence on her studies + life, BUT soon, starts to date another guy. 

Domestic abuse should be acknowledged more in books, even in YA, but I don't think this was the right way to do it. 

#endofrant

7. A from Every Day

From being this perfect person, who was never selfish - I know, so realistic - A went to making decisions that had a bad influence on the 'host's' life. What was even worse was that he didn't even try to understand why Rhiannon might not feel comfortable being with someone who was in a different body every day - sometimes a girl's, sometimes a boy's. Equality and acceptance is incredibly important, but in Every Day I thought the author (and A) was preachy, trying to convince the reader of his own beliefs, instead of letting us make our own conclusions In the end, it wasn't even the constantly changing gender of A that made Rhiannon say no, but A being in a heavily over-weight kids body... The way A - after assuring the readers that there's no judging happening at the beginning - described that boy's body made me disgusted in the book and promise never to read anything else by the author. Apparently, being attracted to one gender is not okay, but fatshaming is only natural. 



8. Jared Trent from Bully

Anyone who frequently reads my TTT posts likely knows of my hatred for Jared, as I've had included him on various negative lists. He's the worst type of bully, who went after the girl he liked (of course, there're shitty excuses for this) and made her life a living nightmare.

 

9. Noah Shaw from The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

I know he is considered a dream guy by many people, but I could not stand him. Sure, he was gorgeous, incredibly wealthy and even intelligent, but he was also controlling and - for lack of better wording - an asshole. There was this one particular time when he slept with a girl who was in love with him, and then left her, just to prove a point to said girl's brother. The only girl who treated as a human being should be treated was Mara... because she was 'special'. 



10. Simon Lewis from The Mortal Instruments

I think he's the only character I've always hated in TMI. I felt like his only role for a long while was to create unnecessary drama and provide the much needed love triangle. Besides that he was incredibly boring and later turned out to be quite an asshole - leading on two girls, for example. 

And finally, here are some honorable mentions: 

Clary Fray from The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
Anna Whitt from Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
Hannah Nichols from Fall From India Place by Samantha Young
Ever from The Immortals by Alyson Noel
Ruth from Ruthless by Carolyn Lee Adams 
Grant from Chance by Abbi Glines
Isla from Isla and the Happily Ever After

What are some of the characters that you found unbelievably annoying/dislikable?
Don't forget to leave a link to your TTTs if you'd like me to check them out!

16 comments:

  1. The main character that I find so dislikeable is definitely Etienne St. Clair from Anna and the French Kiss. He was an ASSHOLE plus I thought that he acted like such a know it all. I really agree with you on Tris. I loved her in Divergent, but by Allegiant she seemed more like a robot than a human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg yes, he's quite terrible too! And I used to actually like him before I reread the book. *shudders* Tris = biggest disappointment ever, because I ROOTED for her so badly!! I convinced people to read Divergent just because how awesome she was. And look what happened. *sobs*

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, yeah. I loved the series when I was younger, but Bella was always a ??? for me. I loved other characters, like Alice, but Bella's life honestly revolved around Edward, and I never quite enjoyed New Moon because it was just so blatant how bland Bella was...
    Anyway, Clary would be on my list! I didn't think she was that bad when I first read TMI...but then I reread and it was like I was reading a different book o_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bella... probably the boringest, blandest character ever. Alice, on the other hand, I'd still like to read about! She seemed like such an interesting person, though, undoubtedly, she could have been written in a better way...
      I actually loved Clary??? But then - after the 3rd book - I found myself disliking her more and more and thinking back, she was always the same way, I just didn't realize it.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read a lot of this but I'm so glad to see Bell topping your list. She annoyed the heck out of me and although I did read The Twilight Saga, I sometimes wish I hadn't. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meh, she is one of the worst YA heroines out there, which is ironic, considering that she's also one of the most well-known ones. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I believe most YA protagonist tend to be very dislikeable. Bella and Tris are perfect examples of that. I couldn't stand any of them. But I think my heart broke a little when I saw Simon listed below, I have to say... I prefer Simon every day than Clary. Clary was insufferable and treated Simon like shit for example. But you got yourself a nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think there are lots who are amazing, but yeah, many-many YA protagonists turn out to be terrible, imo, due to the author trying to give them all the great and/or relatable qualities she can think of... Oops, sorry! That's true, but mostly I was mad at him for letting Clary treat him that way. And then, if I remember correctly, this was never addressed?
      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Uhhh YES Tris was such a disappointment. It's such a pity, too, I liked her in book 1, as you said.

    And I know Simon from The Mortal Instruments is a fan favourite but I just kept hoping he'll finally find a spine - and was disappointed every. time. And yeah, as if whining and pining after Clary wasn't enough, he "couldn't decide" between two girls. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tris has SO MUCH potential! Even after Insurgent I was rooting for her, but she never shone as brightly as she did in book 1, imo.

      SAME! Sure, Clary was such a bitch to lead him on, but he shouldn't have let her walk all over him in the first place. I laugh so hard when people call them best friend goals, because they're literally one of the most dysfunctional pair of friends I've ever seen.

      Delete
  6. Ugh, never really liked Tris much.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/10/top-ten-tuesday-69/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bella was so irritating - the one I liked from that series was was Jasper. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Jasper too! He was so cute with Alice!

      Delete
  8. Great list! I so agree with Bella. Even though I was a fan of the series, I was never a fan of Bella. She was just BORING. She was obsessed with Edward and that's all she was/had. Ho hum. It's so funny that you mention Emma from Reason to Breathe because I *just* wrote a review of the book a couple days ago. (I read it back in May, just wrote the review, not sure when it will post.) Overall I enjoyed the book but I definitely had some of the same issues as you. Especially when she ended things with Evan because she couldn't let anyone get close to her... but them immediately started dating Drew. WTH? No sense. And her overall reason for not reporting the abuse... I tried really hard to just go with it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! I used to LOVE Twilight, but remember in New Moon, when the Cullens left, there were MONTHS in the book where Bella did NOTHING - there were blank pages, only with the months listed one by one. That was just ridiculous, tbh, and a perfect example of her not having a personality.
      I'm glad you enjoyed Reason to Breath, even if I hated it. Oh yes, most of Emma's decisions didn't make sense, which REALLY pissed me off, because she's been abused for a LONG TIME, so I'd have expected her to make better decisions?

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)