Saturday, August 20

Nicola Yoon - Everything, Everything


My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.


Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.






With The Sun is Also a Star releasing this November, I thought it's high time I talked about the author's much-hyped debut, Everything, Everything. The feedback for this book has been extremely positive within the blogosphere, with almost everyone I know or came across seeming to have loved it. It had the promising signs of a unique diverse read, and that coupled with that gorgeous cover is enough to make anyone want to pick it up, and I couldn't resist it either. So did I love this book or not? Well-



Here's what I loved about this book: the illustrations, diversity and cute story-telling. 

That being said, I should also say that I was quite let down by this book. I had high hopes prior to picking up Everything, Everything- the hype, the rave reviews, why, the blurb itself promises a unique, beautiful story which would make me fall in love with the characters while touching on certain important issues- but sadly, I couldn't really love this book. 

Don't get me wrong, there were some parts which I absolutely ADORED, and Maddy and Olly were both likable characters and the narration was smooth, letting the story flow by without any glitches. But there were times when I felt the author was just trying too hard to give us a touching novel. Particularly because by the end, I found I really didn't give a damn about the main character. Also, some things regarding Maddy, her disease (SCID), her mother- and even Cara (her nurse) made no sense at all. Absolutely zero sense. Zilch. Nada. I know we have to suspend a certain amount of disbelief when it comes to novels, however "realistic" they are touted to be, but I just couldn't with this one. 

I'm quite very disappointed about how this book turned out to be for me, but I still wouldn't discourage you from picking it up. I'm looking forward to the author's next, but this time, with fewer expectations.


The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 3/5
The characters: 2/5  
The cover: 5/5 
Enjoy factor: 3/5

    

6 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said here Ruzaika! I think that Olly and Maddy were very likeable characters, but the ending seemed a little bit forced for me. Like it was trying to make me cry but I didn't have any emotion whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending was definitely forced! I'm really sorry this book didn't live up to my expectations :( but maybe the author's next would be better!

      Delete
  2. Omg I am SO WITH YOU. I actually don't understand how this book is so highly revered because it was so nonsensical at times. Like even to the point where Maddie could only eat white food and live in a white room and where white clothing...like what?? I am nearly laughing with confusion. That's not how allergies work! She didn't even eat a low allergy diet! And when she ran off to Hawaii and her nurse is like "oh yeah totally go live your dreams" like whaaaaa??! I had too many problems with it to enjoy it at all unfortunately *sighs*

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy! I'm glad you agree, Cait. I was actually quite very baffled because EVERYONE seemed to love this book! While I understand that the adorable quotient is quite high, the silliness of stuff is just too much to bear. Quite very disappointed. Argh.

      Delete
  3. Thank God! I read your review! I have been reading raving reviews of this book too! Glad someone pointed out the negative points too! :)
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to know the potential areas where a book might fail before picking it up so that you can keep your expectations in check! :D Hope you like it anyway :))

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)