Saturday, August 6

Nick Lake - Whisper to Me

A remarkable story of strange beauty and self-discovery from Printz Award winner Nick Lake

Cassie is writing a letter to the boy whose heart she broke. She’s trying to explain why. Why she pushed him away. Why her father got so angry when he saw them together. Why she disappears some nights. Why she won’t let herself remember what happened that long-ago night on the boardwalk. Why she fell apart so completely.

Desperate for his forgiveness, she’s telling the whole story of the summer she nearly lost herself. She’s hoping he’ll understand as well as she now does how love—love for your family, love for that person who makes your heart beat faster, and love for yourself—can save you after all.



If I were to describe Whisper to Me in three words it would have to be "unputdownable and unforgettable". This book was one heck of an experience and let me tell you why in three parts: Me Before Reading WtM, Me While Reading WtM and Me After Reading WtM. 

Me Before Reading WtM

I have to admit that I went into this book with zero to no expectations. I'm kind of embarrassed by this but the cover just gave it a whole fluffy contemporary feeling and I've learned enough by now to not expect too much from those kind of books. *shrugs* Admit it, when was the last time you read a contemporary romance that was nevertheless completely engaging? I've read a fair share of books from said genre this year, but none that I'd label as perfect. Also, the synopsis doesn't hint at anything...mindblowingly awesome, does it? Nevertheless I picked it up because the reviews were encouraging, and what can I say- anything dealing with mental illness and I'm sold.

Me While Reading WtM

*hmmm...hmm...hm...*
*perks up- now this is getting interesting*
*holy shit, what's happening?*
*omg omg omg*
*Of course. That had to happen, I suppose*
*HAH- saw that coming!*
*my heart*
*Argh, my heart*
*No, no, no*
*Oh yes, very sensible*
*NO- YOU DAREN'T FINISH THE BOOK LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!*

Me After Reading WtM (and here's where the actual review starts)

Oh. My. God. I can't even...I swear this is the best contemporary I've read so far this year. This is a personal letter written by the main character, Cassie, to the boy whose heart she broke with the hope that he'd understand what she was actually going through. We get to see everything from Cassie's point-of-view, and while I normally love books written in multiple POVs, here I didn't mind it at all because this was written in such a powerful way. Cassie's voice was strong throughout and it was incredible getting to know her.  

I don't want to spoil the story for you so I'm going to keep this as concise as possible- you'd better listen up. Whisper to Me is a very important addition to the admittedly short list of YA books that deal with mental illness if only because of the sheer importance it gives to the subjects it deals with. It was done is such a realistic way that for not one moment would you have any doubts regarding the struggle Cassie has to go through. It was authentic, it was reliable- the author himself had gone through a similar experience of hearing voices in his life- and the littlest of details which are included would make you see just how accurate this story is. There's love, there's friendship, there's family- it has everything you could ever hope for in a YA contemporary, and it's all dealt with so well

Final words: It's safe to say I loved this book.  A poignant take on mental illness that doesn't romanticize or trivialize it, it was just amazing and you should ALL read it right now. Don't let the cover fool you.

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 4.5/5
The characters: 5/5  
The cover: 4/5 
Enjoy factor: 5/5
       

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why publishers make covers that doesn't add up to the actual book... and it seems to happen a lot with contemporary stories. However, I will say you got my attention with the whole "not romanticizing" mental illness. It is very easy to fall into that hole and it helps no-one. I'll check more reviews and see if this is something that could interest me as a whole because I'm reading less and less YA these days and I just don't know if I wanna spend my money on it. I wish libraries in Madrid had more English titles so I could use them. I'm going on a tangent here LOL but lovely review! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cover thing really bugs me. I've read some really, really deep and emotional and whatever books but they almost always have covers that give off this fluffy, light feeling and I honestly wouldn't have thought they deal with what they do by the covers alone. A serious problem, for sure. Anyway, this one sure doesn't trivialize or romanticize the issues it deals with, and that's something laudable alright. Also, the writing was just fabulous! I hope you pick this one up, Noe- definitely worth it!

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)