Saturday, August 13

My Thoughts On The Lux Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Spoiler Free)







“Your mail could've waited." Daemon followed me into the kitchen. "What is it? Just books?"

Grabbing the OJ from the fridge, I sighed. People who didn't heart books didn't understand.”




Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring… until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something… unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.



Sequels:


   


Highlight for spoilers.


  • I'm sure you guys know this, but just in case - Lux is about hot as hell, quite kickass and powerful aliens, and that includes the male protagonist, with whom you may or may not fall in love with in the course of the series. Hint - you most likely will. 
  • The writing is not what most people would call beautiful, but it was fun, easy to read and Jennifer L. Armentrout can surely create some of the best dialogues. The exchanges between the characters were mostly sassy, snarky and sarcastic, making me laugh out loud more times than I could count. Reading this series was what I'd describe as pure entertainment.

    “We could really use the Avengers right about now." 
    "Screw that. We need Loki," Daemon retorted.
    General Eaton arched a brow. "Well, unfortunately, the Marvel Universe isn't real, so...”

  • This might be just ME - because I had the same issue in Bloodlines and 0% of the people whose opinion I've read/heard shared it - but I wasn't satisfied with the alternating point of views. Katy and Daemon, when not actually talking to people, rather only wondering about stuff, sounded a lot alike. Even when that wasn't an issue, I was not 1000% happy with Daemon's inner monologues - like, they were romantic and all, but... they didn't resemble enough to his snarky dialogues.
  • It introduced me to one of the most well-written group of characters I've ever read about, and had me screaming #squadgoals every other page, because these guys, man, they definitely formed a unique circle that I'd like to join. 
  • Katy and Daemon, our main characters, unsurprisingly, stole the show, but the supporting characters, including the villains, were all epic creatures that basically came off the pages.
  • Katy was literally #bestfriendgoals. She was not only an unapologetic bookworm, but also a blogger and vlogger, and awaited new books just as excitedly and impatiently as we do, plus she had her house covered in books, all of which she furiously protected. She also turned out to be incredibly badass, never afraid to speak her mind or to send Daemon to hell when he was being an ass.
  • Speaking of Daemon... he'll quickly join-in your list of book boyfriends if you like guys who'd go to any length to protect their loved ones. Surely, I could mention other characteristics of his, but none of them matter quite as much as Daemon's devotion to her family, friends and Katy.

    “Daemon Black could be as prickly as a hedgehog having a really bad day, but underneath all that spindly armor, he was sweet, protective, and incredibly selfless.”
  • When we have two awesome protagonists, it's no surprise that the romance was epic - total otp material. Daemon and Katy had sizzling hot chemistry right from the beginning - their make out scenes were HOT -  They developed tons - both as individuals and as a couple - by the end of the series, and so formed such a strong union that was practically impossible to defeat. They learnt to discuss stuff, instead of keeping secrets, and they also learnt how to make compromises and meet halfway.
  • About those villains? They were really, really well-developed, so I loathed them all, yet I saw actual reasons behind their actions. Why they became despicable wasn't just brushed under the table, rather acknowledged, and thus, they weren't painted fully in black, rather in shades of gray. 
  • The supporting characters added the little something extra the books needed - some of them, like Katy's school friends, were forgettable, but others definitely compensated for them. Dee, Daemon's sister, also known as one of my favorite characters, was this cute little ray of sunshine at the beginning, but, due to an event that drastically transformed her life and the way she viewed the world, ended up going through a huge change. I have to admit that I wasn't fully happy with how little page-time she got later in the series, though.

    "Get out of my head."
    "I can't help it," Archer replied from where he sat on the couch. You're broadcasting your thoughts so damn loudly I feel like I need to go sit in the corner and start rocking, whispering Daemon's name over and over again."
  • The relationship between Katy and her mother was very well-portrayed, despite how the book kinda-sorta suffered from the Disappearing Parent Syndrome, as Katy's mom had to work tons. Despite the DPS, I was satisfied with their relationship - it wasn't a tell-all one, but their love for each other was clear.
  • Such a sweet, sweet ending that felt about 0% realistic. I GET IT, WE ALL WANT EVERYONE TO BE HAPPY... but shouldn't an ending feel natural, instead of too unrealistic to bear? Now, I'm not complaining about all the important characters staying alive, okay? But what about the Thompsons? I'm sorry but they had no actual role besides hating on Katy (Andrew and Ash) and dying, so someone dies, but not the main characters.
  • The last book ended up being considerably less epic than what I'd been expecting after reading the previous books. Everything went a tad bit too easily and predictably, and I did feel like the ending could have given us more information about the world after all the changes.
  • This is something I've seen people complain about, so I decided to bring it up - Obsidian does resemble Twilight on some level, but the books become better and better, and thus, more and more unique and different from what I've read before. Surely, you'll see some YA Fantasy and even Dystopian tropes, BUT overall, Lux deserves to be one of the most popular series.
  • With the exception of Obsidian (1) and Opposition (5), I rated each book four stars, while these two received 4 stars from me. Considering that, I'd rate the series a strong 4.5 stars, definitely leaning toward 5. 

Basically, the Lux novels are a delightfully perfect combination of badassery and humor, spiced up with sassy characters. 
100% recommended!

19 comments:

  1. I've always avoided the Lux series because of the covers...I know they say, don't judge a book by its cover, but I can't help it with the Lux series! Regardless, I am now adding it to my TBR - content > cover, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's understandable, the covers are HORRIBLE. But yeah, the story is definitely worth bearing these awful covers. :)

      Delete
  2. I marathoned this series two years ago and I really enjoyed it. If I had to re-read it now, I think my thoughts would be completely different but at that time that series was what I needed. I have to agree with you on book 5. It fell into place way too easily and sometimes, although we don't have the good ones to suffer, they have to to tell a realistic story. But all in all, I was satisfied with the series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Lux is a great series for those times when you want a little mindless fun in your life. Sure, it has some faults and isn't always happy, but I'd definitely call it a feel-good series overall. Glad you enjoyed it too! :)

      Delete
  3. "Katy and Daemon, when not actually talking to people, rather only wondering about stuff, sounded a lot alike"

    I SOOOO agree with you on that! I really fell out of love with Daemon's character once his POV was given. I'm sure part of it was his character growth throughout the series, but I didn't really like how he lost part of himself and that charisma I loved later in the series.

    I really hated the last book of the series--way too happy-go-lucky for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! He sounded NOTHING like how I imagined him, tbh. So freaking cheesy and not at all sassy or charismatic.

      True - I did enjoy it, but I wish it had been better, everything fell into place SO FAST and without much effort.

      Delete
  4. Great review, Veronika! I read the first two books in the series, but I could never get into Daemon's perspective unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Unfortunately, I can totally understand that - I wish his POV was never introduced.

      Delete
  5. Haven't read the series but heard so many good things about it! <3 lovely review! ūüíď
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should totally give it a chance too! :)

      Delete
  6. ♥ this mini review! I LOVED the first three books in this series but book 4 seemed a bit off to me. I haven't picked up book 5 but am contemplating a series re-read soon. I still love Katie and Daemon together and don't recall having a problem with the alternating POV but it has been a long time since I read those books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, the 3rd & 4th novels were actually my favorite from the series, despite my issues with the alternating POV. I felt like the plot thickened then, and the stakes got higher than I expected when I first started the series. Hope you'll enjoy #5! :)

      Delete
  7. Awesome post, Veronika! The Lux series is my favorite YA series ever and Daemon Black... well, he's hands down my all-time favorite book boyfriend. (Cover model Pepe Toth is even my screensaver on my iPad. LOL) You bring up a lot of good points and I loved reading your thoughts about the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanya! <33 I remember how much you love the series and Daemon from your blog. :) He sure is hot + I just realized a few days ago that he is Hungarian, the girl, too. :O

      Delete
    2. Ah, maybe you'll run into Pepe one time when he's home for a visit. Hee hee! :)

      Delete
  8. I just finished the first book and, I have to say, it reminded me so much of Twilight! I wasn't very satisfied with the plot, but I really liked some characters. I related to Katy a lot, since she was a book blogger and Dee was so, so, so cute.
    I think what annoyed me in the book was the whole hate/love relationship between the protagonists. Does it get better on the next books? Because the action scenes were actually very interesting and the alien powers were very nice to read as well. I wonder if I should continue on or just accept that it's probably not my cup of tea at all, hahah.
    Great post, Veronika! I'm glad you enjoy the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think the books get better - the resemblance to Twilight, for one, completely disappears after the first book, and the characters + their relationship develops A LOT.
      I think if you liked the dialogues, most of the characters, next to enjoying the action, then you might want to give the sequels a chance. After the 2nd book, the stakes will get much higher than I expected.
      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Veronika, this is an awesome post! I read Obsidian like 4 years ago now and I've always meant to go back and read the rest of the series but there's never enough time for these things is there?

    Its a shame you didn't find the ending very natural but I'm so glad to see you would still recommend it. Reading your post has made me all nostalgic for Lux and now I definitely feel like I need to revisit this series.

    Hope you're having a wonderful week!
    Happy Reading
    Rachel @ Paein-and-Ms4Tune

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! <33 So have to agree with you! I binge read the series starting from the 2nd novel, but I actually read Obsidian like, 3 years ago. Tbh, I don't think I'd have continued the series at all, if not for owning the sequels. I'm just terrible at continuing series when I put them off for awhile.
      Hope you'll enjoy the sequels if you ever end up continuing Lux! :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)