Thursday, July 14

Harry Potter Tag


We stumbled upon this super-fun tag created by the lovely people at Bookidote, and  instantly wanted to do it! Anything Harry Potter is always tons of fun, and this one looked like no exception. Pretty simple- each function from the spells is inspired to a book category. But the important rule here is that you can’t use any of the HP books in the answer! 

Without further ado, let the magic begin! 



A BOOK YOU FOUND THE THEME INTERESTING, BUT YOU’D LIKE TO REWRITE IT.


Ruzaika: I had really high hopes for Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon, but it sadly fell short of my expectations. It promised to be a unique, emotional read about a girl with a disease that's not much talked about (SCID) and we really do need more books about such subjects, but I wish it had been better-written. I liked it, I did, and that ending just blew my head off and I loved the twist, but that just wasn't enough for a story that was inconsistent from the word go. 

Veronika: This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp - school shooting is a very sensitive topic, but one that needs to be talked about nonetheless. However, in this novel I felt as though the author over-dramatized many scenes and dialogues to raise the excitement-factor, and that was anything but okay in my eyes.


THE FIRST BOOK IN A SERIES THAT GOT YOU HOOKED.

 

Veronika: I could basically name all the series that I've read in the last two years, because I've long stopped finishing series - or book, for that matter - that do not intrigue me enough. One of the first that comes to my mind The Lightning Thief, the first novel in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, as this is one of the first series that I've ever binge-read. 

Ruzaika: The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski was one book that totally got me hooked. I loved the characters, the world-building, the romance, the plot, the angst. Argh. Arin and Kestrel were just ridiculously awesome and I totally ship them together.  And that cliffhanger! I'm glad that by the time I picked this one up I had the sequel ready- but I still had to wait for the last book and that was just so torturous!


A BOOK YOU WISH YOU COULD HAVE RIGHT NOW.

    

Ruzaika: Heartless by Marissa Meyer! I simply adore The Lunar Chronicles, and a retelling of Alice in Wonderland by Meyer is bound to be awesome. I simply cannot wait to see what the author has in store for us in this  book that sounds oh-so-amazing!

Veronika: I'm going to go with the Unearthly trilogy - not because it's so exceptional, but I've been thinking about rereading the books lately, and, as I read all three from the library, I'd have to buy them first. 


A KILLER BOOK. BOTH SENSES. TAKE IT AS YOU LIKE.



Both: GONE GIRL!!! 


Veronika: Killer in both senses. No explanation needed if you've read it. And if you haven't - WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE? READ IT. 

Ruzaika: This is seriously one absolutely killer book that you simply must pick up and if you don't want to, I just might have to Crucio you into reading it!


A BOOK THAT YOU FOUND REALLY CONFUSING.

    

Ruzaika: The Suicide of Claire Bishop by Carmiel Banasky promised mental illness, time travel, art theft and lots more, so naturally, I expected something very engaging, but what I got instead was a spider's web of baffling anecdotes.  A very imaginative plot that was let down by the execution, this is one book that succeeded in confusing me a lot.

Veronika: It wasn't ├╝ber-confusing, but the portrayal of time travel in Prom Night In Purgatory by Amy Harmon wasn't as clear-cut as I'd have liked. And I say this after reading the first and second novel closely after each other! I can't imagine how confused I'd have felt if I'd picked up the sequel months after.



YOUR SPIRIT ANIMAL BOOK.

     

Veronika: This is probably the hardest question in this tag, so I decided to just go with one of my all-time favorites - it has crime, family, kickass friendship, strange as fuck but still awesome romance and Cassel, who is one of the bestest main characters ever. And, the quotes? On point - and not just in a world that is filled with magic.

“We are, largely, who we remember ourselves to be. That's why habits are so hard to break. If we know ourselves to be liars, we expect not to tell the truth. If we think of ourselves as honest, we try harder.” 

Ruzaika:  My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga may sound like an unlikely book to name as my spirit animal, but this is one book that I found to be very relatable and couldn't help but wish I had come across it earlier in my life. Filled with the most thought-provoking quotes, this is one book that really spoke to me and it will always be very, very special. 

“Everything used to seem so final, inevitable, predestined. But now I'm starting to believe that life may have more surprises in store than I ever realized. Maybe it's all relative, not just light and time like Einstein theorized, but everything. Like life can seem awful and unfixable until the universe shifts a little and the observation point is altered, and then suddenly, everything seems more bearable.”



A DARK TWISTED BOOK.

     

Ruzaika: Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke may not be all that dark, but it was definitely very twisted. Wacky characters, captivating, magical writing that sets up a ridiculously creepy atmosphere, this is one book that's really messed up and I just loved it. 

Veronika: The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich - I mean, it's about 'two girls' who claim they live in the same body... but maybe 'they' are just mentally ill, at least, that is what 'their' therapist thinks. This book will definitely take you on the most fucked-up roller coaster ride you could imagine. 


A BOOK THAT SURPRISED YOU IN A GREAT WAY, REVEALS TO BE MORE THAN IT IS.

 

Veronika: A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis definitely surprised me! It didn't only portray criminal-psychology in a super-interesting way - like, Criminal Minds - but the author also created beautiful friendships that gave Grace HOPE for the future even when everything looked black to her. 

Ruzaika: The cover and synopsis do no justice to the gem of a book Whisper to Me by Nick Lake was. Going into it, I had no idea what to expect and I was so ridiculously happy to see how it turned out to be. A poignant take on mental illness that doesn't romanticize or trivialize it, this is one book I'm really glad I picked up despite being reluctant about it. 



Jillian @ Jillian's Books

Preethi @ The Lone Reader 

And of course- YOU, if you want to do this tag! 

⚡️ ⚡️ ⚡️ ⚡️ ⚡️ ⚡️ ⚡️ ⚡️ ⚡️ ⚡️

So, that's it! It was fun, wasn't it? It was.
At least for us, it was *sniggers*

Lots of thanks to Lashaan and Trang @ Bookidote for coming up with this kickass tag, and also for the stunning graphics which they so kindly let us use! 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for tagging me!! I'll get to this as soon as I can :) I just received read Gone Girl and I was blown away by the ending! Very thrilling indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh- YES. Thrilling, it definitely is! I'm glad you were blown away by it, Em :D Hope you do this tag sometime soon- I'd love to see what books you end up choosing :))

      Delete
  2. Ruzaika - yes to Everything, Everything! It was definitely inconsistent, and that was something I didn't enjoy about the book! And also yes to Whisper to Me, because it tackled mental illness so well, in such a thoughtful and honest way, I really loved it!
    Veronika - OH MY GOSH YES PERCY JACKSON AND THE LIGHTNING THIEF WAS GOLD. I didn't think I'd love it when my friend pushed it at me...but then I read it and I COULD NOT STOP. I think I read that series in a week? #bingereadinglife
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree with what I had to say about Everything, Everything! Many people seem to have loved it to bits ad i was feeling quite awkward about it :D Whisper to Me was one of my favorites so far this year! :))

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tag girls!!! I haven't read most of the books you've mentioned but I agree that Gone Girl is a total killer and of course Percy Jackson hooked me from page 1 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GONE GIRL, YESSSSSSSSSSS. We just love it to bits (though what that says about us, I don't know haha) :D

      Delete
  4. OMG this tag is awesome! And yes, Percy Jackson is a great series! I couldn't stop once I started it,and finished all the books released by then in 2 weeks :-D Great post, girls! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider yourself tagged, if you're interested, Div! And thanks for reminding me I need to get back to Percy Jackson soon :D

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)