Tuesday, July 19

12 Books Set Outside The US


Hi everyone!! Today's Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) topic is Books Set Outside The US. As I do not live in the US - this post is very close to my heart, I mean, it would be, if I had one. I haven't yet found a book that takes place in Hungary and was written by a foreign author, - not that I searched for such novels, so there may be ones?? - though, I've read some that have mentioned it. BUT I do know some really awesome-sauce books that are set outside the US. Without further ado, let's jump right onto them!


On a side note, I honestly never understood why most books are set in the US when there are SO MANY countries out there that are just as cool. I'd find it really interesting and fascinating if at least 1/4 of the popular (YA) books would introduce the readers to countries other than the US. 


1. 
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
- London, England



2.
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
- Paris, France




3.
The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
- New Beijing, France, Africa


4.
The Book Thief 
- Molching (fictional village), Germany


5.
Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray
- India (a little bit) and England 


6.
Fever series by Karen Marie Moning
- Dublin, Ireland


7.
Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor
- Prague, Czech Republic 


8.
On Dublin Street by Samantha Young
- Edinburgh, Scotland


9.
Night Prince by Jeaniene Frost
- Romania 


10.
The Circle by Mats Strandberg and Sara Bergmark Elfgren
- Sweden




11.
Vampire Academy (Blood Promise) by Richelle Mead
- Russia


12.
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
- Barcelona, Spain 


These were all the books I could think of that take place outside the US. Have you read any of them? What were your thoughts? 

Link in your TTTs in the comments and/or tell me your favorite books that take place outside the US! 

24 comments:

  1. I had no idea tha Cinder is set outside the US! A lot of books on your list have been on by TBR list for a long time. Now I know where some of them are set in. Thanks for sharing!
    Here's my list:
    https://travellingthroughwords.wordpress.com/2016/07/19/top-10-tuesday-4-books-set-outside-the-us/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's partly what makes it stand out - yeah, it's futuristic, but it's still awesome to see all those places. :D

      Delete
  2. Oh we have 3 books in common, Anna and the French Kiss, The Book Thief and The Shadow of the Wind.Great choices and yes, the settings were unique too.I am intrigued by Daughter of Smoke and Bone. It looks interesting.

    Here is my TTT:https://ahavenforbooklovers.wordpress.com/2016/07/19/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-set-outside-the-us/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five, because of common favorites* You totally should read DoS&B! Both the fantasy elements and the world building is unique. :)

      Delete
  3. Anna, Smoke and Bone and Book Thief have been so popular today! They are amazing books. I also loved The Stats of Love. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, I definitely saw them on quite a few lists! The Stats of Love was ADORABLE.

      Delete
  4. I'd definitely suggest that you (and Ruzi) read Luna-C by Jutta Goetze (Australia). Yes, it's an oldie. Yes, it's set in the '80s. Yes, it recounts the struggle of a band in a way so different from today's standards, when it seems like talent shows are the only place to be. But those are some of the very reasons why it is so remarkable - plus the writing. Oh, the writing. And the characters - they will win your heart, especially Phoebe.

    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4639802-luna-c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make sure to check it out & convince Ruzi to do the same. :)

      Delete
  5. The Book Thief was on my list this week too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/19/top-ten-tuesday-66/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED the Vampire Academy Series! I can't believe I didn't think to put Blood Promise on my list!!! Great Top Ten! :D
    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly forgot about it too - hope that makes you feel better. :P Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Seeing Anna on a lot of lists today! Love your inclusion of the Fever series and On Dublin Street!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad we have some common favs!

      Delete
  8. The Book Thief and Daughter of Smoke and Bone made my list this week, too. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved seeing Cinder and Blood Promise on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to get back to reading Vampire Academy! Here’s my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! The story gets even better as the series progresses.

      Delete
  11. I tend to look for books that are set outside the US because that seems the norm sometimes with books and it's always nice when authors explore other places around the world. I've read a few of the ones you listed but my favourite was The Book Thief and I also really enjoyed the Vampire Academy series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - I have nearly 1000 books on my read shelf, yet I had to look real hard to find even 10 books set outside the US... I really don't get why authors/publishers think it's better to set a book in the US, instead of all the other, less commonly 'used' countries.

      Delete
  12. ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS!! -gushes- So glad that one made your list - I LOVE that book! And Blood Promise is so good as well!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we have common favorites! :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)