Tuesday, June 28

Some of the Worst and the Best Friends in Books


Hi everyone! It's been incredibly long since I've last written a Top Ten Tuesday post and, as I adore making lists (especially bookish ones), I MISSED IT SO MUCH. What makes me even happier than being back to creating these lists is that this week there's no theme - it's a FREEBIE. 



If you've been reading The Regal Critiques for awhile, you must know that negative/worst lists are my favorites and, one way or another, I always end up creating one when it's a freebie week. Today is going to be different, though. *shocked gasp*

Healthy portrayal of friendship is something that is very important for me in books, especially in young adult novels, as I do think it's good for teens (and people in general) - even if they do have the bestest best friend in the world - to see great examples of friendship in literature. Because of this I'm dedicating today's Top Ten Tuesday post to books with awesome best friends - but because I do love a good negative lists I'm also going to mention a couple of bookish friends who rubbed me the wrong way.


Click on the covers for Goodreads!

In case of series, I only added the cover of the first book to the post, but I always mean the whole series, except when stated otherwise.



I'm going to start off with 2 friendship that I consider negative examples:


I know that lots of people find Sloane and Emily's friendship GREAT in Since You've Been Gone, but it rubbed me the wrong way, especially because I felt like Emily was overshadowed by Sloane too much. I do understand that Emily was very shy, but I felt like the way Sloane almost always was "the leader" - for lack of a better word - didn't help Emily find HERSELF. Meanwhile, the friends she met throughout the novel had a much better influence on her.


Bully suffers from the typical bad friend syndrome - K. C. upon breaking up with her boyfriend finds comfort in Jared's arms... the same guy who's been mercilessly bullying Tate (the MC and K. C. best friend) for years. The plot thickens when Tate tries to convince K. C. that Jared is only with her to cause Tate even more pain... K. C. goes and DEFENDS Jared and acts as though Tate is the one who makes a big deal out of nothing.






And now onto all the amazing friendships that I've had the chance to read about, a.k.a. 10 bookish friendships that are goals af: 


  

Agnieszka and Kasia from Uprooted had an incredibly powerful friendship going on! The best thing about them is how the author wasn't afraid to showcase the negative emotions that can appear in a friendship, like jealousy, yet these no way took away from their love for each other. On the contrary, talking about these things allowed them to become stronger than ever before.

Rachel and Lauren from Devoted, because of how different they were, disagreed in a lot of stuff, thus argued with each other and saw MAJOR things differently - but this was what made their friendship SO REAL. They stood next to each other through everything and became the kind of family to each other that they hadn't have before.
Check out my review of this fan-freaking-tastic novel here.


 

Both these series have incredible group of friends, but in Vampire Academy, Rose and Lissa definitely took the cake. These two girls were like yin and yang, always having each others' back and just being their usual powerful, supportive selves. 

In Bloodlines it was more the whole group that I LOVED together - Sydney, Adrian, Eddie, Jill, Trey and Angeline were the ultimate #squadgoals and I could not get enough of them. All of them rocked the most different personalities, yet they made PERFECT sense together.


 

I'm currently OBSESSED with the Psy-Changeling series (have only read 12 of the books so far), so it was quite obvious that I was going to include it on my list. Given that this is Paranormal Romance it is kind of a given that (most of) the ships are superb in it, but this series also offers us WONDERFUL friendships - literally every character who's had a novel found (or has always had) amazing friends. 

On Dublin Street, while being a very romance-driven series, has some of the greatest friendships I've ever read about. All the main characters - and some of the supporting ones - not only were great friends, but also formed one big family that was just beautiful to read about.


 

What these two novels have in common is how much more they delivered than I'd expected prior to picking them up. In All Fall Down, despite not trying AT ALL, Grace scored herself some pretty fantastic friends, starting with Noah who decides to be Grace's new best friend and that was that. He is also a damn adorable guy (AND THEY ARE JUST FRIENDS, PEOPLE) who'd stood up for his friends no matter what. Later on, Megan, a computer genius and Rosie, a 12-year-old who excels at stalking, joined them too.
Check out my review of All Fall Down here.

The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly had one hell of an unexpected friendship that formed between Minnow and her roommate in juvie, Angel. I don't want to say much, because I hate spoiling the best parts of a novel, but do believe me when I say that Angel, despite how scary she seemed at first, really helped Minnow embrace the real her. Time and time again Angel helped Minnow, despite knowing she will benefit exactly nada from it, and that, my friends, was the most kickass part of the novel.


 

If you guys know me, you must have been waiting for these two series since the very beginning, as I've said various times before that these two are my absolute-favorites. In The Lunar Chronicles Marissa Meyer made sure to introduce some of the BESTEST friendships since the very first book in the series. First, it was just Iko and Cinder, but by the final novel we had one of the largest and most awesome group of friends in the history of books. Iko, Cinder, Kai, Scarlet, Wolf, Cress, Thorne, Winter and Jacin, when they fight together, are one badass team that could take on any villaine. 

Raven Cycle is one of the most outstanding series I've ever read and one reason for that is definitely the friendship between the characters. The Raven Boys + Blue make for a totally weird but also über-cool group that literally doesn't know how to give up. They are SO different from each other, yet, together, they are one of the most powerful group of friends ever.

And finally, here are some honorable mentions:

Most of these are no 'worse' than my actual picks, just weren't the ones that came to my mind first and I did not want to bore you by describing why I love all these friendships. *shrugs*

  
//Karou & Zuzana//Suze & Cee-Cee & Adam//Bones & Spade & Ian//

  
//Gwen & Leslie//Harry & Hermione & Ron//Hanalee & Joe//

  
//the whole group of friends in all three series//




Do you agree or disagree with my picks? 
Do you know any books with AWESOME friendships that I haven't mentioned?
What about friendships that weren't so good in your opinion?




20 comments:

  1. I love this list. Besties in books always end up being one of the reasons I love the book. When the bestie is bad for them I tend to not like the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm the same way - realistic portrayal is friendship is one of the most important thing, imo. :)

      Delete
  2. The Raven Boys are FRIENDSHIP GOALS! Literally I enjoy reading about the friendship more than the romance, so that's a big plus in my books. I also really love the relationship between the Percy Jackson characters, especially in The Heros of Olympus series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! Haha, same, which is REALLY surprising, considering that I would go down with the ships in Raven Cycle. :D I haven't yet read Heroes of Olympus, but now you made me curious. :D

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you included Cinder and The Raven Boys! :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were between the firsts who came to my mind!

      Delete
  4. I have Uprooted on my to-read list and I am so excited to start it soon, especially seeing it on your list of top friendships! :D
    I really loved how you included some negative ones as well, because there are a few in YA fiction I think could have been written better. It such an important thing I think having solid friendships between two characters.
    I thought about adding PJ to my list this week but in the end didn't. I just finished reading the first series and I loved it, the relationships between all the characters were brilliant but I loved how they grew as the characters did and as the series went on.
    Great picks! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really, really hope you'll love Uprooted just as much as I did - for me, it is one of the highlights of 2016.
      They sure are - they can make or break a book for me.
      I really loved that too - I have to admit, I haven't read the spin-off series either. But I heard absolutely-amazing things about the friendships in that.
      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with the friendships from Uprooted, The Raven Cycle, Cinder, Harry Potter, and Wait for You! I haven't read some of the other ones but I always love good friendships. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad we have common favorites - *highfive*

      Delete
  6. I love the friendships in The Raven Boys too! And of course the friendships in Harry Potter are the best. I love the friendships in Percy Jackson too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/28/top-ten-tuesday-63/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for all the common faves!! HP definitely has exceptional friendships.

      Delete
  7. I completely agree with you about Emily & Sloane's friendship! Everyone seems to love their friendship but I really didn't like Sloane and felt like she was trying to overshadow Emily!

    Sophie @ Dreaming Of Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? It felt unhealthy to me, so I was really, really surprised when I saw the majority support it.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE the scene in Uprooted where they have to face and accept the truths of their friendship. And I just read The Raven Boys and really liked it. You had some other great ones in this list; I too love to see healthy relationships of all types in fiction.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of my favorite scenes - I really liked their friendship even before that, but that was the point where they really showed how much they mean to each other!

      Delete
  9. Oooh I definitely agree about The Lunar Chronicle friendship - so good!

    I recently read Trithwitch which has SUCH wonderful female friendship. I really recommend it! Also not to mention Harry Potter, duh, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TLC friendships were definitely squadgoals. :D

      I'm really looking forward to reading Truthwitch, because I heard so many great things about it - especially about the friendship! :)

      Delete
  10. Yesss, I love so many of these! The Raven Cycle, The Lunar Chronicles, Rose and Lissa, Agnieszka and Kasia, the one in Sacred Lies. Very awesome friendships! :) I do agree about K.C. and Tate; I don't think it was a super great friendship. I still haven't read the rest of the books in that series, so I'm hoping it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad we have so many common favorites! :) I hope it does and you'll enjoy the sequels because I know how much you loved Bully.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)