Saturday, May 21

Kiera Cass - The Crown (The Selection #5)

"Love is as much fate as it is planning, as much a beauty as it is a disaster."

When Eadlyn became the first princess of Illéa to hold her own Selection, she didn’t think she would fall in love with any of her thirty-five suitors. She spent the first few weeks of the competition counting down the days until she could send them all home. But as events at the palace force Eadlyn even further into the spotlight, she realizes that she might not be content remaining alone.

Eadlyn still isn’t sure she’ll find the fairytale ending her parents did twenty years ago. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you…and soon Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more impossible—and more important—than she ever imagined. 

Spoiler alert...

As a huge fan of The Selection trilogy I was very excited for The Heir- only to be disappointed at the end. While I did like the basic idea of the story, Eadlyn pretty much spoilt everything for me. I didn't like her characterization at all, and by the time I finished the book I was fervently praying for her to have a lot of character growth in the next book at least. While that did happen in The Crown, I was nevertheless dissatisfied with the story.

Going into this book, I was, understandably, quite wary. I didn't dare hope for the magic that was America's and Maxon's love story, but my poor heart did expect Kiera Cass to be back in all her awesomeness in narrating a beautiful fairytale. That. Did. Not. Happen. Here's why:


Also: 


Look, I'm all for finding your soulmate and well, la-di-dah, you can ride into your goddamned sunset and live happily ever after. But when it comes about with zero development, I say no. Please, no. I had this constant nagging feeling that things were happening just because the author wanted them to, and not because the characters did. Get what I mean? I thought America had much better chemistry with Kile. I was rooting for them from the very beginning- I love the idea of childhood friends turning lovers. Granted, it would have been predictable but it's the kind of ending I felt was fitting given their individual natures and their growth from being friends to more. Kile was very clear about his intentions and it made no sense to me when he just nodded along to what Eadlyn had to say. I'm sure something could have been worked out for his ambitions about seeing the world and all that.

Eadlyn's choice was completely flabbergasting. Apart from Kile, I only ever felt a connect with Henri, and that ended stupidly as well. Why does everyone just agree to what she has to say and not voice their own opinions? I can't believe Henri just stepped back and paved the way for Erik. Come on. He was sweet-natured, but no one is as sweet-natured as that. Eadlyn sure was much more bearable here than in the previous book and showed surprising growth of character, but her decisions truly baffle me. She goes around feeling nothing at all about Erik and suddenly after one genuinely bewildering conversation she's convinced that they are soulmates. She was reading too much into their past encounters, if you ask me. She doesn't even realize that he's her "soulmate" up until about 80% of the book and then she's all moon-eyed about him and scolding her "treacherous
 heart" for betraying her. Puh-lease.  

“You are always just Eadlyn. And you are always the queen. You are everything to everyone. And infinitely more to me.” 

If this were a better-written book, I would be all smiling when reading stuff such as this one, but here, I was just very frustrated. Why not give them more chance to grow together as a couple? Sure, they didn't have much time, and that brings me to my other concern: why was everything so rushed at the end? 


It's like the author, like us, just wanted to see an end to the series and tied up all the loose knots in a hurry. Talk about convenience! The boys each get eliminated so bloody conveniently that I was all, "Ha, should've seen that coming!" when things started happening. Pointless reveals at the end aside, this book could have been much, much better if the author had taken time to focus on everything, instead of just wrapping up everything haphazardly. And I would have loved this story much more if I had actually felt anything towards the characters. 

Final thoughts: Kind of a pointless read if you're not looking for any sort of closure to Eadlyn's story.

The story idea: 3/5
The realization of the story: 2/5
The characters: 2/5  
The cover: 2/5
Enjoy factor: 2/5

    

10 comments:

  1. Great review, Ruzaika! <3 I was already quite skeptical about reading The Crown, but it certainly sounds like a waste of my time now. Besides, my TBR is too big for me to handle as it is. I could do without reading this! :|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This breaks my heart, but I really have to agree with you :( It would do you good to skip this book!

      Delete
  2. So totally agree! Erik brought absolutely nothing to the table until about 3/4 in, and then all of the sudden she realizes he's the one for her?! I also felt really bad for Kile because he was just banished fr no reason at all! And I knew that someone would conveniently turn out to be gay it's almost as if she put that in there just to get rid of boys faster and not to promote diversity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? I really feel Kile deserved better than to be made to listen to what Eadlyn had to say- it just felt like the author made things happen the way she wanted even though the characters themselves didn't want it. Kile certainly didn't. And yes, the gay angle was thrown in just to get rid of those guys faster- or why didn't the author give their relationship more importance? There was certainly no lack for time, the book was quite short.

      Delete
  3. I've only read the first book in The Selection series and didn't like it (I know, weird). So although I've never read the other ones, I don't think I will in the future just because they don't really catch my interest.
    Also just one thing that is slightly bothering me. Why do all the covers have girls in ridiculously uncomfortable dresses? Why is that a YA fantasy cover thing? Like they are fierce and independent but how can they do anything in those dresses?
    Great post!
    Kate @Read and Dream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be honest with myself here- I totally loved the first three books, and I'd still recommend them to you- only, stop right there. The third book would give you more than enough to end the series on a high note. It's after The Heir that things start going downhill, at least for me :)
      Haha, the uncomfortable dresses is probably to reflect the nature of the books? Like, they don't really have to engage in any high-octane action sequences, so the dresses are actually appropriate :D It's just mostly about The Selection after all, and when any situation that demand them to fight or anything does arise, they have to make do with these dresses :D

      Delete
  4. Aww...I'm sorry this was such a disappointment. :( There's nothing worse than a finale not being as amazing as you wanted it to be. Thanks for sharing your thoughts though and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Zoe! That's exactly why this turned out to be such a disappointment- had the author stopped at book three, I would have been really happy, but now what we'll remember when thinking of this series is this below par book, which is honestly very heartbreaking :(

      Delete
  5. yasss...true I thought she had fallen in love with Kile. In the heir there was really a connection between them but it all suddenly had lost. I hate the ending. Especially that she ended the monarchy. It is the main thing I really like about this series. PS I vote for Kile from the start until the end

    ReplyDelete
  6. I KNOW! This is exactly what I was thinking while I finished reading today. I totally expected a lot but I end up being dissapionted cause the seems to be rushing to finish it (Especially the epilouge! The worst shortest epilouge so far!). Yet honestly, the plot twist blew me away. It was intelligent and dumb at the same time. Should've expected less :(

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)