Sunday, May 8

Books I Loved as a Child


I know this may seem like a stupid post (I know, okay?) but I've been wanting to do this for SO LONG. I have no idea why, but I always get very nostalgic when I think of these books. Way back, I was a H-U-G-E bookworm (more than I am now, I mean. Like, uni gets in the way a lot now, you know?) and I have so many favorite series which I'm not ashamed to say I still love reading when I feel like it (Okay, that was a tad bit embarrassing considering these books are children's books I'm talking about). Anyway, without further ado, here goes!

(Click on the titles for the Goodreads page!)


This series of books includes funny anecdotes about Ramona Quimby, her family and friends. I loved Ramona right from book one- and I still do! She's one of the most fun characters ever. Remember the movie Ramona and Beezus, starring Selena Gomez and Joey King? Yep, based on this series! 

This series of 39 books (yeah, you read it right) centers on the adventures of the very mischievous William Brown. I used to love reading these books for all the fun and laughter it gave me. I still can't think of a naughtier lil' boy than William- the tricks he was up to and all the havoc he wreaked never failed to fill me with mirth!

I was very chicken when I was small (still am- let's not talk about that, please), but that never stopped me on gorging on these deliciously creepy books by the king of children's horror. Be it vampires, zombies, ghosts, demons or monsters- this series had them all, and R. L. Stine remains as one of my most favorites even now!

Set in the village of Peterswood, this series follows the antics of Larry, Fatty, Pip, Daisy and Bets- oh, and their dog, Buster- as they go about solving mysteries in their neighborhood, much to the annoyance of the village police, Mr. Goon. Needless to say, I ADORED these kids and never tired of reading these books!

This is a series of novels that features the adventures of a Julian, Dick, Anne, Georgina (George) and their dog Timmy during their school holidays. Criminals on the loose, lost treasure- these kids are bound to stumble upon just about anything and everything, and also come out of each situation victoriously!

A series of six novels centering on a girls' boarding school, these books follow Darrell Rivers and her friends on their adventures and experiences in Malory Towers. Six more books were added to the series by author Pamela Cox, but the originals by Enid Blyton are unparalleled! 

These books follow the twins Patricia and Isabel O'Sullivan from their first year at St. Clare's on. There's a delightful host of side characters as well, and I loved reading about their life at boarding cshool and all the mischief they got up to! While my love for boarding schools is huge, St. Clare's is without doubt my most favorite (second to only Hogwarts).

This series of adaptations from the Two of a Kind TV series follows Mary Kate and Ashley, twins who are polar opposites as they struggle with school and friends and crushes and what not. These books, each written by various authors like Judy Katschke, Megan Stine, Lisa Banim, Nancy Butcher, Cathy East Dubowski, Diana G. Gallagher and Louise Gikowlike  were great fun to read, and yes, MK and Ashley were one of my favorite pair of twins ever!

Originally created by Francine Pascal in the Sweet Valley High series, this series by Jamie Suzanne is about Elizabeth and Jessica- twins who want to differ from each other. It's always great to read books about sisters, and more so when they are twins! We get to read about not only the twins, but also their friends, so it's all the more fun!

While the other books are in no particular order, here I saved the best for the last. I simply ADORED this series and still get super-nostalgic when I think about it! The BSC series is about a group of friends who live in the fictional, suburban town of Stoneybrook, Connecticut. They run a local babysitting service called the "Baby-Sitters Club" and these books follow their anecdotes as they deal with a wide range of problems like divorce, remarriage, illness, sibling rivalry, peer conflicts, jealousy, and competition, while having a whole lot of fun too! I so wanted to be a baby-sitter myself because of these books, so go figure!


Well, so that's all just ten selected series of books I enjoyed as a kid. There's a lot more, mind you, so it was quite a tedious task to just zero in on ten! I've included four series by Enid Blyton, but I couldn't help it! I'm a HUGE fan of her work, so it only seemed reasonable that I included at least four of my favorites. Authors like Dr. Seuss and Roald Dahl are favorites too, but these are my mostest favoritest. What about you? 

10 comments:

  1. This is definitely not a stupid post! In fact, it's really interesting. I was born and raised in Belgium, so my childhood favorites are very different (aside from Goosebumps, which was translated to Dutch). I always love seeing these posts, because it gives me a glimpse into what books I should maybe read, as I missed out on them? Like, I have never read an Enid Blyton book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reassurance that this post wasn't a stupid idea, Jolien :D I almost didn't publish it, LOL. Wait. What? You've never read an Enid Blyton book? Well, that's fair considering the fact that you were born and raised in Belgium, but YOU'VE BEEN MISSING OUT BIG TIME!! If you are even a tiiiny bit interested, I suggest you try the St. Clare's series. Or Malory Towers. You'd LOVE them, I'm sure!!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, you're right, this post is so stupid. What's gotten into you?
    ...................................................................
    Hahaha, it was so cute to picture a little Ruzaika reading her heart out. I see Stine's books are popular everywhere...and the Babysitter Club...I didn't know the others (actually, I thought that MK and Ashley were born as movie characters!). But I'm curious now - did you have any favourites among the books written by Sri Lankan authors?

    I read a lot as a kid (surprise, surprise), but the only book that stuck with me was Momo by Michael Ende. I reread it from time to time, and nothing will ever convince me to part with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so funny, hahaha :D Yeah, the BSC and RL Stine boks are by far the most popular series in this list! I wish you were in your teens so I can force the BSC into your hands, LOL.
      I'm kinda mortified to admit that I haven't read much books by Sri Lankan authors- the main reason is that my education has always been in English and I preferred ENglkish books. The few that I have read have been translations :))
      I've never heard of Momo! Sounds like you really loved it :D I feel the same way about my childhood collection of books!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THE FAMOUS FIVE! They're such beautiful summer books as well, and just the scenery the books set up made me longing for the English countryside. It looked so beautiful! Ramona Quimby was hilarious as well, I loved Beezus haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were! I always loved the English countryside because of Enid Blyton- she made everything look so, so great!! Haha, I love Beezus too :))

      Delete
  4. I loved Goosebumps and BSC and Sweet Valley! I also loved anything by RL Stine, The Sleepover Friends and the Friends 4-Ever series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a LOT of other books by RL Stine, but Goosebumps was always my favorite! And yes- I've read a few books in The Sleepover Friends and the Friends 4-Ever series too! Our school library was the BEST- we used to get all sorts of book, so it would come as no surprise when I say that all my free time at school was spent in the library :D

      Delete
  5. I love The St. Clare's books too! The twins are so much fun! The goosebumps books are awesome as well :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the twins! And Claudine. And Carlotta. And ALL of them :D I so badly wanted to go to a school like St. Clare's back then :( Their midnight feasts!!

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)