Wednesday, March 9

Waiting On Wednesday - The First Time She Drowned by Kerry Kletter


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking The Spine, that spotlights forthcoming releases which we're particularly excited about and looking forward to.

So, as was announced a few days back, I'm ready to start WoW again at The Regal Critiques and I'm here with my first ever post- hope you like it! 

The First Time She Drowned by Kerry Kletter. 

The beautiful struggle of a girl desperate for the one relationship that has caused her the most pain 

Cassie O'Malley has spent the past two and a half years in a mental institution—dumped there by her mother, against her will. Now, at 18, Cassie emancipates herself, determined to start over. She attends college, forms new friendships, and even attempts to start fresh with her mother. But before long, their unhealthy relationship threatens to pull Cassie under once again. As Cassie struggles to reclaim her life, childhood memories persist and confuse, and Cassie must consider whose version of history is real, and more important, whose life she must save.

A bold, literary story about the fragile complexities of mothers and daughters and learning to love oneself, The First Time She Drowned reminds us that we must dive deep into our pasts if we are ever to move forward.
Well, to start with- the title is super-intriguing. What do they mean by the first time she drowned- if this is the first time, will there be more? A sequel perhaps? And does this mean drowning in a literal sense or some other way? The cover sure hints at a literal drowning, but I daresay that's not what it means if the blurb is anything to go by.  

Speaking of the blurb, it sure sounds interesting. Books about mental illnesses always manage to catch my attention, and this one promises some really great portrayals of the relationship between the protagonist and her mother too, not to mention the process of learning to love oneself again. That's a LOT of things to look forward to! 

Also written on the cover is that it's a "keep-you-up-all-night heart-wrencher that is painful and raw, beautiful and uplifting". In short, it sounds exactly the kind of book I'd go for- if you know anything about me at all, you'd know that I love books like this, so yeah. Give me this heart-wrenching book that would keep me up all night already, please!

What about you? Does this book sound like something YOU would pick up? 
I'd love to know what you think in the comments below! 

16 comments:

  1. LOL, you like to suffer, don't you? I mean when you read ;).

    I had already checked out this book because of the title...you know I love me some afterlife ;). But alas, this wasn't the case. It sure sounds like a great book, but I will wait for the first reviews in order to make up my mind.

    I like the way you're doing this WoW thing - really detailed and with a strong personal touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could say that, I suppose- I do have an unhealthy liking towards angst, or rather books that have angst in them! :D

      I hope the reviews convince you towards giving this book a try, and that you and I both like this book, Roberta!

      Thank you so much! I did want to include a bit about why I'm waiting on this book :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds so good and angsty and the cover is gorgeous! I might have to pick this up because I'm always in the mood for an emotional read. Great choice!

    -Jamie @ TheRebelliousReader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I'm hoping this is high on angst- we'll see, I guess :))

      Delete
  3. This sounds so amazing! I love family dynamics in novels, especially when they're at the forefront of YA stories. I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family dynamics in YA is something I really appreciate too, Amber! :) Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Ooh, that title is definitely intriguing! This isn't my usual kind of read, but if ever I'm reading about mental illness, then it's best if it's one that really gets to you and it sounds like this one will deliver on that. Thanks for putting this one on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? The title's what first caught my eye. I hope you pick this book up some time soon- preferably before me so I can see how you liked it! ;)

      Delete
  5. The title is pretty cool! I'd not heard of this one before! I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to read it! =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes on this one- I hope I enjoy it too! :D

      Delete
  6. This cover is so pretty! I am really excited for it as well. I hope that you enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you get to read this book sometime soon too! :))

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)