Thursday, February 11

Cecelia Ahern - Love, Rosie (Where Rainbows End)

From naughty children to rebellious teenagers, Rosie and Alex have stuck by each other through thick and thin. But just as as they're discovering the joys of teenage nights on the town and dating disasters, they're separated. Alex's family move from Dublin to America - and Alex goes with them. For good.

Rosie's lost without him. But on the eve of her departure to join Alex in Boston, Rosie gets news that will change her life forever - and keep her at home in Ireland.

Their magical connection sees them through the ups and downs of each others lives, but neither of them knows whether their friendship can survive the years and miles - or new relationships. And at the back of Rosie's mind is whether they were meant to be more than just good friends all along. Misunderstandings, circumstances and sheer bad luck have kept them apart, but when presented with the ultimate opportunity, will they gamble everything for true love?




I love Cecelia Ahern, I really do, but this book kept on making me so bloody frustrated because of the fact that it literally took them DECADES to realize that they were meant to be together. 


Ten years? 
Huh. 

Twenty? 
Nah

Thirty? 
Not even close. 

Forty? 
Nuh-uh.

F I F T Y !!! 

That's how long it took for them to get "together" together. Even though it's understandable given the situation and how things transpired, I have to admit it was quite very testing to read. Despite that, I don't even know why I'm complaining because Ahern's writing more than made up for all the hair-pulling I had to do- not to mention how awesome the characters were. 

“I think I need to face what I could have been in order to understand and accept what I am.”

This story was narrated entirely through letters, emails, instant messages, postcards, etc. exchanged between the characters and that was something I really enjoyed. Maybe it was the nosy busybody in me, but the way the book was presented gave us real insight into the characters' thoughts and emotions and we really get to understand why they did all they did. I daresay this contributed a lot towards  making us empathize wit the characters and not judge them too harshly for their decision making prowess- or lack thereof!


Have I told you how much I love the characters already? No. Well, listen to me now. Rosie was the kind of girl you would find yourself rooting for, until the very end. She took everything life threw at her with good grace and was very, very brave and strong. Alex was such an easy-going, relaxed kinda guy you wouldn't be able to help falling in love with. I tell you, I totally envied Rosie for having a bestfriend like Alex who'd be there through thick and thin for her. Check out an excerpt from the letter he wrote to her-  

"You deserve someone who loves you with every single beat of his heart, someone who thinks about you constantly, someone who spends every minute of every day just wondering what you're doing, where you are, who you're with and if you're OK. You need someone who can help you reach your dreams and who can protect you from your fears. You need someone who will treat you with respect, love every part of you, especially your flaws. You should be with someone who can make you happy, really happy, dancing-on-air happy. Someone who should have taken the chance to be with you years ago instead of becoming scared and being too afraid to try."

Head over heels in love with him already? If you're not, you'd be once you read this book- even though he was a bit of a coward when it came to expressing his feelings towards Rosie, he always did try his best. Anyway, Alex and Rosie were extremely likable, relatable characters and I really loved the kind of relationship they had.

I loved seeing how Rosie and Alex grew up together and found myself smiling, laughing, and even squeezed out the occasional tear when reading this beautiful book. Apart from them, there were quite a lot of characters I loved. The kids, Katie and Todd were splitting images of Rosie and Alex, and it was truly lovely to read about them. They, unlike their parents, ended up finding true love quite early on. 

"Life is funny isn’t it? Just when you think you’ve got it all figured out, just when you finally begin to plan something, get excited about something, and feel like you know what direction you’re heading in, the paths change, the signs change, the wind blows the other way, north is suddenly south, and east is west, and you’re lost. It is so easy to lose your way, to lose direction. And that’s with following all the signposts”

Ruby, Rosie's friend from work was a funny, sassy character who was very supportive of Rosie and was always ready to help her out. Their's was a very heart-warming relationship. Speaking of heart-warming, I also loved Rosie's relationship with her dad and her sister, and Alex's relationship with his brother. They were all very frank and were always supportive of our protagonists, at times even understanding them even better than they did themselves. 

Pacing wise, this book was perfect and had me hooked from page one and I desperately wanted to see how things would turn out to be. If you're thinking that a story about bestfriends finally finding love in each other is very clich├ęd, I assure you this book is definitely not so, and I urge you to pick this book up if you haven't already! 


The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 4/5
The characters: 4/5
The cover: 4/5
Enjoy factor: 4/5


PS: All that being said, I should also let you know that as soon as I read the book, I wanted to watch the movie (both on Vera's recommendation) and for probably the first time in forever, I ended up liking the movie more than I did the book! Lily Collins and Sam Claflin have just killed it as Rosie and Alex, and them not taking as much time as in the books to get together helped too! Do add the movie to your watchlist if you haven't watched it before. You will NOT regret it!

12 comments:

  1. Ok, this is getting creepy. Sorry, but this book/movie has been following me EVERYWHEREEEEE!
    I watched every single one of the available trailers last week in one sitting and was obsessed with trying to watch the movie...and then I forgot about it until I got a blogger message yesterday morning about the SAME BOOK! And now this review...I think that universe is telling me I need to read/watch this ASAP.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The universe is DEFINITELY begging you to give Love, Rosie a chance soon! I hope you try it soon, Kate- I'm sure you'd love it!

      Delete
  2. I've seen the movie and I'll stick with it. The other movie based on a Cecelia Ahern book was PS. I Love You and I ended up liking the movie way more than I did the book and being fair, I don't think I have it in me to "wait" 50 years to see them together, that seems like too much time LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise choice- I wouldn't recommend you to read the book since you've already watched the movie :)) There's no point, really, because the movie turned out to be much better than the book! I read PS. I Love You and I quite liked it, but not as much as I liked Ahern's other works. I'm yet to watch the movie but I'm really excited for it!

      Delete
  3. FIFTY YEARS? What the heck. Okay that really annoys me, and I don't think I can handle that. I'm glad the characters are so lovable, but I'd get so frustrated with FIFTY years of waiting.... Lovely review!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was annoying, by the end of the book I only pitied Alex and Rosie for all the years wasted. I'd recommend you the movie, though! It was so much fun, and they got together in their 30s, so that was a BIG relief :)

      Delete
  4. Wow does this look like an every so cute book! I understand the frustration that it took them years to develop their feelings, I would too! But I think that if it has a good ending, then it makes everything worth while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really IS a very cute book- and even more so as a movie! You got exactly what I felt, Em! Them taking that long to get together in the book wasn't as frustrating as it could have been just because of how everything transpired!

      Delete
  5. I read this one years ago and really enjoyed it. Yes, it took a long time for everything to fall into place but it seemed like time and fate were never on their side. I never have seen the movie but I definitely want to!

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like fate and time had jointly decided to NOT act in their favor, LOL :D Since you enjoyed the movie so much, I think you should give the movie a try, Tanya! It was so much better!!!

      Delete
  6. I cannot tell you how frustrated I was with every chance missed! Gosh lift your eye flaps Rosie! Great Review Ruzy!:)

    Call me biased but I love Lilly Collins and Sam Claflin too, so the book to movie transition is nearly complete, but alas the movie failed to intensify the frustration you get while 'reading' the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zena! Frustrating, it definitely was! :D I do agree that the movie failed to intensify the emotions we get while reading the story, but I felt that was a good thing :))

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)