Tuesday, February 23

12 Books That Became My Favorites, Even Though I Was Not Too Excited About Them

TTT is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Hi lovelies! Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic is Ten Book I Enjoyed Recently That Weren't My Typical Genre/Type of Book, but I changed it a tad bit, so I'm sharing with you the Top Ten Books That Became My Favorites, Even Though I Was Not Too Excited About Them. What a long title, damn.

*The links lead to my reviews*




I read The Darkest Minds closely after The 5th Wave, and as the latter was a total disappointment, I was convinced I'd hate TDM, as well. Imagine my surprise when I ended up adoring every single part of it, especially the characters.

Jennifer Mathieu's debut, The Truth About was one of my favorite books of 2014 for sure, so I had huge expectations for her future works. However, I got worried when I read the blurb of Devoted for the first time. See, I'm not at all religious and I'd had problems connecting to religious characters in the past. Anyhow, I had NOTHING to worry about because Devoted blew my mind. The characters, the plot, the relationships... literally everything was a 100% perfect.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm a HUGE  Lunar Chronicles fan, but here's a fun fact - if not for the hype, I'm sure I'd have never picked up Cinder. I read it around two years ago, but even then I wasn't that into dystopia anymore, least of all sci-fi, so the idea of Cinderella as a cyborg literally mortified me. I KNEW NOTHING BACK THEN! NOT.A.THING.

I had my doubts about A Wicked Thing, a.k.a. the book that received the worst critics ever, because of the negativity it's gotten. But thanks to Amy @ Pages of Starlight, who kept bringing it up in her posts, I finally dove into it a few weeks ago and I LOVED IT SO MUCH!!! Aurora's timid and uncertain character might not appeal to everyone, but considering her upbringing these characteristics suited her perfectly, in my opinion. One of the best retellings I've ever read.



Because of the mixed reviews All Fall Down received after its publication I had my doubts about this book, but oh my god, IT WAS WONDERFUL. An unreliable but kickass heroine, realistic supporting characters and a mind blowing twist in the end - this book had all. 

I never liked Adrian in Vampire Academy, so it's no surprise that I wasn't too pumped to read a series centered around him, but I'm so SO glad I caved in and picked up Bloodlines, because my love for it is WAY bigger than for VA. Sure, the series went a bit downhill after the 4th book, but Sydrian is one of my favorite couples to this day.

Without the hype in the community and the positive reviews *which I'm super-thankful for, btw* I'd have NEVER even considered reading either Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda or I'll Meet You There. The former's cover and title didn't appeal to me, while the latter sounded like a typical romance between two damaged characters. Boy, was I wrong! Both these novels are incredibly unique, emotional, realistic and funny (especially Simon), and I closed them with a huge ass grin on my face. 


How could I describe my feelings for Red Queen? First, came total excitement, then came devastation when the negative reviews surfaced, and finally, a sad decision - I was not going to read this novel. However, I have an obsession with gorgeous covers, and I could not stop myself from buying Red Queen. A couple of weeks back I picked the book up, at last, and was pleasantly surprised by it - the plot was really exciting, the characters AH-MA-ZING, and the whole book was great, despite the similarities it had with other dystopian novels. Definitely recommended. 

After that, I doubt you'll be surprised to hear that These Broken Stars was another novel that I picked up mainly for the cover. Imagine my surprise when I got invested in the story immediately after starting it. To this day, it is one of my favorite books to reread,

... as is Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Percy can ALWAYS put a smile on my face, and I can't believe it took me such a long time to give this series a chance. If not for one of my friends, I'm pretty sure I'd have never picked up The Lightning Thief, because it didn't sound like my type of book... Boy, was I wrong, because it is exactly the type of novel I love - quick, fun, emotional. 

It took me lots of time to gather my courage and start The Raven Boys, because I was a 100% convinced it was going to be about SHAPESHIFTERS, as in, BOYS WHO TURN INTO RAVENS. *facepalm* I can be super-clueless sometimes. But actually, this series has NOTHING to do with shapeshifters, but EVERYTHING to do with all kinds of awesome things, like kickass friendships, family and mystery everywhere. 

Have you read any of these books? What books became YOUR favorites, even though you did not expect much from them?
Leave a link to your TTT in the comments, and I'll make sure to check it out! :)




24 comments:

  1. Fantastic list Veronika! You've just reminded me that I need to read Devoted. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed it. I'm so pleased that you loved Simon Vs... I adore that book so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissi. Oh god, Devoted was PURE PERFECTION, I tell you. HOW COULD I NOT ADORE SIMON? That book was too good to describe with words.

      Delete
  2. I have These Broken Stars on my list this week as well. And i did pick it mostly up for the cover as well, so you are not alone there ;)
    Fantastic list and reminded me of quite a few books i wanted to read :)

    My TTT: http://booksbeautifylife.blogspot.de/2016/02/top-10-tuesday-books-different-books-i.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm quite convinced most of us picked it up because of the cover, but we did stay for the awesome story. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. Some great picks on here! I loved Bloodlines, Cinder, Darkest Minds, Simon, These Broken Stars, Raven Boys, and Red Queen! I'm so glad you gave them a chance. Especially Bloodlines because yes Sydrian!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eve! Sydrian is one of the most shippable (IS THAT EVEN A WORD?) couple I've ever read about. Can't believe I ever disliked Adrian.

      Delete
  4. I have Cinder/Lunar Chronicles on my list as well! Great minds \o/ Nice list this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many of these are on my TBR list! I can't believe I haven't got round to some of these yet, like Devoted, The Lightning Thief and The Raven Boys, they sound so good! I read Red Queen and I wasn't the biggest fan but I think it was more to do with timing than not actually enjoying it, I keep thinking about it anyway, so I will have to read book 2 just to make sure.

    Great list, Happy Reading
    Rachel @ Paein-and-Ms4Tune

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have to make time for those three sooner rather than later! Seriously, they're some of the best books I've ever read. Sad to hear that, can't wait to see what you think of book 2! Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to read it, yet, but I can't wait!

      Thanks. :)

      Delete
  6. You have a great list here. I LOVE Percy Jackson books, they are sooo good. I am trying to convinced my daughter to read them my husband and I loved those books!
    I cold not get into Bloodlines.
    I need to read a few from your list :)
    My TTT.

    Also, feel free to check out the last week of our <a href="http://justusbookblog.blogspot.com/2016/02/giveaway-week-four.html?m=0>giveaway!</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh god, you just HAVE TO convince her! I really wish I'd read Percy when I was younger - not that I didn't FULLY enjoy it as teen, but it might have been even more fun as a pre-teen. Oh well, I guess it's not for everyone. :)

      Delete
  7. Great list! I now really need to read The Darkest Minds and The Raven Boys soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! Hope you'll enjoy them! :)

      Delete
  8. Some great picks on here! I love The Percy Jackson books and the Raven Boys books, I also enjoyed Red Queen more than I thought I would, though it's not a favourite. The Darkest Minds and Cinder are both books that I really want to read.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/23/top-ten-tuesday-45/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You really, really should read Cinder and TDM, because they're quite different from any dystopian novels I've ever read. :)

      Delete
  9. I don't know what The Raven Boys is actually about, but I love that you thought it was about raven shifters lol. It is a series I want to try though because I have just heard so much about the amazing friendship, and I LOVE when books have amazing friendships!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my defense, I do believe what I thought makes more sense than boys from a private school being called raven boys lol. It sure has the most wonderful friendship EVER, so I'm sure you'll love it! :)

      Delete
  10. I just started Bloodlines yesterday! I LOVED the Vampire Academy Series, hopefully I will love this series as well! Great Top Ten!
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, hope you're enjoying Bloodlines! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  11. I was pretty surprised by how much I actually liked These Broken Stars, too. I picked it up half expecting not to care for it.

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, but it ended up giving me THE FEELS haha. :D

      Delete
  12. I LOVE The Darkest Minds. I have yet to read Passenger, though. And the ambiance and writing in The Raven Boys is what really makes it for me, I think. As well as the characters, of course. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Passanger yet, either - I want to finished TDM trilogy before I dive into that one. Same! It's one of those series in which the plot isn't *that* exciting but it's still a perfect series. Does that make sense? :D

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)