Tuesday, January 26

Top 15 Disappointing Books of 2015


Hi lovelies. Today's TTT topic is a FREEBIE, which means that I'm here with one heck of a negative topic, but I'm pretty sure you'd seen that coming, right? After much thinking - like 2 minutes - I decided to make a list of my top ten biggest disappointments of 2015, because there were SO MANY. I mean, sure 2015 was a great reading year for me - I said so in my End of the Year Survey - but there were still books that I expected to be better. So basically, this list is more about which books let me down, than about which ones I didn't enjoy. This means that you'll find everything here - maybe even 5 star rated novels. Who knows? *I do.*

My picks are in no particular order. 



   

And Then There Were None is the first Agatha Christie book I've ever read and I do believe that part of the reason I didn't LOVE it were my grand expectations. The story was super-intriguing, but the writing wasn't as captivating as I expected, and I didn't manage to get lost in the story and feel the kind of fear and confusion the characters must have been feeling. I still gave it 4 stars and a pretty positive review, but it'll surely take time for me to pick up another book by the author.

Slow Dance in Purgatory is not the only book by Amy Harmon that you'll see on this list, so I'm honestly not sure why I'm still bothering with her books when they're clearly not for me. My main problem with this novel was how cliché some parts of it were, especially the characters. Thinking back, I have literally no idea why I gave it 4 stars, but I'm going to blame this on Ruzaika, whom I'd buddy read this book with, and who enjoyed it a lot more than I. The difference between our opinions really comes through in our discussion review of the novel and its sequel.

Ruthless was one of my most awaited thrillers of 2015 but it was nothing but another disappointment. I expected a badass MC, a crazy escapade and lots and lots of excitement, but I got none of those. The heroine was as stuck up as one can be and the story really dragged at some parts - meaning, most of the time. Three stars, but it might actually be worse if I'd ever reviewed it. 

None of the Above is without doubt one of the most informative and authentic books of 2015 - but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is something that I enjoyed. The characters were hard to relate to, the romance was plain, and it could have been written more beautifully. Definitely recommended, but I couldn't gave it more than three stars. 

   

It pains me to talk about why I disliked Doll Bones because I absolutely adore Holly Black - her Curse Workers trilogy is marvelous, as well as, The Darkest Part of the Forest and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. But this novel... it just wasn't as magical as I expected it to be. The story was boooring, the characters not very well-developed and the whole book was just so flat. It had some redeeming qualities that I mention in my review, but not many. Three stars, but only because I adore Black. 

Vendetta was, like you could have read in my review, a pretty decent read, with exciting plot, surprising ending and good enough characters. In this case, the problem mostly lies with my expectations that were HUGE AS HELL. I would have liked if the characters were a bit more unique, the story a bit more fast-paced, and the romance not that insta-lovey. Still four stars, but mainly because it was different from everything I've read before.

Slammed is probably one of the biggest disappointments on this list and I totally blame the hype for that, because I set my expectations super-high for this one. Shortly, it was just not as different and powerful as everyone made it sound out to be. Also, the characters annoyed the fuck out of me many times. Three weak stars for this one. 

Infinity + One sounded exactly like my kind of book, being a Bonnie and Clyde retelling, and a sort of road trip romance, only with the characters trying to outrun the police. Well, I'm sure you've guessed that it wasn't - it being on my list and all. The characters sounded good, but I never managed to click with them, and the story was NO WAY NEAR as exciting and fast-paced as I expected it to be. 3-why-did-you-let-me-down stars. 

   

There's not a major problem with The Girl on the Train, besides the fact that my expectations were quite high thanks to the fact that it was compared to Gone Girl. WHY THE FUCK PUBLISHERS DO THAT WHEN THE BOOKS ARE NOT EVEN REMOTELY THE SAME??? I guess it did help sell the book, but it ruined the book for me, still four stars, but you can clearly see in my mini-review of it, that it didn't do the magic for me, despite being pretty enjoyable.

Crimson Bound was screaming: LOOK AT ME, I'M AWESOME, READ ME! So I did, and it was a pretty disappointing experience after how UNBELIEVABLY GREAT Cruel Beauty was. Maybe I can blame my expectations for this one, as well, but I was not impressed by either the characters or the plot, and the info-dumping was SO ANNOYING. 

Emmy & Oliver... how many times I've read that this book was SO ADORABLE, SO FUNNY AND OH-SO-WONDERFUL. I'm sorry but I doubt we read the same thing because this book failed to make me feel anything. I JUST DIDN'T CARE. Seriously, Oliver's dad could have taken him again, and I'd have been neutral about the whole thing. SORRY GUYS, DON'T KILL ME.

The day I finished Every Day was the day I promised myself to never read anything my friends recommend *jk*. It's a wonderful read, they said. Despite you not wanting to read it you should pick it up, they said. WELL, GUYS, THANKS A BUNCH. This book was so strange, which was all for at first but I lost interest, maybe because I didn't really like the characters. 


  

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, why did I ever bother with you after the terrible disappointment David Levithan caused me in Every Day? I have no common sense when it comes to hyped books, and even less when it comes to Christmas books, because ALL CHRISTMAS BOOKS ARE CUTE. Or so I thought before reading this novel that was the definition of not-cute. Lily is adorable, but Dash's horribleness can't even be described with words! I mean, I'd know, because I tried to do so in my review and failed miserably.

I'd been so very excited for I Was Here because I absolutely adore Forman's If I Stay and Where She Went - I never even counted on not liking it, but that is exactly what happened. The characters were PLAIN AND UNINTERESTING, but also UNLIKABLE at the same time. What a disappointment. I remember writing positive things about it in my review, but I could not recall any of them without re-reading the said review, and that tells more about the novel than I ever could.

My last pick -Winter- probably made a lot of you gasp in shock/horror, especially those of you who know that I rated the novel 5 stars, no less. Despite that I still think of it as a disappointment. Why? Because the plot - despite many things happening - was no way as exciting/intriguing as Cress's. Because, despite the 800+ pages, our characters didn't spend nearly enough time in bigger groups, and I missed their snarky conversations. Because our two 'new' main characters, Jacin and Winter, didn't do much - Winter BARELY DID ANYTHING, which was a total shame when I adored them both so much. Also, how little Marissa Meyer did with their relationship was the biggest disappointment of the century. I'm REALLY thinking about lowering my rating to AT LEAST 4, and that is precisely why you couldn't have seen a review of it - I know that would make me lower my rating and I DON'T WANT THAT BECAUSE I STILL LOVE THE SERIES!


What do you think about my list? Were any of these novels disappointments for you too? Or were any of them your favorites? In that case, feel free to answer my rant with a rant of yours telling me why you love the book(s). 

XX

22 comments:

  1. And Then There Were None is my favorite Christie, but you are correct about the writing. I think for me it's because I'm more of a character reader and her books are very much about the plots. I personally prefer Dorothy Sayers Lord Peter mystery books.

    I Was Here was a big disappointment for me too for the same reasons as you plus some.

    I'm afraid to read Winter because I was disappointed with Cress and it is SO LONG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still looking forward some of her other novels - especially now that I know what to expect. I'll check Dorothy Sayers's books out tomorrow - you made me interested. :)
      Well, I'm not really sure Winter is for, then. Cress was my favorite book in the series, still I ended up disliking Winter. I'd say, give it a chance if you're interested. If not... maybe leave the series at that. :(

      Delete
  2. You can't do this to my Agatha. You can't. Unless you want to break our friedship.
    LOL, no, no such luck! ;P

    It's funny how you've listed 4 or even 5 star books as disappointing. I'd need them to be under 3 stars to do the same.

    Not clicking with the characters is one of my biggest problem as well. It's not that they have to mirror me (or the young me), but I need a hook of sorts to get attached to them, even when they're not likeable. I don't know if I'm making great sense...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider them disappointments because, based on the previous books I read by the authors, I expected more. In Winter's case, a lot more, so much so that I changed my rating to 4 stars.
      Agree - I don't care if they're like me, I care about how realistic and unique they are.

      Delete
  3. I was disappointed with I Was Here too. I can totally see that about Every Day. I really liked it, but it is really strange. So it probably doesn't work for everyone (especially since the characters pretty much constantly change).

    Great list!

    Christina @ Books & Prejudice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that book disappointed quite a few of us. :( Glad you liked Every Day! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with I Was Here. If I Stay was so good but this book was just full out boring to me,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! Hope the author's next work is better. :)

      Delete
  5. Totally agree with you on Crimson Bound - as you know. I think I was probably expecting too much after the awesomeness that was Cruel Beauty, too. Besides, it kind of felt like a weak copy to me.

    I definitely see where you're coming from with Winter. I'm just trying to not think about it much because for pure enjoyment, I know I liked both Scarlet and Cress more. And this isn't something I WANT to say about the final book in a series.

    I'll warn you, for a mystery author, I think Agatha Christie is great - but if you're wanting 'thrillers' - where you really feel the emotions of the characters, you're probably going to be disappointed. Her books fit more into the genre of cozy mysteries, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really, REALLY hope the author's next novel is better than Crimson Bound - can't wait for it! We'll have to buddy read that one, as well. That is, if you're interested.

      I changed my rating of Winter to 4 stars - couldn't help it when I felt like it wasn't on the same level as my other 5 star rated novels. :(

      Yeah, I expected something altogether different from her.. Though, now that I know what her books are like, I'll try other novels by her.

      Delete
  6. There were definitely a lot of disappointments last year IMO. I agree that The Girl on the Train was not that suspenseful or well written. I was mostly bored!

    my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, but, thank god, there were many awesome books, too. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry to see that you didn't like any of these! I'm hoping to check out at least The Girl on the Train before the movie comes out.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy it - just don't go into it thinking that it is the new Gone Girl. :)

      Delete
  8. Slammed was one of the worst books I read in 2015. My goodness. Now thinking about it, I would have probably DNFed it now LOL
    Girl on the Train was also disappointing for me for the same reason you mentioned. Telling readers this was like Gone Girl was a big mistake. I bet the sales were awesome but the delivery wasn't as good and I figured everything out before it was revealed.
    I can totally understand your thoughts on Winter as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why I gave Slammed 4 stars now, I really should check back to that review and change it because I have ZERO good memories about the book.

      Delete
  9. Oh no! So sad to see Winter, Emmy & Oliver, and I Was Here on this list. I want to read all of them, but now I don't know! :0

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give them a chance - especially Winter and Emmy & Oliver bc others seem to love those. :)

      Delete
  10. I was also so disappointed by The Girl on the Train and I Was Here. They did not live up to my expectations at all. But I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy And Then There Were None! That is one of my favorite books. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, I still enjoyed it, and I guess the main problem was that I expected something different. Glad you loved it, though. :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)