Sunday, January 3

Our 2016 Challenges



A brand new year means so many things- new releases to look forward to, new books to dive into- and yes, new challenges to take up, too!

Well, I haven't really gone overboard with the challenges because this is going to be one hectic year for me- fifth semester at uni means we have to do an internship, so yeah, busy year ahead *sighs* Anyway, apart from the Goodreads challenge- 75 books this year, I hope I'd be able to do at least that- I decided to sign up for the 2016 Contemporary Challenge, hosted by Jillian at Jillian's Books and Montana from The Book Belles.


Click on the picture above to check out all about this challenge. There are basically six levels:

  • Poppy: 1-5 books
  • Carnation: 6-10 books
  • Peony: 11-15 books
  • Lily: 16-20 books
  • Tulip: 21-25 books
  • Rose: 26+ books

I'm hoping to reach at least the Peony Tulip level- guess we'll just have to wait and see how I fare!


Like Ruzi, I'm participating in the Goodreads challenge this year, too. A huge difference from last year is that I decided to take it easy, and set up a goal of 100 books, instead of 150. I'm graduating this year after all, and I have to accept that I'll have a lot less time than ever before. 

Besides that, I decided to participate in 6 challenges - all of which don't seem to be too overwhelming.


The first one I decided to sign up for is The Re-Read Challenge, hosted by Kelly @ Belle of the Literati. As you might know, I participated in this one last year, as well, and found it really useful, because it encouraged me to reread more. However, I rarely ever posted reread recaps to the monthly linky, and I'm hoping to change that in 2016. Wish me luck!

Hashtag: #ReRead2016

I'm hoping to reread: 

  • Raven Cycle series before The Raven King is published
  • The Lunar Chronicles to see Cinder and the rest's journey in full
  • and I have no idea about the rest because I usually reread on a whim, and like it that way.

To find out more about The Re-Read Challenge and sign up, visit this post.


The Fairytale Retelling Challenge is, yet again, something I participated in before. It is hosted by Mel @ The Daily Prophecy, and was one of my favorite challenges last year. This year, I'm aiming for the Evil Queen level, thus my goal is to read 10-15 retellings of any kind.

Hashtag: #fairytaleRC

Some that I'm super-interested in: 

  • Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay
  • The Madman's Daughter trilogy by Megan Shepherd
  • Teen Frankenstein by Chandler Baker
  • Heartless by Marissa Meyer 
  • Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
  • Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
  • The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan
  • Splintered by A. G. Howard
  • White Rabbit Chronicles by Gena Showalter
  • Wicked by Gregory Maguire 
  • Awaken by Meg Cabot
  • The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
  • Uprooted by Naomi Novik
  • A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas - because Amy keeps mentioning it in most of her posts.

Mel shares everything you need to know about the Retelling Challenge, in this post.


The Rock My TBR Challenge, hosted by Sarah K @ The YA Book Traveler, is probably the challenge that I'm looking forward to the most. For this challenge, I'm going to concentrate on my physical copies, because I seem to have abandoned them completely in favor of ebooks... but I didn't stop buying them, so that's a problem. My goal is to read at least 2 physical copies a month OR 1 physical copy & one ebook that I've had for more than a year. Seems doable, right?

Hashtag: #RockMyTBR


Find everything you need to know about Rock Me TBR here.


Finishing the Series reading challenge is hosted by Bea's Book Nook, and is a completely new thing to me, so I have NO IDEA if I can do it or not (probably not). I chose the third level, which means that my goal is to finish 3-6 series that I've already started but abandoned for some reason.

Hashtag: 

Here's a list of series I want to complete but I might change these later on:
  • Lux by Jennifer L. Armentrout - I've only read Shadows and Obsidian, so that's four more books until the end of the series.
  • The Wolves of Mercy Falls by Maggie Stiefvater- read the original trilogy, so only one book, Sinner, is left.
  • Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater - only one book left, and its publication has been postponed to April. WHYY?
  • Castles Ever After by Tessa Dare - so far, 3 books have been published (not sure if there'll be any more) and I've only read the first one. That's two books left + the ones that may be published in 2016. 
  • Immortal Game by Ann Aguirre - the final novel comes out in August, and I only need that one book to finish the series.
  • Night Prince by Jeaniene Frost - I've read the first two books, so two more to go.
  • Abandon by Meg Cabot - only one novel, Awaken, left!
  • White Rabbit Chronicles by Gena Showalter - I've only read the first novel, so three more to go!
  • Coincidence by Jessica Sorensen - two books left.
  • Wait for You by Jennifer L. Armentrout - three novels until the end.
  • Psy-Changeling by Nalini Singh - I read 7 of the 15 books, thus I have eight to read. Impossible. 
Hopefully, I'll manage to finish at least half of the listed series, because all of them have been on my tbr for AGES.
For more information on the Finishing the Series Challenge, visit this post.




The last challenge I signed up for is Commenting 365 Challenge and it is hosted by Nori from ReadWriteLove28. The goal is to comment on 365 blogs through 2016 - it does sound a bit impossible, but I'm going to try, of course, without making it stressful, because visiting other people's blogs should never be a burden.
To find out everything about this challenge, click here.

We know what you're all thinking - Vera went waaay overboard with all these challenges, but this is something we both thought would be a lot of fun (just imagine all the buddy reads we could do!)- so how can we resist? The 2016 Diverse Reads Book Challenge is hosted by Mishma @ Chasing Faerytales and Shelly @ Read.Sleep.Repeat. and doesn't have any levels, so there's, basically, no stress here, and we LOVE that. 

Hashtag: #DiverseReads2016

For more info on this challenge visit this post.

So, that's all the challenges we took up, what about you? 
Have you signed up for any?

❤️

26 comments:

  1. I'm horrible at reading challenges so I'm not participating in any this year :( I'm trying out Nori's commenting challenge though (which is actually how I ended up here on your blog) and I'm very excited because it's one of my resolutions to comment on other (especially new to me) blogs. :) Good luck with all these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO BAD AT THEM TOO because I have close to no organization skills. I'm so excited to find new blogs through Nori's challenge! Will head over to yours now. :) Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Yaaaaay for you both trying the challenge! <3

      Delete
  2. Yeaay, thanks for joining again :D I can't wait to read Marissa Meyer's upcoming book. I'm also doing the re-read challenge and Rock my TBR. Happy reading and good luck :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting it again! :D IT SOUNDS SO GOOD! Thanks and good luck to you, too! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, those are a lot of challenges but nonetheless good luck to both of you with all the reading ahead of you and of course, with UNI!!! I'm only participating in the Goodreads challenge and although I read 111 books in 2015, I'm only going for 52 this year. I know I will probably read more but I also wanna read my bigger books and I wanna spend more time within every each book I read - especially if they are good LOL. But we'll see. I'm in a weird reading mood right now. I just don't feel like picking up anything and that also annoys me but I hope I can get on the reading wagon soon enough while balancing with my exams :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Noelia! I totally support that decision because I believe that the pressure of going for a bigger number can actually have a bad influence on the reading experience. Hope you'll get out of this slump soon. And BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR EXAMS!!

      Delete
  4. Woah, Vera, you sign up for a LOT of challenges! I'd have a nervous breakdown trying to complete as much as you! And you have to complete the Lux series because it has such a satisfying conclusion! Wish you both the best of luck with all your challenges! (Ruzi, I'm positive you can OWN that contemporary challenge!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I wasn't planning on it, but there are so many awesome challenges out there! Can't wait to continue the series! Thanks, Ranu! :)

      Delete
  5. Well that's a lot of challenges! :D I only participated in 4 challenges this year, one of which is Commenting 365 challenge. It sounds really fun and I hope I could discover more blog through that challenge! Anyway, hope you guys could completed it all! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tiffany. We wish you good luck on your challenges, as well. :)

      Delete
  6. Hello Vera and Ruzi! #Commenting365 brought me here! And I'm also joining in #RockMyTBR Reading Challenge. Vera. I actually just posted a list of books that I'll try to finish for that challenge. Have a great year ahead to the both of you.

    Jennilyn @ RurouniJenniReads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yay, can't wait to meet new bloggers through this awesome challenge. Good luck on your challenges! :)

      Delete
  7. Ooh such great sounding challenges! GOOD LUCK YOU GUYS!! I was going to sign up for some, but...eh, I chickened out. XD I'm really bad at being social about these things and always forget to post about it throughout the year. hehe. But the commenting challenge sounds really unique and amazing! WOOT!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cait! :) Haha, I can totally understand that. It sure does. :D

      Delete
  8. Great challenges this year. I am also doing the Commenting 365 challenge as well. The Finishing the Series challenge looks like fun, too. Awesome, Veronika. :)
    #Commenting365

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of luck to you both on your challenges this year! While I have challenged myself, I've not really 'joined' any challenges. I totally fail at posting on the link-ups and often one of the requirements for the book to count for the challenge is that is has to be reviewed (at least the ones I look at are that way) and I sometimes just don't want to review a book. Anyway, I'm also doing a finish the series challenge - because I seem to never finish series that I've started. I'm also doing a 'chunky book' challenge and a TBR clean-up challenge. Plus, naturally, the Goodreads challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! :D I don't really like those kind of challenges either, and, if I remember correctly, none of these are that way, although I think you can get + entries in the giveaway with reviews. I really hope you'll complete all your challenges! :D

      Delete
  10. Wow, what a lot of challenges!! Good luck with all of them. I'm participating in the Goodreads challenge and Commenting365. I decided not to do as many this year so I don't feel pressured to read certain books, because I am SUCH a mood reader. Have a great 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ava! Great decision. :) Wish you tons of luck for your challenges.

      Delete
  11. I'm so happy that you decided to participate in the Commenting 365 challenge! I hope that you're having fun so far! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure I am, although I am SO BEHIND on commenting. Will have to catch up! :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)