Thursday, January 21

5 Thoughts on The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle

“Accidents happen. Our bones shatter, our skin splits, our hearts break. We burn, we drown, we stay alive.”


It's the accident season, the same time every year. Bones break, skin tears, bruises bloom.

The accident season has been part of seventeen-year-old Cara's life for as long as she can remember. Towards the end of October, foreshadowed by the deaths of many relatives before them, Cara's family becomes inexplicably accident-prone. They banish knives to locked drawers, cover sharp table edges with padding, switch off electrical items - but injuries follow wherever they go, and the accident season becomes an ever-growing obsession and fear.

But why are they so cursed? And how can they break free?








*I was given an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.*

1.
The book started with a bang.

Basically, on the VERY FIRST PAGE, Cara discovered that Elsie, one of her schoolmates and her ex-friend, is in ALL her photos. Now if that's not scarily intriguing to you, I don't know what is. 

2.
The slow plot was made enjoyable by the mystery.

“There are no ghosts; only the dust in the light, our breath and the wind in the quiet, and the feeling that something, or a lot of somethings, are watching us. So maybe there are ghosts after all.”

I'm not going to lie, the plot wasn't THAT exciting, but the mystery more than made up for that. The story was slow and kind of uneventful but between the strange, but beautiful writing and the creepy atmosphere I honestly couldn't be bored. Also, let's not forget about the spooky Elsie dolls that were mentioned more than once.


I also loved how the more I knew, the more confused I was, and how I felt like I couldn't trust in Cara's judgement fully. Technically, she wasn't an unreliable narrator but her fear of the accident season and her total belief in it made me question how reasonable she was being about it. I kept wondering if the accident season was real, or was it just something that happened because they furiously believed in it, like Alice seemed to think so. 

3.
The characters were interesting but I didn't love them. 

Don't get me wrong, there wasn't anything that I particularly hated about them, actually, they were all well-crafted and quite unique, but I couldn't click with them. This surprised me because I'm all for strange and unusual characters, but these guys just weren't too relatable. Maybe that can be thanked to the fact that... 

4.
The relationship between the characters was way too strange for my taste.

They went around randomly kissing each other FOR NO REASON, and maybe the problem is with me, but I just could not understand that. The ships weren't the best ever either, but I was satisfied with the relationship of Cara and Sam. They were SO PERFECT together and I shipped them through everything. The other forming couple fell a bit flat for me - I liked some parts of their relationship, but their chemistry wasn't so good.

5.
The ending wasn't as satisfactory as I wanted it to be.

The big revelation at the end made COMPLETE sense and I actually loved it. What I didn't like were all the questions that STILL remain, which bothers me a lot. I'm also not fully happy with how little the characters talked to each other in the end - especially to their mother. 

Overall...

I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who's interested. However, it is not for everyone. If you don't enjoy stories that leave you in the dark until the last few chapters, and only then explain everything, this book is not for you.

The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 3.5/5
The characters: 3/5
The cover: 3/5
Enjoy factor: 5/5

      

6 comments:

  1. I've seen a lot of this one over the last couple months but for some reason it's just never grabbed me. I'm glad you enjoyed it overall, despite there still being questions left unanswered. (That would drive me crazy. LOL)

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so lucky! It totally grabbed me and then was a disappointment considered to my expectations. I guess it didn't drive me insane because the important things were answered but still.

      Delete
  2. I've seen this one around but although I enjoy mystery and dark plots, I never really felt the appeal. Also, I'm slowly accepting that YA is no longer the genre I look forward to reading. It's sad but that's just what it is. Glad you enjoyed it though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, that sucks about you not enjoying YA anymore, hopefully, you'll still pick up a few once in awhile. :D

      Delete
  3. I have wanted to read this one so badly! And I think I definitely have to now. I like creepy books, and those quotes are so lovely. But that doll GIF just may give me nightmares. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you'll enjoy it, Erin! Haha, that was my goal. :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)