Thursday, December 3

Sophie Kinsella - Shopaholic to the Rescue (Shopaholic #8)


Becky Bloomwood and a hilarious cast of beloved family and friends (plus one enemy!) set off in a van to find her missing father, last heard from in Las Vegas.

Becky’s father Graham and her best friend’s husband, Tarquin, have disappeared from Los Angeles saying simply they have “something to take care of.”

But Tarquin’s wife Suze who is Becky’s best friend, and Becky’s mother Jane, are convinced the two men are hiding something and are in danger—their imaginations run wild. They must track them down!

Hijinks ensue as husband Luke drives Becky, daughter Minnie, Jane, Suze and other favorite Kinsella characters across country from LA to Las Vegas in search of the missing men.

Becky feels deeply guilty about ignoring her father while he was in LA, in addition Becky feels her enemy Alicia is threatening her friendship with Suze.

Before starting to gush over this book, I must say the last one was quite disappointing- I was even afraid the author was losing her touch and maybe, just maybe, it's high time she stopped this series. But no. Sophie Kinsella- and Becky Bloomwood- are back with a bang in this latest installment of the Shopaholic series, and I must say I'm one happy, contented reader.

In this book, Becky and Co. go on a road trip to Las Vegas in the pursuit of her father and Tarquin who decided it would be one marvelous idea to disappear into thin air. While every book in the Shopaholic revolves around Becky, this one is more focused on the mystery surrounding her dad and Tarkie's disappearance. There were some other issues here as well, concerning Suze's marriage and Becky's parents. 


I was observing Becky with the eye of an eagle for some development in her character- which had me quite frustrated in the last book- and I'm really happy to say that she has grown into an awesome woman, sans the over-silliness and selfishness we saw in her before. She struggled with some issues of her own and went through them bravely like the pro that she is- and finally went on to save the day with me cheering her right on.   


This book made me laugh out loud one too many times, ponder over the characters and root for them through and through, proving Sophie Kinsella as the Queen of chick-lit once again.  I missed Luke Brandon so much and I loved seeing the ever-patient Luke and Becky's relationship. My only woe is that I'd love to see more of them together. Another book focusing entirely on them, please?

I kind of felt the book ended with a sort of goodbye to all the characters, with all the loose knots tied and the plots being done. If this book is the final book in the series, I'm happy since it was a great read, but should it continue, I wholeheartedly wish the author continues keeping up the authenticity of the series- which she kind of lost from book five to seven. That being said, if another book comes out- I'm definitely reading it! Who am I kidding, write a hundred more, Kinsella, I'm reading them all.


Recommended to all who wanted the originality of the series back- and to anyone who loves a good laugh.

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 5/5
The characters: 5/5 - a major improvement from the last book
The cover: 4/5
Enjoy factor: 5/5

         

2 comments:

  1. I have not read anything by Kinsella but I knew about this series and I've also watched the movie which I found entertaining. I'm glad you loved this one especially after being disappointed with the previous installment. Getting the warm fuzzies again for a series you love is the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh em gee- I recommend Kinsella if you ever are in the mood for chick-lit! She's amazing :D Anyway, I'm really glad this book turned out to be much better than the previous ones in the series- you're right, getting the warm fuzzies again is the best thing ever!♥

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)