Thursday, December 17

Cecelia Ahern - The Gift


“One thing of great importance can affect a small number of people. Equally so, a thing of little importance can affect a multitude. Either way, a happening big or small can affect an entire string of people.”

Step into the magical world of Cecelia Ahern.

If you could wish for one gift this Christmas, what would it be?

Everyday Lou Suffern battled with the clock. He always had two places to be at the same time. He always had two things to do at once. When asleep he dreamed. In between dreams, he ran through the events of the day while making plans for the next. When at home with his wife and family, his mind was always someplace else.

On his way into work one early winter morning, Lou meets Gabe, a homeless man sitting outside the office building. Intrigued by him and on discovering that he could also be very useful to have around, Lou gets Gabe a job in the post room.

But soon Lou begins to regret helping Gabe. His very presence unsettles Lou and how does Gabe appear to be in two places at the same time?

As Christmas draws closer, Lou starts to understand the value of time. He sees what is truly important in life yet at the same time he learns the harshest lesson of all.

This is a story about people who not unlike parcels, hide secrets.They cover themselves in layers until the right person unwraps them and discovers what’s inside. Sometimes you have to be unravelled in order to find out who you really are. For Lou Suffern, that took time.
Before I start my review I simply have to tell you this: Cecelia Ahern is an extremely brilliant writer. I've read one book by her before this- If You Could See Me Now and I liked it a lot, but it was some time back and I didn't happen upon one of her books again until this. So I had quite forgotten the name of the author and so I started The Gift with no expectations whatsoever, preparing myself to see what this "new" author would give me- I know, I'm cringing here too, like, how could I forget an author I'd read and loved before?!! Anyway, I was about 10% into the book when I realized I had read a book by the author before (well, I was more like, OMG OMG OMG HOW COULD I FORGET, THIS IS CECELIA AHERN!!!!!!!!).



I don't make much sense here, do I? What I meant to tell you is that Cecelia Ahern has quite a lovely, unique way of writing that somehow pulls you into the book. She takes a serious, and maybe complicated, subject and weaves it into a magical story that you can't help but fall in love with. She did it with If You Could See Me Now, and she did it again with The Gift- and I'm sure her other books are just as good or even better and can't wait to check some of them out some time soon! 

On to the review now- The Gift revolves around Lou Suffern, a typical workaholic who, as workaholics often do, neglects his family as he focuses climbing up, up and up the ladder of success at work. And just like most cases, he caves in to womanizing tendencies to relieve himself, while his wife, kids, parents and siblings wait patiently for their husband, father, son and brother to realize the folly of his ways and return back to them. Things start changing for Lou when he meets Gabe, the mysterious, kind of creepy, homeless man who sits outside his office building.


It goes without saying that I loved the author's writing style. I found myself lost in the story right from page one. Even though this book is set during Christmas, it's not particularly Christmas themed, but still the author manages to make us feel the spirit of Christmas as she describes the warmth of the seasonal atmosphere and manages to make the reader feel it too as she spins this magical tale. 

What's really amazing about this book is that the protagonist is a bit of a jerk and is quite unlikable, but by the end of the book, you'd find yourself rooting for him- even if that's more for the sake of his family than for him. I completely loved the ending, even though it did manage to make me squeeze out a tear or two and couldn't help but wish things had turned out differently for Lou Suffern.


“A lesson finds the common denominator and links us all together, like a chain. At the end of that chain dangles a clock, and on the face of the clock registers the passing of time. We see it and we hear it, the hushed tick-tock, but often we don’t feel it. Each second makes its mark on every single person’s life comes and then goes, quietly disappearing without fanfare, evaporating into air like steam from a piping hot Christmas pudding. Enough time leaves us warm; when our time is gone, it leaves us cold.”

If you are on the lookout for a touching Christmas read this year, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book to you. Overall, The Gift was a great Christmas read, through which the author managed to deliver the message perfectly across-

“Time can’t be given. But it can be shared.”

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 4.5/5
The characters: 5/5
The cover: 4/5
Enjoy factor: 5/5
        

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a nice book to read at Christmas time - one that might make me appreciate my life a little more!
    I have never read anything by Cecelia Ahern, but I do love that quote that you've shared, so I will have to check out her books!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're going to give Ahern a try, I'm pretty sure this is a great place to start! I hope you go ahead with it, Sabrina, it really is a magical Christmas read!
      Thanks :))

      Delete
  2. I read 'P.S: I Love You' by Ahern a long time ago but although I liked it, it was one of those rare occasions where I prefered the movie. Shocking, but true! I know about this book because I see it around bookshop at this time of year and I'm glad to hear that although it is set around Christmas time it is not per se a christmassy read because I don't know why.... I don't like those. Maybe it is because I find them way too cheesy
    Thanks for sharing Ruzaika!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, that truly is shocking! I don't think I've ever liked a movie better than the book. But then, I've never read/watched P.S: I Love You so I'll reserve my judgement. :D
      You should totally give this book a try if you're looking for a book to read around Christmas that isn't too christmassy, Noelia!! ❤️

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)