Friday, December 25

{Guest Post by Annie @ The Runaway Reader} 5 Sweet Treats I Love for the Holidays.



When Veronika asked me to write a holiday-themed post for her Christmas series, I immediately thought of food. Why? Well, for me at least, food is a huge part of what makes the holidays so special. There's nothing I love more than gathering around with family and friends and some good food. I mean, I love food all year round but sharing it with loved ones during the holidays just makes everything infinitely better and more festive. Here, I've come up with a list of some food items I look forward to indulging in every holiday season and since I have a massive sweet tooth, these are all seasonal sweets / desserts I love!


5 sweet treats I love for the holidays.



1. Apple Cider

Apple cider is one of my favourite beverages come winter. It's a little tart, a little sweet with all the spices that make Christmas and the holidays so cozy. Even though apple cider can be bought any day of the year, we only end up having it when December rolls around and I don't think I'd want it any other way. Apple cider, to me, just screams winter and cozying up by the fireplace while snow is piling up outside. 



2. Chocolate Macadamia Lacey Cookies


Once December rolls around, my mum makes a drive to Costco specifically to gets these cookies. They're only sold during holiday season (according to her, anyway) so we always stock up once they come out on sale because they are SO GOOD. They're classified as cookies but really should be considered a chocolate brittle. Either way, they are DELICIOUS. Chocolate macadamia laceys are essentially two pieces of toffee brittle with macadamia nuts coated with a ring of milk chocolate. What can get better than that?




3. Pillsbury Christmas Cookies
If you have never tried Pillsbury cookies, YOU ARE MISSING OUT. They are seriously the best things ever and you don't even have to do any work besides popping them in the oven to make them. Delicious and easy to make? WIN-WIN, RIGHT? They're these soft shortbread, sugar cookie, vanilla cookie cross and they're so CHEWY and just absolutely amazing so if you can get your hands on them this holiday season, DO IT. And tell me if I've made you a Pillsbury cookie convert (they make special holiday themed cookies for Valentine's Day and other holidays too but obviously, get the Christmas Tree ones for Christmas!)



4. Gingerbread Ice Cream


I know ice cream may sound like an odd choice but I am of the opinion that there is never, NEVER a bad moment for ice cream. Even if it's negative 20 degrees outside. Great, your ice cream won't melt! Besides, December is the ONLY time I can get my favourite holiday-themed flavour, gingerbread. I'm not a huge fan of gingerbread cookies themselves (although also very Christmas-y) but gingerbread ice cream is DELICIOUS. Pumpkin ice cream is also a close runner-up for my favourite Christmas-time exclusive ice cream flavour. And eggnog... let's not even go there. But gingerbread is definitely a favourite. Come December, I'm just ticking down the days until I can go get myself some gingerbread flavoured ice cream.




5. Tea / Hot Chocolate / Coffee
It doesn't need to be said that these three are holiday staples but I'm going to say it again because there is nothing more perfect than a nice, hot cup of tea / hot chocolate / coffee when it's cold and bitter outside. Tea-wise, I love a good cup of english breakfast with sugar and milk (can you tell I'm typically solidly on team coffee?) but I've been trying to get into other teas as well since I got a few brews from David's Tea for my birthday and I've really been enjoying Glitter and Gold actually (but with a few sugar cubes, still). Hot chocolate wise, I am a HUGE fan of the mint hot cocoa mix I get every winter. I love anything mint chocolate and mint chocolate cocoa mix is DELICIOUS. Although I do also love just classic hot chocolate, like the one I get after skating. And coffee wise, I always go for whatever the seasonal drink at Starbucks is. This year, I've been really loving the caramel brulee latte, gingerbread latte and, peppermint mocha (told you I loved the mint-chocolate combination!). But I also find their year round staples are good for the holidays as well like their hazelnut macchiato and their salted caramel mocha. 



So there's my list of the 5 sweets I look forward to in December! In addition to spending time with family and friends and such, of course. I recommend you join me this holiday season in indulging in these treats, preferably with a good holiday-themed book or movie!


And once again, thank you to Veronika for having me on her blog! Merry Christmas and happy holidays!


1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas!!! Hot Chocolate is my favourite beverage during the holidays or anything with Gingerbread in it, as well. But, my favourite things besides Ferrero Rocher, has to be Turrón - it's a very Spanish thing. A type of nougat. I don't know if other countries have it but it's the most amazing thing ever and I always eat way too much of that hahaha

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)