Thursday, December 31

2015 End of the Year Book Survey - Part 1



Hello lovelies, it's me Ruzaika here today with my End of Year Book Survey. I'm really excited to be doing this because it's obviously going to make me feel very good about myself  2015 didn't bite me in the ass quite as much as 2014 2015 has been such an exciting year for me, what with getting to know our resident bookworm, Vera, and joining her as a co-blogger of The Regal Critiques. Yeah, so 2015- you go right under my microscope!


Number Of Books You Read: As of December 28th I’ve read a total of 91 books. Doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm pretty happy with it considering I signed up for 80 on my Goodreads Reading Challenge this year, and uni has been pretty taxing too. 

Number of Re-Reads: I re-read the Princess Diaries to prepare myself for Royal Wedding- so that'd be 10 this year. 

Genre You Read The Most From: I'm not really sure- it's either Contemporary or Fantasy- not much of a difference in their total count I guess. Forgive me for being lazy here!



1. Best Book You Read In 2015? 

Well, that's not a very good question. I've been introduced to so MANY authors this year. Well, I'll have to go with ten of my favs:


2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Charlie, Presumed Dead by Anne Heltzel. I'm still in two minds about it honestly- I read so many great reviews about it and was very eager to pick it up, but it just didn't click with me. Not that it's NOT good, but IDK.


3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?  

In a good way: Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas- after Gone Girl, I was sure no other book would impress me, but this one did. Not as much as the previous for sure, but it still was surprisingly good for a YA Thriller. 


4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? 

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I recommended it to so many friends and it was so awesome when they all told me they cried after reading it *evil laughs*


5. Best series you started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015? 


6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015? 

That's quite a long list, I'll go with just one- Renee Ahdieh! 


7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? 

Dystopian- I can't believe I've spent all these past years steering away from this genre- yeah, shoot me! Marissa Meyer and Suzanne Collins deserve a pat in the back for making me enjoy this genre. The Lunar Chronicles. The Hunger Games.  


8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

Gone Girl. I know this is not a book for everyone, but my nose was practically glued to the pages when reading it. Argh.


9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? 

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh, definitely.


10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015? 

There were so many, but The Heir by Kiera Cass really takes the cake. 


11. Most memorable character of 2015? 

Amy Dunne from Gone Girl is hands down the most awesome woman ever! 


12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015? 

The Gift by Cecelia Ahern was really beautifully written, I loved how the author set the Christmas atmosphere perfectly.  


13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015? 

I Love I Hate I Miss My Sister by Amélie Sarn was such an intense, thought-provoking book. More so because I could relate to it on a personal note. 


14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read?  

The Mediator series by Meg Cabot- I'm such a huge fan of her, I don't even know why I didn't pick up this series sooner! 


15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015? 

I honestly cannot resist sharing this:


“For several years, I had been bored. Not a whining, restless child's boredom (although I was not above that) but a dense, blanketing malaise. It seemed to me that there was nothing new to be discovered ever again. Our society was utterly, ruinously derivative (although the word derivative as a criticism is itself derivative). We were the first human beings who would never see anything for the first time. We stare at the wonders of the world, dull-eyed, underwhelmed. Mona Lisa, the Pyramids, the Empire State Building. Jungle animals on attack, ancient icebergs collapsing, volcanoes erupting. I can't recall a single amazing thing I have seen firsthand that I didn't immediately reference to a movie or TV show. A fucking commercial. You know the awful singsong of the blasé: Seeeen it. I've literally seen it all, and the worst thing, the thing that makes me want to blow my brains out, is: The secondhand experience is always better. The image is crisper, the view is keener, the camera angle and the soundtrack manipulate my emotions in a way reality can't anymore. I don't know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. If we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
It's a very difficult era in which to be a person, just a real, actual person, instead of a collection of personality traits selected from an endless Automat of characters. 
And if all of us are play-acting, there can be no such thing as a soul mate, because we don't have genuine souls.
It had gotten to the point where it seemed like nothing matters, because I'm not a real person and neither is anyone else.
I would have done anything to feel real again.” 


16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015? 

That's easy, thanks to ‘My year in books’ on Goodreads. 


17. Book That Shocked You The Most. 

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. Call me ignorant, but I never thought places like Diginitas even existed. 


18. OTP of the Year. 

Shazi and Khalid from The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh. Take a bow, guys!


19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year. 

Iko and Cinder from The Lunar Chronicles for sure! I totally adored Iko. 


20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously. 

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty- I really love the way she deals with the plot!


21. Best Book You Read In 2015 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure: 

The Mediator series, thanks to Vera :D I was quite sure I'd never read that series, don't even ask me why. 


22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015? 

Khalid ibn Al-Rashid, Caliph of Khorasan (from The Wrath and the Dawn). So what if I have a thing for broken guys?


23. Best 2015 debut you read?

There were so many, but I think I'll go with Pretending to Be Erica by Michelle Painchaud


24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? 

I think Renee Ahdieh did a really wonderful job with the world-building in The Wrath and the Dawn- take me there already! And OMG, the food! 


25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? 

Shopaholic to the Rescue by Sophie Kinsella, I always love reading about Becky's misadventures- and LUKE BRANDON!!! Marry me already!


26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015? 

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes *sniffles* My heart BROKE for Will Traynor!


27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? 

Between Now and Goodbye by Hannah Harvey. I picked it up solely based on my instincts and I ended up liking it quite a lot. 


28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? 

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh. That ending. Ugh.  Why, oh, why?!!


29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015?

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I can't even find the words to tell you how much I loved that book. It was THE BEST.


30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? 

Proof of Forever by Lexa Hillyer- the plot was totally wasted, the writing, the characters and the pacing made it one frustrating read.



1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2015? 

There are so many, I'll just list a few of my most favorites-


2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2015? 

There were many, but I quite loved my review of Me Before You and The Wrath and the Dawn a lot.


3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog? 

Non-review post, Haunted Libraries From Around the World was something I loved researching for! 


4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? 

This may sound terribly pretentious, but I loved Spooky October and A Christmas Story here at The Regal Critiques *dares you to say otherwise*


5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015? 

JOINING THE BLOGGING COMMUNITY- thank you, Vera! I wouldn't be here if not for you, like, seriously. Blogging? Me? I'm so glad you convinced me to co-blog with you. LOVE YOU!


6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? 

Balancing reading, reviewing and uni was pretty tough, but I DID IT!


7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? 

*looks around sneakily* I made Vera find that out for me, LOL, and it's our discussion review of Royal Wedding by Meg Cabot! I'm so glad it has the most views because I simply LOVED gushing over that book with Vera!


8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? 

I'm thankful for ALL the love you guys have shown! Love y'all! 


9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? 

Erm, The Regal Critiques, or rather, Reading is Dreaming With Open Eyes as we were previously called.


10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? 

I only ever signed up for the 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge, and yeah, I did it.



1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016? 

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon. I kept on meaning to read it this year, but I somehow didn't end up picking it up. Next year, hopefully.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)? 

The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury sounds like a really intriguing retelling of Aladdin. Looking forward to it!

3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? 

The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi- the premise sounds really promising!
 

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016? 

The Rose and The Dagger by Renee Ahdieh- I can't wait to see how it would all turn out to be!


5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016? 

Read more, review more, blog hop more! I don't do enough of all these!


6. A 2016 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone: 

Nope, not so lucky :( *perking up* Maybe I'll have one for next year!


Well, guys, so that was my annual book survey for 2015. Stay tuned for Vera's post, but meanwhile, tell me what you think of my splendid 2015 in the comments below!


WE WISH YOU A HAPPY NEW YEAR - 2016!

11 comments:

  1. Winter is awesome and everybody has to agree with that ;P and yes yes yes yes Iko is amazing and I love her and she's sassy as hell and doesn't let anything get her and she's an awesome friend and can't you tell I love her?? hahaha
    And you are a sweetheart and I'm also happy to have met you this year <33 and hey, let's pat ourselves in the back for balancing all things although Uni can be a big bitch.
    Happy New Year Ruzaika!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Iko and Cinder are wayyy awesome, eeek!! I can totally tell how much you love them- almost everyone does!
      I'm so so glad I got to know you, too! I love all the feedback you leave and your blog is simplyyy superb! And yessss, pat ourselves on our backs, we should. Uni was horrible!
      Have a great 2016, Noelia!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree re: Charlie, Presumed Dead! A good premise but weird execution! I haven't heard of Dangerous Girls but that sounds right up my alley, definitely going to check it out! Great year in books!

    My 2015 Survey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh yeah, Charlie, Presumed Dead was so bizarre. AND OMG YOU SOOOOOO SHOULD READ DANGEROUS GIRLS! It's so AWESOME! I mean, seriously, pick it up already!

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed reading all your answers, Ruzaika! I think 91 books in a year is a lot! I set my GR goal at 85 but fell short - only 75 this year. Oh well! Loved seeing I'll Meet You There listed as one of your favorites. It's one of mine as well. And Me Before You. Loved that one. And I *really* need to read The Wrath and the Dawn... soon.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad you loved my answers :D 75 books is not so bad, Tanya! My 91 includes novellas too, so it's not a very big deal, LOL. Oooh, do do do read TWatD soon! It's sequel will be out this year, so now would be the perfect time to give it a try!

      Delete
  4. YES. Dangerous Girls (I win!) and The Hunger Games are two of my favorite books of all time, so I am so glad you read them and ended up liking them as much as I did. xD Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous answers! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I couldn't hate DG even if I tried, LOL! I'm spp glad Veronika talked me into reading The Hunger Games, I LOVED them!
      Thanks, Zoe!

      Delete
  5. ...Picture my face with a big smile on it.
    Thank you for the mention Ruzi! I wish you a great 2016, and hope we can join forces at some point (unless it's Christmas haha). You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I can piture you alright :D So glad I got to know you in 2015, Roby! Looking forward to more collabs! You simply rock, too :))

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)