Wednesday, December 30

2015 Challenges Wrap Up A.K.A. I Smell Failure





Hello sweeties. If you've been following The Regal Critiques for a while, I bet you know that in 2015 I signed up for 5 reading challenges + the Goodreads challenge - with hopes of completing all of them.



 Let's see how I did in my challenges, starting from the ones I managed to complete.

As per usual, click on the covers for Goodreads. 



The first challenge that I'd like to mention is the Goodreads challenge. My goal was to read 150 books this year and I completed it, despite my worries. I read 158 books altogether, which I consider pretty good. 

You can check out My Year in Books here. Also, in a couple of days Ruzaika and I will be posting our end of the year surveys (separately), with even more info on what we've read this year.

For the Fairytale challenge (hosted by Mel @ The Daily Prophecy) I chose the Magic Mirror level (5-9 books) to keep things safe - and what a great decision that was! I managed to complete this challenge pretty early in the year, so it was one less thing to worry about.

I read 15 retellings altogether and I'm pretty happy with this. Let's see which ones I'd recommend. 

Recommended:

         


Not Recommended:

     

As for 2016, I'm planning on participating again, because there are still SO MANY retellings I'm dying to read.




The Re-Read Challenge (hosted by Belle of the Literati and So Obsessed With) was one of my favorite challenges this year because it encouraged me to reread more. I easily completed my goal of reading 10 to 20 books by rereading 45 books altogether. Unfortunately, around half of these novels don't count in my Goodreads challenge - that is why WE NEED A REREAD OPTION ON GOODREADS THAT WILL MAKE REREADS COUNT IN OUR CHALLENGES. WE DIDN'T NEED A NEW FONT, OR NEW COLORS BUT WE DO NEED THIS. 
Seriously. 

                                      
   

Check out my post about 


Another challenge that I managed to complete oh-so-easily is the Full House Reading Challenge (hosted by Book Date). This was the best bingo challenge I could find last year, and I really liked the categories. I went for the full house level and ACTUALLY MANAGED TO COMPLETE IT EASILY!!! I'm happy and disappointed about this - happy, because YAY, didn't have to work for it, and sad for the very same reason. I probably don't make much sense when I say this, but it is true. 

I probably won't be signing up for any bingo challenges in 2016. 

Here's the list of categories with the books I read for them:
(click on the titles for review) 


So, in the Back to the Classics Challenge (hosted by Books and Chocolate) my goal was to be able to cross out at least 6 from the 12 topics. Let's see that progress. 


1.  A 19th Century Classic:
2.  A 20th Century Classic: Carrie by Stephen King
3.  A Classic by a Woman Author: And Then These Were None by Agatha Christie
4.  A Classic in Translation: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
5.  A Very Long Classic Novel 
6.  A Classic Novella: The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allan Poe
7.  A Classic with a Person’s Name in the Title: Árvácska by Zsigmond Móricz
8.  A Humorous or Satirical Classic: Beszterce Ostroma by Kálmán Mikszáth  
9.  A Forgotten Classic  
10.  A Nonfiction Classic 
11.  A Classic Children’s Book  
12.  A Classic Play : Henrik Ibsen - A Doll's House


I DID IT!
I was convinced I failed this challenge, but the three novels I read for school helped me to complete it, so yay. :D
My progress is still pretty sad, though - let's admit, reading 7 classics a year is not that awesome.


I'm sad to say that we've arrived to shame-ville, lovelies. The last challenge - the Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge - is the one that I failed miserably. Let my list speak - 

Crossed: 10 from 26
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Bell Jar, The by Sylvia Plath
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge 
Darkest Part of the Forest, The by Holly Black
Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot 
Fairest by Marissa Meyer
Game by Barry Lyga
Heir, The by Kiera Cass
I Am Her Revenge by Meredith Moore
Joyride by Anna Banks
Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh
Little White Lies by Katie Dale
Madman's Daughter, The by Megan Shepherd
Night We Said Yes, The by Lauren Gibaldi
On the Fence by Kasie West
Program, The by Suzanne Collins
Queen, The by Kiera Cass 
Ruby Circle, The by Richelle Mead
Scorpio Races, The by Maggie Stiefvater
This Shattered World by Amy Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Uncross the Stars by Janell Rhiannon 
Vanishing Girls by Lauren Oliver
Winner's Crime, The by Marie Rutkoski
OnyX by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Young Elites, The by Marie Lu 
Zero Day by Jan Gangsei 

As you could see, I managed to read 10 from the 26 titles, which is quite sad, if you ask me. I guess I could have added books I've actually read to every letter now, but that would have felt like cheating when I'd shared this list with you in the beginning of the year. 

Anyhow, I'm not to bummed because I MANAGED TO COMPLETE 5 OF THE 6 CHALLENGES I PARTICIPATED IN!! 



Did you participate in any challenges in 2015? Were you able to complete them? 
And most importantly, what challenges will you participate in 2016? :)



9 comments:

  1. Actually, I don't believe you failed! You completed most of them and to be fair, it is okay if you didn't complete the A-Z challenge because you reread 45 books!!! Like, wow! The only challenge I managed to complete was my goodreads one, because I set myself for 80 books and I got to 111. So, yay meeee!! LOL
    And it is a shame that Goodreads doesn't count reread, however what I do to make them count is reviewing another cover of the same book and so, that way the reread counts. It's a pain in the ass but it's the only way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :D Congratulations - it's always such a wonderful feeling to do MUCH BETTER than you expected. :) I'm going to try that method in the future. :D

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on completing 5 challenges!! I'm only doing one this year (the Goodreads challenge) and I'm definitely not winning :P Anyway, it looks like you've had a really good year of reading! Here's to another year!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! Oh well, I hope you managed to get close to your goal AND I wish you tons of luck for your 2016 challenge(s), if you're participating in any. :)

      Delete
  3. omg challenges. okay, every year i sign up for a crapload of them and never do any of them because of my poor memory.

    you slayed your gr goal, though. i didn't even make it to 100, getting to like 95. next year, it will be a hundred i swear!!! but seriously, all the standing o's to you (:

    – Nova @ Out of Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kinda sounds like me in 2015 until around the middle of the year when I went crazy and arranged the books that I read to the challenges. :D
      Thanks. Wish you the best of luck for your 2016 challenge(s)!! :)

      Delete
  4. I think you did awesome! And 158 books in one year... wow! So impressed that you did so many re-reads since i *never* re-read. My TBR is so huge that I just never take the time to re-read.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! I love re-reading, especially when I'm in the bad mood, so I do take the time for it, even though my TBR is screaming "NO, DON'T" constantly haha. :D

      Delete
  5. Naw. You didn't fail. You did great! Congrats!
    And good luck on any challenges in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)