Thursday, November 12

Rick Yancey - The 5th Wave (The 5th The Wave #1)

“We’re here, and then we’re gone, and it’s not about the time we’re here, but what we do with the time.”


After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker.

Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.







The 5th Wave was highly one of my most anticipated hyped-books so I'm extremely sad to say that it ended up being a huge disappointment for me. My problems started when I found myself unable to get invested in the story. The first thing that bothered me was the way we got to know Cassie's family. I usually love learning about a character's past through her memories but in this case getting to know Cassie's family strictly through her memories did not help me get interested in their story. Moreover, I felt emotionally detached from these characters because while I did see how painful their lives had become, I did not feel it. And the fact that I already knew what was going to happen to them did not help me enjoy it any more. 

I couldn't relate to Cassie, the main character, one bit which is never a good thing. At first I kinda bought that she's this strong and smart girl but then she made stupid decisions - one after another - and failed to figure out the most obvious things


Minor spoilers ahead. 

Evan, for instance, is a perfect example of Cassie's stupidity. From the very first moment he appeared it was obvious that he was not exactly who he told himself to be. Cassie had this bad feeling about him but she buried these thoughts inside herself and acted as though the red flags that popped up around Evan from time to time were nothing. Do you think this is how a real survivor acts? Because I sure as hell don't. 
End of spoilers.

“I thought I knew what loneliness was before he found me, but I had no clue. You don't know what real loneliness is until you've known the opposite.”

I'm sure I'd die among the first people in an apocalypse so the fact that even I figured out things before Cassie made me unable to believe that she'd survive all on her own. I think Yancey's purpose with Cassie was to show that a completely normal teenager can do absolutely anything if she is ready to fight for it. I love this idea but I couldn't believe wholeheartedly that Cassie would be one of the few who survived.

“Cruelty isn't a personality trait. Cruelty is a habit.”

However much I'm complaining, of course, I didn't hate everything in The 5th Wave. Cassie's struggle to be strong and fierce while staying human and true to herself was written perfectly. Cassie's dedication towards her little brother was beautiful - she literally would have done anything in the whole wide world to get him back.

“When I cry - when I let myself cry - that's who I cry for. I don't cry for myself. I cry for the Cassie that's gone. 
And I wonder what that Cassie would think of me. 
The Cassie who kills.”

The plot wasn't anything special. Frankly, I expected an edge-of-your-seat story but I got a boring-ish one instead. There were two plotlines but I'm sad to say that I cared for Ben even less than for Cassie, which is to say something. Also, there were a bit too many coincidences for my taste. I'll still watch the movie, though, because I like Chloe Grace Moretz and I'm interested in seeing what they'll make of this story.

The 5th Wave was definitely not the exciting dystopian novel I was looking forward to, and it left me disappointed in more than one aspects. I couldn't connect to the characters and I don't have the desire to continue the series anytime soon (or ever). 

The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 2/5
The characters: 2/5
The cover: 4/5
Enjoy factor: 2/5


    

16 comments:

  1. It's such a shame you didn't enjoy this. I bought it when it first came out but I haven't read it since. Since I know that there's a film coming out I really want to read it. Such a shame that it didn't grip you than your expectations at the beginning. I still might give this one a try. Great honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly hope you'll enjoy it more than I did, Emma! It's not a bad book, but it was definitely not written for me. :D Thanks! <3

      Delete
  2. Back when I started blogging The 5th wave was a huge thing and I wanted to read it but it never happened and I think it never will. The problems you had, especially not connecting with the characters, are stuff a lot of readers mention alongside a kinda insta-lovey romance. YA has become such a hit or miss with me lately and the dystopia genre was always problematic for me so yeah, I'm not reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hype surrounding this series is CRAZY! I felt like I had to buy this novel after the sequel came out and EVERYONE was talking about how unique and amazing these books are. Tbh, the romance was the least of my concerns, but it definitely wasn't well-crafted. I hate to say this, but good decision.

      Delete
  3. I thought the same thing: it was a great idea but it just failed in the execution. I couldn't get behind Cassie as a 'survivor'. As I got to know her, I'm baffled she lived this long. Maybe the movie will be better. Great review!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope they'll portray Cassie's bravery and strength in the movie in a more believable way - although, from the trailer I'm not really sure.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you mentioned where the minor spoilers were because I hopped over that paragraph so fast lol! I'm really excited to read this for some reason. I haven't read much dystopian or apocalyptic titles this year, so I'm ready for a change, you know something new. I'm a little skeptical though, especially since it didn't turn out to be an on-the-edge-of-your-seat page turner, but we shall see how it goes for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I managed to not spoil it for you! I do think that one of the reasons this didn't work out for me was that I wasn't in a great mood and the translation was SO BAD, like unbelievably so. I hope you'll enjoy it more, especially considering that you haven't read much books from this genre this year. Excited to see your opinion. :)

      Delete
  5. Yeah, this was a 3 star for me as well. It was entertaining and I loved the concept and the action sequences, but it didn't really have the umph or the complexity to it that I wished it would have had. Sorry you felt a little underwhelmed by it as well, but I'm glad you still relatively enjoyed it all the same. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely have to agree with you - it was enjoyable, and a very creative story idea, but it wasn't executed well, especially the characters. Thanks, Zoe! <3

      Delete
  6. This is an awesome review! I was reading The 5th Wave, but I gave up halfway through, for all these reasons you've talked about here. For a story that's all about survival, and being alert, it was too slow-paced, it was driving me crazy! I still want to finish it before the movie comes out, and I have the feeling I will enjoy that movie much more than the book, which is sad :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pamela! My thoughts exactly - Cassie was fighting for survival basically every minute, yet the novel was so very slow-paces! Hope you'll be able to finish it and that the movie will be as good as we expect. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm sad you didn't enjoy this read but kind of happy I'm not the only one who disliked The Fifth Wave, haha. I gave up about 100 pages in, I think, and it sounds like I didn't miss much. So many people love it but meh. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to know that you're not the odd one out when EVERYONE seems to love a certain novel haha. You definitely didn't miss much... in some aspects it has gotten worse, actually. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. This is a book I have been putting off for the longest time because I just have this gut feeling that I won't enjoy it, no matter how much everyone else seems to! So I'm actually kinda glad to see that you didn't love it, because that reinforces my feeling about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think that if you feel like it's not for you, you shouldn't bother with it - I felt the exact same way and look how that turned out.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)