Thursday, November 19

John Grisham - Kid Lawyer (Theodore Boone #1)


A perfect murder, a faceless witness, a lone courtroom champion knows the whole truth . . . and he’s only thirteen years old. Meet Theodore Boone.

In the small city of Strattenburg, there are many lawyers, and though he’s only thirteen years old, Theo Boone thinks he’s one of them. Theo knows every judge, policeman, court clerk—and a lot about the law. He dreams of being a great trial lawyer, of a life in the courtroom.

But Theo finds himself in court much sooner than expected. Because he knows so much—maybe too much—he is suddenly dragged into the middle of a sensational murder trial. A cold-blooded killer is about to go free, and only Theo knows the truth.

The stakes are high, but Theo won’t stop until justice is served.





Being an ardent fan of John Grisham’s other books, I have to say was quite skeptical about this one to start with. A thirteen year-old obsessed with law? I certainly don’t remember being all that interested in spending my time sitting through a courtroom trial when I was a kid, and I'm sure nor would anyone else. However I decided to give this book a fair chance because John Grisham never once disappointed me in his books.

The story idea of Theodore getting mixed in a huge murder trial is quite interesting, with all the necessary elements of mystery and suspense. His parents themselves being lawyers would explain Theo’s interest in law. What doesn’t work for this book though, is the TOTALLY unrealistic fixation this kid has on law. While this book certainly goes along the lines of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, the author makes it only too clear for us that he knows next to nothing about thirteen year-olds these days.

 

The lessons on courtroom and law proceedings, though interesting enough, made me think the author would have done a much better job if he dropped Theo Boone altogether. It was the protagonist that made the story such a drag. I positively didn’t relate to the character at all. His way of thinking, the very short sentences he uses and the egotistical attitude all add up to make him very unlikable indeed.


Since this book is targeted for the YA audience, I think the author needs to pay more attention to such elements as expected in the genre, or better still, stick to adult books! Not to be completely discouraging, if you’re still interested in reading this book for its mystery, or if you’re a fan of Grisham’s other books as I am, go ahead with it. Just don’t expect a satisfying ending because, yeah, the book wouldn’t give you one.

The story idea: 3/5
The realization of the story: 2/5
The characters: 2/5
The cover: 2/5
Enjoy factor: 2/5

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything by John Grisham in years. And this makes me think that's probably for he best. Ha! And if I do feel like a courtroom/crime thriller any time soon, it won't be this one! Sorry this was such a miss, Ruzaika!

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't read Grisham recently or you feel like a crime thriller, this book is definitely not one to pick up! I'm sorry this book didn't work for me either- I was really looking forward to see how the author would handle YA :(

      Delete
  2. I see Grishman's books everywhere but I've never read once. I like mystery thrillers here and there but they aren't a genre I go for in general. I'm sorry you didn't like this especially since the author has never disappointed you. That is not a feeling most readers wanna experience. Hope your next read turns out better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try Grisham is you ever feel like reading a good mystery thriller, Noelia! A Time to Kill or the Rainmaker would be a great place to start- and of course, it goes without saying that you should steer clear away from Theodore Boone :D

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)