Saturday, November 14

Holly Martin - Fairytale Beginnings


Love is an open door…except when it keeps slamming in your face.

Hopeless romantic Milly Rose has had her fair share of heartbreak. Obsessed with all things Disney, she refuses to give up on finding her Prince Charming – he’s out there somewhere, isn’t he?

When Milly is given a job to investigate the origins of an historical building in the village of Clovers Rest, she’s not sure what to expect. What she discovers takes her breath away - a beautiful real life Cinderella castle, complete with turrets, a magnificent drawbridge AND a very handsome owner…Cameron Heartstone.

As Milly and Cameron begin to unearth the secrets of Clover Castle, they can’t ignore the intense chemistry building between them. But they’ve both been hurt badly before. Can they take a big leap of faith and find their own happily-ever-after?   

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25610813-fairytale-beginnings


Dear author,

A Disney-obsessed MC, a real life Cinderella castle, AND a very handsome owner. You had this awesome story in your hands that you could have made into this magical, entrancing book, but you instead went for this crass excuse of a novel instead. WHY?! That really pisses me off. It actually makes me want to tear my hair off my head. How could you so ruthlessly murder such a beautiful story? How could you?! I was really frustrated seeing all this potential go waste. So yeah. I did not like how the story was executed. To be honest, I hated the characters. Why couldn't you do this story justice?

I wanted to love this book so badly. I truly wanted to, yet unfortunately, I didn't. The storyline had such potential but it all went waste. I suppose it's primarily because of the main character Milly, who seemed like a proper grown up at one moment and then seemed to change her mind halfway and went on to be an annoying child. Even though there were moments where I found myself laughing out loud, they sadly did not suffice to carry the story

I just.. I can't understand why you had that frustrating way of dealing out those moments of positively crass humor. I don't know whether it was just me, but all those manly parts that were described as wonky had me wrinkling my nose in distaste (in case you're wondering, the said jokes were not just about our hero's said parts- spare me the torture of having to explain it to you, please). The book started out so well, but I had to draw the line when the "hero" though it was okay to be outright rude to the main character and call her names. All those revelations about his past (and Milly's, for that matter) did nothing to redeem this excruciatingly cringe-worthy novel. You should have perhaps spent more time on working out these major problems in your "heartwarming romantic comedy."

Yours truly miffed,
Ruzaika.

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 2/5
The characters: 1/5
The cover: 4/5
Enjoy factor: 1/5

10 comments:

  1. When I looked at the cover it screamed to me: CHEESYYYYYYYYYY and so it's a major no-no for me. What I couldn't have expected was a crass novel :S and it looks like 2 stars are too generous in my opinion. If I read a book with that kind of humour, I would either DNF it or simply give it 1 star or 0 for that matter. Sorry you had to go through this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is so cute ugh *incoherent grumbling* I was debating over rating it 1 star, TBH, but the story idea was just so full of POTENTIAL, and it started off pretty good. It's only when the very, erm, unpleasant things kicked in that I started feeling furious towards the author. So yeah, I ended up giving it a very reluctant stars 2 *shrugs*

      Delete
  2. Aw, I'm sad this didn't work out for you. Nothing worse than reading a book that just makes you feel, blah, right? D: It doesn't look like my kind of book anyway so I wouldn't be running after it. :P
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you that you wouldn't be running after this disappointing excuse of a romantic comedy. I soo wish it could have been better.
      Must have been Vera that stopped by lately at Paper Fury :)) Thanks for stopping by here anyway, Cait xx

      Delete
  3. So sorry it wasn't better, Ruzaika. It looked and sounded so cute that I thought that it might be something for me. But reading your review...ugh. I don't handle crass humor well - or, really crassness at all - and I absolutely HATE 'heroes' that think it's a good idea to be mean to their love interest. And calling them names is just a major no-no for me. Once again, sorry it didn't turn out better, but I am awfully grateful that you warned me away from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it wasn't better too >.< This book just further proved that looks can be oh-so-extremely deceiving. Glad I was able to warn you away from it, Amy. Hopefully you'll do the same for me one day :D

      Delete
  4. Oh no, what a total letdown. The synopsis seemed to promise such great things... and then to have unlikable characters and crass humor and a male MC who acts like a jerk? Nope, nope, nope. Sorry this was such a disappointment, Ruzaika.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serves me right for letting looks deceive me is all I can say. Looking on the brighter side of things, at least I got to ward all you guys off this horror of a book! :D

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you didn't like the book! The premise sounds good, but I think that I will have to pass on this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry this book turned out to be such a disappointment too! Clearly just a good plot is NOT enough for a book. Ugh. Thanks! :))

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)