Wednesday, November 4

{Author Interview} - Meeting Lisa Becker, Author of Clutch: A Novel

Hello all you beautiful readers of The Regal Critiques! In my first ever author interview, I take great pleasure in introducing you to Lisa W. Becker. I came up with quite a few questions for this lovely, lovely author who is currently basking in the glowing praises for her latest book, clutch: a novel. *rubs hands together nervously* So, what are we waiting for? Let's start this!

1. This is my first time reading one of your novels, but I understand you’ve been writing for quite some time now. Could you tell us more about yourself?

I’m fortunate to have had a series of wonderful careers outside of writing including being a wife, mom, PR professional, college professor and community volunteer.   Clutch: a novel is my 4th book.  The book actually started out as a screenplay that was optioned by a production company housed at one of the major movie studios summer 2014.  Unfortunately, it fell out of development.  I was eager to have this fun story with some of my favorite characters told, so I turned it into a short novel earlier this year.

2. I love the title for your new book, Clutch! So on to an inevitable question- what inspired you to write it?

When I was writing the Click Trilogy (Click: An Online Love Story, Double Click, Right Click), I was obsessed with NCIS reruns and would have the show on in the background as I wrote.  There was an episode when one of the characters mentioned that men were like purses – something useless to hang on a woman’s arm.  I started thinking about how men are like handbags and the idea grew from there.  

3. This book is being touted as a laugh-out-loud, chick lit romance. Who, would you say, is your favorite among authors in this genre?

Among chick lit writers, I’m a big fan of the writing duo of Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke.  I really enjoyed their novel, Your Perfect Life and am about to start their latest, The Status of All Things.

4. I understand Clutch is a light-hearted chick-lit. Which book would you recommend to anyone who enjoys your novel?

If you enjoy clutch: a novel please consider reading my other books – the Click Trilogy.  The first in the series is about a woman who tries online dating and the entire novel is told as a series of emails between her and her friends and the hilarious dates she goes on.  It was loosely inspired by how I met my husband online more than 15 years ago.  The book was well received and ended up becoming a trilogy as we continue to learn about the lives and loves of this crazy group of friends. 

5. If you could describe three people in your life the way your main character, Caroline, does, how would you describe them? 

I’m lucky to have people in my life similar to Caroline.  I have a version of Mike in my husband – someone who cares deeply for me and makes me laugh every day.  I have a wonderful role model and advice giver in my dad.  And I have terrific group of supportive and fun friends including my dear pal Tracey who inspires me to write.  

6. Writing can be an extremely tedious process- what was the hardest part of writing this novel, and the easiest?


The hardest part of writing this novel was taking the screenplay, which was obviously very dialogue heavy, and turning into a more traditional narrative.  The easiest part was writing the first draft of the screenplay.  Once I had the germ of the idea in my head, the ideas and humor just started to flow.  

7. Having your book published and out there for the world to read sounds like such a daunting task. How do you feel after you publish a book, and how do you treat yourself? 

Publishing a book, to me, is a lot like having a baby.  You develop and nurture it over a long period of time and then it’s out there for the world to see and you worry that maybe, just maybe, your baby’s ugly.  Waiting for people to give you their honest opinion is the hardest and most stressful part.  

8. Is there any particular message that you want to convey through your book? Tell us in a few words, if so!


CLUTCH HAPPINESS!


9. This is quite a competitive world- especially in the bookish community! Do you have any advice for aspiring writers out there?

With my first series, I explored the traditional publishing route and got feedback from multiple literary agents. One in particular explained the current economic state of the publishing industry to me. Due to the large investment to edit, produce, distribute and market a work by an unknown author, many large publishers won’t take the risk. Self-publishing is a way to get your work out there and was very easy.  The hardest part is marketing the book and spreading the word about it.  So, I’m especially appreciative to blogs like yours for helping me with that process.   

10.  What are your plans for the future? Anything we could look forward to in the horizon?

In addition to promoting the new book, I’m looking into making connections within the motion picture industry to try and get a movie version made.  I’m eager to see if there’s interest from someone else on bringing this fun and quirky story to the big screen.  So if you happen to be a well-to-do movie producer looking to make a new romantic comedy, please get in touch!

11.  How can our lovely readers connect with you?

Lisa’s Books: Click: An Online Love Story, Double Click, Right Click and clutch: a novel

Find Lisa: Facebook | Twitter  | Pinterest  | Web  | YouTube

About Lisa Becker

In addition to her new book, clutch: a novel, Lisa Becker is the author of the Click Trilogy, a contemporary romance series comprised of Click: An Online Love Story, Double Click and Right Click.  She’s written bylined articles about dating and relationships for “Cupid’s Pulse,” “The Perfect Soulmate,” “GalTime,” “Single Edition,” “Healthy B Daily” and “Chick Lit Central” among others.  She lives in Manhattan Beach, California with her husband and two daughters.  To learn more, visit  www.lisawbecker.com 


About clutch: a novel

Clutch is the laugh-out-loud, chick lit story that chronicles the dating misadventures of Caroline Johnson, a single purse designer, who goes through a series of unsuccessful romantic relationships she compares to various styles of handbags – the “Hobo” starving artist, the “Diaper Bag” single dad, the “Briefcase” intense businessman, etc.  With her best friend, bar owner Mike by her side, the overly-accommodating Caroline drinks Chardonnay, puts her heart on the line, endures her share of unworthy suitors and finds the courage to stand up for the handbag style that embodies what she ultimately wants – the “Clutch” or someone to hold onto. 


3 comments:

  1. Great questions Ruzi. You did well with your first interview :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roberta! I feel quite proud of myself haha. Hope you enjoyed meeting Lisa Becker :)

      Delete
  2. Looking for the Ultimate Dating Site? Join and find your perfect match.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)