Monday, November 23

2015 Anti Bullying Readathon Recap + Recommendations


Hello sweeties! In the last week I've been *quietly* participating in the Anti Bullying Readathon, (hosted by Sarah Churchill) and I had SO MUCH FUN WITH IT. I didn't only manage to read a couple of anti bullying novels from my tbr, but also found quite a few new titles that I'd gladly read any day. The only reason I haven't been updating you about this is that - as per usual - I heard about this readathon in the last possible moment, and I was in a rush to get as much reading done as I could. However, I still wanted to share with you my progress AND my favorite anti bullying reads - I'll consider it a plus if I manage to convince you to participate next year. :)

I managed to finish 2 books, DNFed one, and I'm around halfway through with the Butter- still, I'd call this decent enough progress considering that it was a school week and I "lost" a lot of reading time celebrating my birthday this weekend, as well. 


Novels I've read for the Anti Bullying Readathon:
Want to see a detailed review to any of them? Mention it in the comments!

   
Click on the pictures for Goodreads.

None of the Above is about Kristin, who, after an unsuccessful night with her boyfriend, discovers that she was born intersex. If that wasn't enough, her diagnosis gets leaked to the whole school and most of her schoolmates start bullying her. This was a powerful, important and very informative book, but I had some issues with it that might force me to lower my rating to three stars. But as of now: 4/5

Picking Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda as my second read was a HUGE mistake... but only because it was SO GOOD THAT NO OTHER BOOK COULD LIVE UP TO IT! Simon was such a refreshingly cute, yet truly realistic character, surrounded by equally amazing supporting characters. I honestly could not pinpoint any faults in this book - it was just that perfect! Definitely 5/5

I found Leila Sales' Tonight the Streets Are Ours quite good, so I had HUGE hopes for This Song Will Save Your Life. Unfortunately, however much I hate DNF-ing, I had to give up on this novel around halfway through because Elise was the most annoying, judgemental snob ever. OF COURSE, I felt for her deeply because of the way people treated her, yet I could not like her, or any of the supporting characters for that matter. 

Butter's about 'Butter', an obese 16-year-old boy, who, due to the horrible way people treat him, decides to eat himself to death, and invites everyone to watch online. Now if that doesn't sound like an interesting premise, I'm not sure what does. So far the book has been really good - if a tad bit unrealistic and gross at times - so I'm looking forward to the rest. 


Now, onto my recommendations!

Again, click on the covers for Goodreads.
   
    
   


My favorite books on this list are: Wonder, Tease, Before I Fall, The Truth About Alice and A Monster Calls. However, with the exception of 99 Days every single novel on my list received 4 or 5 stars, which shows how thoroughly I enjoyed them. Even though I rated 99 Days two stars, I think it has a place on this list because the author managed to cover important issues and raised equally important questions.

What are YOUR favorite anti bullying reads? Can't wait to see your recs! Share with me your opinion on my picks in the comments. :)

10 comments:

  1. Loved Wonder and Before I Fall! They were both so powerful and unique as well. Literally everyone has given nothing but great reviews about Simon vs. the Homosapiens Agenda, I must read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they were! Ooh, you just HAVE TO pick up Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda! It was fun, cuteness and emotions mixed together, which added up to one of the best books I've ever read!

      Delete
  2. I intended to participate in the readathon but I didn't have any time though I love the idea for sure. Wonder is just a fantastic read and everybody should read it and A Monster Calls was equally amazing. I can't wait for the movie - the teaser trailer looks quite good so fingers crossed.
    None of the Above is one I've seen a few booktubers talked about and it has quite a great premise; maybe someday I will read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, maybe next year? I totally agree with you - both of these books are completely unique and utterly beautiful - definitely NOT only for middle graders! I had no idea a teaser was released, so thanks for the heads up! I checked it out and woah, it's FANTASTIC! So much better than I expected.
      Hope you'll enjoy it, if you ever get around reading it!

      Delete
  3. What a great event! I really liked 99 Days and thought it did a great job portraying bullying and the double standard in sexuality for men and women. I really want to read Duff, Tease, and Simon too! :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too - only I thought that the author could have done a better job with the characters. Hope you'll enjoy these three books, especially Tease and Simon are BRILLIANT.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of an anti-bullying readathon! If it's happening again, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
    Butter sounds kinda terrifying! I'll have to check it out.
    I loved both Wonder and A Monster Calls, but I haven't actually read any of the other books in this post, so I'll have to get onto that.
    Happy Birthday for the weekend by the way! Hope you had an awesome time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was it's second time, and I'm pretty sure it's going to happen the next year too! Butter was truly good, not THAT terrifying but a tad bit unrealistic.
      Ooh, there are definitely some spectacular ones here (esp. Simon, Tease, Before I Fall), so you totally should do that!
      Thanks! I sure did. :)

      Delete
  5. I don't think that I have read and reviewed enough books about anti-bulling, so now I have some great books to choose from! I don't know if this counts as an anti-bulling novel, but I really enjoyed Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll find some great ones between my recs (DEFINITELY don't forget to read Simon)!! Ooh, I haven't read that one, but it's on my tbr. Thank you! :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)