Sunday, October 25

Kate Kae Myers - The Vanishing Game

“Life is a series of shallow breaths. And in any breath, everything can change.” 

Seventeen-year-old Jocelyn follows clues apparently from her dead twin, Jack, in and around Seale House, the terrifying foster home where they once lived. With help from childhood friend Noah she begins to uncover the truth about Jack's death and the company that employed him and Noah.

Jocelyn's twin brother Jack was the only family she had growing up in a world of foster homes-and now he's dead, and she has nothing. Then she gets a cryptic letter from "Jason December"-the code name her brother used to use when they were children at Seale House, a terrifying foster home that they believed had dark powers. Only one other person knows about Jason December: Noah, Jocelyn's childhood crush and their only real friend among the troubled children at Seale House.

But when Jocelyn returns to Seale House and the city where she last saw Noah, she gets more than she bargained for. Turns out the house's powers weren't just a figment of a childish imagination. And someone is following Jocelyn. Is Jack still alive? And if he is, what kind of trouble is he in? The answer is revealed in a shocking twist that turns this story on its head and will send readers straight back to page 1 to read the book in a whole new light.

Jocelyn is still mourning her brother's untimely death in a car accident when she receives a letter signed by Jason December- an alias her brother used when they played treasure hunts in their childhood. But her brother is dead- isn't he? Hanging on to the slim hope that her brother is alive and well somewhere, Jocelyn embarks on a scavenger hunt along with Noah-their childhood best friend- led by clues Jack, her brother, has left for her. What follows is a really mind-boggling read with a truly baffling plot. I don't want to talk much about the plot for fear of spoiling the story for you, so let me list out what I loved about this completely engrossing novel:
  • This book had me hooked from page one. I couldn't predict a single thing about it, the mystery was so mysterious! My wanting to know what exactly was going on had me rushing through the book, and the chills that went down my spine time to time helped a lot too!
  • This is a plot-driven book. The plot was perfect- the clues set by Jack for the scavenger hunt were amazingly creative. I had fun trying to solve them along with Jocelyn and Noah- but of course I couldn't.
  • I wasn't sure if it was some paranormal element at play or just ghosts, but the creepy aspects of the book were done well. There were quite a bit of scary parts towards the end of the book that I loved. 
  • Even though I didn't care much for the characters at the start, I ended up loving Jocelyn and Noah- they've both been through hell and back, but they were both really brave in the face of all the trouble they went through. They were not just strong- they had their weak moments too, because they are, after all, simply human. 
  • I loved uncovering Jocelyn's past. The trail of clues were centered mostly around Seale House- the one place where Jocelyn vowed never to return. We got to know a lot about Jocelyn and even Noah, especially towards the end, when we get to see how it all fits to make the bigger picture.

  • Seale House deserves a mention here because it was downright creepy and dark. At times it even felt like the house was alive! Perfect atmosphere and decidedly spine-chilling. 
  • This book is  page turner (I'm sure I've said this already, but)- there were so many surprises and twists that I never saw coming. There's never a dull moment- how could there be, with strangling, biting, fighting, gunshots and bombs?
  • The ending- I loved the ending! The last 30% of the book was simply the best. Even if you don't feel connected to the story at the start, hang on for the ending- you won't regret it! It was really unexpected and I totally didn't see it coming. It was the kind of ending that really made me sit and think about it for a while. 
Despite all these, there were a few things that did not sit well with me in this book. First and foremost is the romance. Considering the nature of this book, the romance stuck out like a sore thumb. It could have been done in a better way, I suppose, but it just ended up feeling like the author incorporated the romance into the story just for the sake of it. 

The writing felt unpolished at times too, but thankfully it didn't spoil the story for me in any way. I also had a little problem buying the story because even though the scavenger hunt and the twists were the highlights of the story, they did seem a bit  far-fetched. I'm not complaining- I still loved it all!


The Vanishing Game was a dark and creepy psychological thriller of sorts- and that's always fun! I had no idea I'd grow to love it so much, but I did, and I hope you will too.


The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 4/5
The characters: 3/5
The cover: 3/5
Enjoy factor: 4/5
      

Psst..!! Wait- not so fast!  We have a surprise segment for you. Over to you, Vera!

Hi everyone! For this cover I wanted a mostly black outfit that contains one item that's at least partly green, thus the plaid blazer. I thought that the parts in the middle where the black and green mix together resembled lace, so I wanted to add a lace dress, but found that a bit too much so I simply added these lace stockings. 

Bookstopper Outfits: The Vanishing Game


Comment on this review and gain two more entries in our 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds so good! I like the fact that you're not able to predict everything and there were so many twists. I'll be looking for this one.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is good- I hope you do get to read this, Tanya. The twists were so unpredictable, I never saw them coming!! :))

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)