Saturday, September 26

{Reaction Review} Colleen Hoover - Point of Retreat (Slammed #2)

“Sometimes things happen in life that you didn’t plan for. All you can do is suck it up and start mapping out a new plan.”


Hardships and heartache brought them together… now it will tear them apart.

Layken and Will have proved their love can get them through anything; until someone from Will’s past re-emerges, leaving Layken questioning the very foundation on which their relationship was built. Will is forced to face the ultimate challenge…how to prove his love for a girl who refuses to stop ‘carving pumpkins.’













This reaction review contains my thoughts and questions while reading the novel. At most stops I included quotes as well to make sure you know what exactly I'm referring to. 
I made a summary in every 20% of the novel to have the chance to mention a few things that I haven't before and also to sum up my thoughts thus far. 

1% We’re off to a sad start but one that actually shows Will is able to value the great things in his life, even though he remembers clearly of the people he lost. I like that.

„I miss my mother. And I miss Julia. Thank God I have Lake.”


3% They're all eating together, including Eddie and Gavin. New character alert. Kiersten, a new neighbour who is also Kel's crush. So cute. She sounds weird in a funny way. 

“I’m eleven. I’ve been eleven since eleven-eleven-eleven. It was a pretty big day, you know. Not many people can say they turned eleven on eleven-eleven-eleven. I’m a little bummed I was born at three o’clock in the afternoon, though. If I would have been born at 11:11, I’m pretty sure I could have got on the news or something. I could have recorded the segment and used it someday for my portfolio. I’m gonna be an actress when I grow up.”

8% Apparently Lake and Will made a promise to Julia (Lake’s mom) not to have sex for a year and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Julia thought that Lake is capable of taking care of a 10-year-old but she didn't think she's capable of deciding when she's ready to lose her virginity? What kind of bullshit is that?

10% Aww, Julia left one last present for Lake AND Will! The present is inspirational quotes and advices folded into 3D paper stars so they sort of have someone somewhere to turn to when they have problems. She's kind of forgiven for the 'no sex' thing.

15% Oh god, here comes Vaughn, Will’s bitchy ex! And she doesn’t sound like she’s over him.


"By the end of my last class, I’ve successfully convinced myself that Lake doesn’t need to know."
Worst. Idea. Ever.

19% Could these kids be any cuter?

 “You’ve been crushing on Kiersten since the day she moved in. Why haven’t you asked her to be your girlfriend?” 

Kel blushes and tries to hide his smile. He reminds me of Lake when he does this. 
“I already asked her. She is my girlfriend,” he says.


First summary: It might just be me but the characters sound a bit more immature than they were in Slammed, especially Will. I don’t think he sounds like a 23 year old male, he sounds younger and it's kind of obvious that a female wrote this.  I’m not a 100% sure I like how Lake’s sexuality is treated. I feel as though both her mother and Will act(ed) as though she can't make this decision for herself which mortifies me.

25% “Gavin, are you questioning our parenting skills?”
He better be! Okay, so Will and Lake privately laughing at the death threat the boys sent to a bully is one thing because they planned to punish them afterwards. But they do suck at punishment. Grounding someone in their translation means that they can still hang out together, have visitors and do as they wish until they stay in the house. So basically Kel and Caulder could do everything they normally do without having to go to school. Can someone ground me?

30% “After your graduation when we all went out to eat, you could barely talk you were kissing me so much. It was making your grandmother really uncomfortable.”
Jeez, I wonder why would that be uncomfortable for his grandmother… But the fact that she would hate Lake for this makes me angry so I kinda hate her already. 

32% “Grandpa, do you remember the game we played last time you were here?”
My grandfather nods. “You mean the one where I killed twenty-six enemy soldiers?”
“Yeah, that one. Kel got the newest one for his birthday. You want to play it with us?”
“You bet I do!” he says, following Caulder to his bedroom.

The grandfather is all kinds of cool. Hopefully his wife is not that different either.

33% “Vaughn, we haven’t seen you in years,” my grandmother says. “Stay for dinner, it’s almost ready. I’ll make you a plate.”
If I’m following this right the grandmother strongly dislikes Lake because she thinks Will and Lake are “too much in love”. But when Vaughn – the girl who left Will at a time when he needed her support the most - comes to the house totally uninvited she’s happy to see her. That makes so much sense.

34% Uh-huh shit just hit the fan. And also:
“Will, I’m really sorry,” Vaughn says from behind me. “Really, I didn’t mean to cause problems.”
I go to my ex’s house and try to convince him that he doesn’t love his new girlfriend but feels sorry for her. I also mention that he should get back together with me. – That is what I do on a day when I don't want to cause trouble. I’m going to cut a bitch. Well, two if we count the grandmother.

37% Will apparently doesn’t know what giving a little distance means. He clearly won’t even give a day to Lake to gather her thoughts and decide what she wants. Nice one, Travis.

43% “We don’t have a plan. The same plan, anyway. Eddie wants to keep it. It scares the shit out of me, Will. We're only nineteen. We’re not prepared for this at all. ”
It turns out Eddie is pregnant and this awfully sounds like Gavin wants to decide what to do with the baby instead of letting Eddie make the decision. 
This book is becoming worse and worse.

Second summary: Kiersten’s mum, a particularly stranger woman is handing out her homemade pills left and right and no one even questions what’s in them. Does this only bother me? Also, Will actually drinks fucking tequila like two hours after taking the pills. Remember, these are the same pills he was warned not to drive after taking.


44% Will is keeping the gift from Lake’s deceased mother as a “hostage”. Is there lower than this?

48% Apparently there is. 
“I decide the best way to disable her jeep is to disconnect the battery.”
First Beautiful Disaster, now Twilight. Will, have you been taking advice from our favorite heroes?

48% “I’m just offering you a ride. We both need to go to Detroit anyway. It’s ridiculous to get Eddie involved just because you don’t want to talk to me right now.” I use the authoritative tone I’ve perfected on her. It usually works.”
Uh-huh, Christian, back the fuck off with manipulation. 


49% “I remove my jacket and head to the laundry room without offering to take Lake’s. I smile when I hear her stomping angrily after me. Being the nice guy has obviously not helped my case at all, so I guess I’ll just start being the jerk.”
I’m so proud of Will, he seems to find the best solutions. Lying, controlling, manipulating and finally being an asshole. Aww, can I have him already?

53% “Promise me you'll hear me out without arguing first," she says. "I'd like to have a mature conversation with you."

That's gonna be hard because neither one of you is particularly mature. 

57% “As soon as I say it, the reality of the moment hits me. I'm sitting here praising eleven-year-olds for stealing and lying to my girlfriend. What kind of role model am I?”


58% Kiersten is my hero in this story, seriously.
"Anyway, I think you should quit feeling sorry for yourself. You're acting like a little bitch. You aren't even the one pregnant, Gavin. How do you think Eddie feels? I'm sorry, but as much as the guy likes to think he's got an equal part in these kinds of situations, he's wrong. You screwed up when you got her knocked up in the first place. Now you need to shut your mouth and be there for her. For whatever she decides to do."

59% Finally, Will gave me a glimpse of the guy I liked in Slammed when he offered to be Kel’s “dad” as well on Dad day.

Third summary: I think I’m being a bit overly critical but isn’t it strange that Will always draws the quotes that perfectly apply to his current situation? Reece turned out to be an asshole; honestly, I don’t even know why he was in the story to begin with. But again I see no point for this book to exist so... 

62% I don’t think Will performing a slam for Lake will make her believe he loves her. This whole plan could go wrong on so many levels.

66% I was totally wrong! It actually worked out awesomely. We still have way too much time so I’m expecting more drama. 


67% OH MY GOD THIS IS WORSE THAN I THOUGHT! WHAT KIND OF MEAN PERSON WOULD WRITE SUCH A THING? AN ACCIDENT? A FUCKING ACCIDENT?
Deep breaths.
Why do I have the feeling that Eddie loses the baby?

72% Lake can’t die, right? RIGHT? I’m sorry I was so mean to the characters just don’t let her die.

76% WHY DID YOU WRITE THIS BOOK COLLEEN HOOVER? I take back what I said earlier, I want the unnecessary drama MUCH MORE than Lake dying.


76% The relationship between these characters is so beautiful.  
As soon as we make eye contact, he starts crying. I lean over and wrap my arms around him and put his head against my chest. 
“You aren’t going anywhere, Kel. We’re in this together. You and me.” I pull back and look him in the eyes. “I mean it. No matter what happens…”



79% Okay, we got hopeful news but there’s still a risk. The funny thing is that I know Lake can’t die because I read the summary of the sequel. I guess what makes Colleen Hoover so great in what she does is that she can make you forget about anything but her story. Even if that ‘anything’ is that you know the end.

Fourth summary: After 60% of the book things really picked up. Everything that happened broke my heart but I’m pretty sure it’s going to be put back together again. And at least finally something happened, instead of additional drama (not that I think this was important for the story but whatever). Also, Gavin finally got to his senses and now is excited to be a dad, yay!

82% Lake is going to be okay! 


82% “You did a great job,” she (Sherry) says quietly. “I know it was hard calling me about Kiersten. And taking care of the boys during all of this. How you’ve handled everything with Layken. You’re too young to have so much responsibility, but you’re doing a good job. I hope you know that. Your mom and dad would be proud.”



86% I have two words about Kiersten: children goals.

“Right when we were about to be hit by that truck….all I could think about was how I was about to die and I’ve never tasted meat before. That was my only regret in life.”

89% What Will did on Dad Day was pretty awesome, I have to give him that.

91% Kiersten’s slam is literally EVERYTHING!



92% Caulder’s slam WAS SO GOOD TOO! I’m an emotional mess. These kids are serious children goals.


98% The wedding. I’m underwhelmed but if this is what makes them happy, alright.

100% I’m so confused. I started this book hopeful because I read in many reviews that it's so much better than Slammed. After a while I just accepted that this is going to be a one star read for me, two at the most. But now... as I think back to the emotional roller coaster I've been on for the last couple of hours I feel like I have to give it three stars. Even though (I think) it was a pointless addition to the story it made me feel so many things and the ending warmed my heart. This makeshift family these characters have is the most beautiful thing ever. No kidding. 

The story idea: 2/5
The realization of the story: 4/5
The characters: 3/5
The cover: 3/5
Enjoy factor: 3/5

    

2 comments:

  1. I like this kind of review if you don't mind getting spoiled and I certainly didn't mind at all LOL I read Slammed and didn't particularly like it (gave it 2 stars) and after your review, nope, I will not pick up the sequel. Not because I know now what happens but because I don't have the patience for the two main characters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super-glad you enjoyed my review, Noelia! :) Yeah, unfortunately they didn't mature AT ALL, which is strange, considering Julia's death and everything else. Anyhow, wise choice not to read the sequels. I, on the other hand, seem to be a masochist because I read the third book too. Ugh, it was the worst from the three.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)