Saturday, September 12

Agatha Christie - And Then There Were None

“Crime is terribly revealing. Try and vary your methods as you will, your tastes, your habits, your attitude of mind, and your soul is revealed by your actions.”


First, there were ten - a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a private island off the coast of Devon. Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to all of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they're unwilling to reveal - and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder. One by one they fall prey. Before the weekend is out, there will be none. And only the dead are above suspicion.











I have no idea what to write about this book but at the same time I have so much to say about it. I feel like my opinion won't be popular, even though my rating is quite positive. Without exaggeration And Then There Were None was one of my most awaited books on my TBR shelf for 2015. I heard nothing but awesome things about it so my expectations were super-high, and I think these expectations were the very thing that ruined this reading experience for me. 

The book starts off with introducing ten people to us, all of them in just a few paragraphs. I'm not gifted with the best memory so it was hard for me to remember who was who by so little information. This made me confused and frustrated as hell. Frustrated because prior to reading I was a 100% sure I'd enjoy And Then There Were None, and I felt like the worst person when I couldn't get into it easily. I mean, everyone else loves it, so why can't I?


“There was something magical about an island—the mere word suggested fantasy. You lost touch with the world—an island was a world of its own. A world, perhaps, from which you might never return.”

Thankfully, things got better sooner rather than later. People started to die and the remaining ones started to investigate and think. I loved how they acted all friendly and normal in one moment, and got extremely paranoid and afraid in the next. The mystery was brilliantly executed, but what else did I expect from Agatha Christie? Throughout the novel I suspected one of them in particular most of the time, though nearly everyone was suspicious in one moment or other. I don't think I have to tell you that I was completely wrong. The final revelation caught me by total surprise. The person I have never suspected was the person whose reasons made the most sense when they were explained.

Despite my love for the mystery the characters were definitely my favorite part of the novel. We barely knew anything about them besides the crime they committed and the way they felt about it. Their remorse, or lack of it, told us everything we needed to know about them for this story.

As you can see from my review I can't really point out anything that would make And Then There Were None a less than five stars rated novel. But I'm still giving it four stars because I was expecting something more, a more exciting, edge of your seat mystery, which this book was not, not to me at least. I'd still recommend it to anyone who enjoys mystery in general and I'll surely read more books by Agatha Christie in the close future. 

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 4/5
The characters: 4.5/5
The cover: 3/5
Enjoy factor: 4/5


      

6 comments:

  1. loved this book when i read it a few years back. firmly cemented agatha christie as one of my favourite authors ever! i loved how she's able to bring such suspense and mystery without resorting to the gory or the gritty. that's something i've always admired about her books. if you haven't already, i'd suggest some of the hercules poirot books she wrote! i think they're among my favourites of hers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before picking up her books I had no idea how is that everyone loves her, but now I totally understand. What you said about her creating such suspenseful atmosphere without resorting to the gory is exactly what I loved in And Then There Were None. I'll definitely check a few of those out soon. :)

      Delete
  2. Hey, 4 stars are actually all right, you know. Though I might hold a grudge against you because of them. *Pauses. Rereads sentence. Strikes sentence out.* LOL, really, it's fine - we are still friends...I think ;).

    Jokes aside - this is Agatha for you. She usually has her characters take the back seat - I mean, they're either suspects or victims, so they are indeed important, but...it's not like she spends much time psychanalysing them or diving into their depths. What is, and always will be, crucial to her is the very mystery. And this is a hell of a one, isn't it?

    BTW - what's with the cover? It's hideous - and has nothing to do with the book's content...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I sure hoped our friendship would survive my four star rating. :P
      I think she created the perfect balance between over-analyzing the characters and not telling enough about them. Honestly, I can't really name anything I disliked, it just simply didn't live up to my (super-high) expectations.
      The cover really is hideous, thankfully my copy looks different. :)

      Delete
  3. I read this one many years ago and remember it was one that I liked, not loved. The story was good but it just felt dry to me. It's not like I put it down and thought, "Now that was a fantastic, juicy read!" While I can appreciate Christie's talent, she's not necessarily one that I turn to.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the only one of the planet who didn't think that Agatha Christie's mystery is EVERYTHING. I did enjoy it, but it wasn't as mind blowing and unputdownable as everyone makes it sound to be.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)