Tuesday, August 4

Ten Fairytale Retellings I've Read/Want To Read

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Hello lovelies! I love love LOVE today's Top Ten Tuesday topic which is: Ten Fairytale Retellings. However, I haven't read that many retellings to begin with, so I made two five lists: Top 5 Retellings I've Read and Top 5 Retelling I  Want To Read. Hope you'll enjoy my list. :) 




Top 5 Fairytale Retellings I've Read

5. Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter
(Alice in Wonderland)


Alice in Zombieland nearly didn't make it into my list because I don't feel comfortable calling it a retelling. There are barely any resemblances to Alice in Wonderland, so calling it a retelling simply feels like clever marketing to me, that tries to make it seem like more than the next typical zombie novel. Despite this I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys zombie novels with romance. It'll be better, though, if you know ahead that it's a failure as a retelling.

You can find my review here.

4. Beastkeeper by Cat Hellisen
(Beauty and the Beast)


Beastkeeper is one of those books that make you realize that even after tons of retellings there are still many ways to create a completely unique Beauty and the Beast retelling. The story was so captivating and magical, the world building was to die for and if I had read this while being in the MG age group I'd have loved it to pieces, but I thoroughly enjoyed it even now. 

3. Gathering Frost by Kaitlyn Davis 
(Sleeping Beauty)


Gathering Frost is the  kind of retelling that is equal parts modern and true to the original tale. Modern, because Jade is not asleep in the original meaning. Rather her heart is frozen and needs to be awakened, so basically she's emotionally asleep. The best thing is that the author writes all this while staying true to Sleeping Beauty. Before you think this book is all about emotions I'll tell you that it has many action packed scenes and has an edge-of-your-seat feeling because you can't help worrying if the heroine will re-discover her emotions in time. 

You can find my review here.

2. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
(Beauty and the Beast)


Unlike in Beastkeeper, in Cruel Beauty the plot centers around the romance, even though the fantasy aspect of the book is very important as well. Beastkeeper has romance in it but it's more strange and unrealistic (in the best sense) than in Cruel Beauty. So I'd recommend reading Cruel Beauty to those who're more in for the romance, and Beastkeeper to those who'd like to read a very unique spin on Beauty and the Beast.

You can find my review here.  

1. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

  
 

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a huge fan of this series - so obviously, I had to put it onto the best possible place on this list. I love the story, I love the small but unmistakable resemblances to the original tales, but most of all I love the characters who are all relatable and realistic. And I ship ALL the couples. Recommended to anyone!

Check out my review of: 

Top Five (Fairytale) Retellings I Want To Read

5. A Thousand Nights by E. K. Johnston
(A Thousand and One Nights)


I'm so so SO excited for this book but unfortunately the few reviews I've read were not exactly positive... I'm going to hold off judgement until closer to the publication when more/full reviews appear but I have to admit I'm a bit afraid of this book now. 


4. The Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz
(various fairytales)


I've heard kind of mixed things about this one but it sounds so different from other retellings and very unique. I'm honestly very excited to read this and hopefully I won't be disappointed. 

3. The Madman's Daughter trilogy

(The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein)


  

I do know that this is not a fairytale retelling but this is one of the retellings that I'm the most excited about. I'm thinking about reading the three classics these are based on first of all. The reviews are kind of mixed but overall many people enjoyed these books so I'm definitely buying them asap. If everything else fails, at least they'll look gorgeous on my shelf. 

2. Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (Illustrated by Erin McGuire)
(The Snow Queen)


I have to admit, the cover was the first thing that caught my eyes - and it's illustrated too! Plus, the blurb sounds really-really awesome as well! This book looks... magical. Something that I'd devour in one seat on a cold winter night. 

1. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
(A Thousand and One Nights)


This has been one of my most awaited books of 2015 but since then I've realized that it's a duology and apparently has a heartbreaking ending/cliffhanger. As I'm not a fan of those I'll wait patiently until the second book comes out and I can binge-read them. 




Hope you've enjoyed my list and maybe found some new retellings to add to your TBR. I'm really looking forward to seeing your lists - link them in, in the comment section - because I'm always on the lookout for retellings. Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them? 

30 comments:

  1. I want to read Beastkeeper really badly! I will be reading A Thousand Nights sometime this month. I'm really excited for it. Really great list!

    Christina @ Books & Prejudice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beastkeeper is so amazing so I'm sure you'll love it! Hope you'll enjoy A Thousand Nights as well. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. I love that you are not an instant-gratification person!!! LOL I prefer to binge read or binge TV shows! Also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same same! Though I'm not always able to hold off which I always regret.

      Delete
  3. I read the Wrath and the Dawn recently and I LOVED it so much! I hope you enjoy it once you get the chance to read it. I also want to read The Madman's Daughter trilogy. I have the first book but I haven't started the series yet. I hadn't heard of The Thousand Nights before but I think I'll give it a chance now. The Wrath and The Dawn was off the same tale, so I might enjoy it. I'm also a huge fan of the Lunar Chronicles! Although I'm not very far in the series... I'll have to catch up before Winter.

    Claire @ Cover to Cover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved it! I think I've read one negative review in total and that was more neutral with 3 stars than anything, so I have my hopes up! I'm so afraid to start The Madman's Daughter because I definitely want to love it but what if I don't? I heard that people regretted reading A Thousand Nights closely after TWatD because the latter is so much better, so I think I'll try to read A Thousand Nights prior to TWatD.

      Delete
  4. I REALLY want to read the Madmans Daughter trilogy! I just didn't include them in my list because they aren't really fairytale retellings, more like retellings of classics I think...they sound amazing though! Oh and btw I re-followed your blog. I thought I already as following but Bloglovin must've unfollowed at some point haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't leave them out because when I think about retellings in general that's the first novel/series that comes to my mind. I'm thinking about reading the classics that they're based of on first which are The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein. Thanks for the follow. :)

      Delete
  5. The Wrath and the Dawn is on my list too! Everyone has been praising this book so much I'm going to get it as soon as I come back from holiday and I hope you get the chance to read it soon too! Gathering Frost looks interesting too. I haven't read that many retellings if I'm being hoenest, let alone a Sleeping Beauty one which I'd imagine would be tricky to retell because you'd have one of the main characters asleep for 99.9999% of the novel but I do love that twist that the author has put on it. I might have to just check it out at the library next time I'm there! You've got a wonderful list here darling <3

    Nattie @ Book Rambles (here is my Top Ten)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? I'm already obsessed with how great everything sounds in The Wrath and the Dawn, especially the romance and I definitely can't wait to pick it up! Tbh, I haven't read that many either because I read a few that weren't really good, to say the least, and these made me afraid of retellings. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  6. I just recently read The Lunar Chronicles and I can't believe I waited so long. I still have Fairest to read and absolutely cannot wait for Winter! :D my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only read the series a year ago so I get what you're feeling. Fairest was so sick, hope you'll enjoy. :)

      Delete
  7. I loved the Lunar Chronicles too! I can’t wait to read Winter - November seems so far away but I know it’ll be here before we know it :D

    I have an ARC of A Thousand Nights, and I’m super excited to read it, though I’m a bit more concerned with some reviews I’ve read as well. Hopefully it doesn’t end up the same way for us :)

    And you are SO smart to wait for The Rose and the Dagger and binge them both at the same time! I wish I had known and waited to do that xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gonna be here soon, it's only less than four months away. Who am I kidding? It seems like it's eons away! lol
      I'm looking forward to your review of A Thousand Nights, really hope you'll love it!
      Now we just have to hope that The Rose and the Dagger actually ends in a happily ever after. :D

      Delete
  8. I completely forgot about The Isle of the lost, it looks amazing! You have to read The Wrath and The Dawn it is so good and I absolutely loved it! I can't wait for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! Hopefully, neither one of us will be disappointed in it. I'll but I'll def wait until the sequel comes out. :)

      Delete
  9. I've read Breadcrumbs two or three times, and I have to say I really recommend it! It's really good and... yeah. xD
    I can't share much else or I might spoil it! :P
    But I really recommend it so I hope you end up liking it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be pretty awesome if you've reread it so many times. :) I hope so too. :)

      Delete
  10. I'm also waiting to read The Wrath and the Dawn. I love Cruel Beauty though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully The Wrath and the Dawn is just as awesome as Cruel Beauty. :)

      Delete
  11. Me: *3/4 way through W&D.* *reads your TTT* *reads heartbreaking ending and cliffhanger* *closes book*.
    Me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD, I'M SO SORRY FOR SPOILING IT! I hope I didn't ruin the reading experience for you, though (?).

      Delete
    2. NO! No, it's okay! I didn't mean to make you feel bad about it. I still had my heart broken nonetheless.

      Delete
  12. I'm absolutely thrilled to hear that you liked Gathering Frost. I've got it for my kindle and I seriously want to read it, but I haven't had the chance yet. Knowing you like it makes me want to read it even more! And I KNEW Cruel Beauty would be on your list ;)

    Very much looking forward to A Thousand Nights - but I've been avoiding the reviews so I had no clue it wasn't ... well liked. I'll definitely be looking into it closer to the publication date, too. I really hope you like The Isle of the Lost. I had a lot of fun with it - just don't go into it expecting anything groundbreaking otherwise you would probably be disappointed. It's just a really fun book. I didn't know The Wrath and the Dawn was a duology. I'm definitely looking forward to it but I doubt I'll have the patience to wait for the second book. It sounds awesome and I've heard some really great things about it. Wonderful list, Veronika!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gathering Frost is definitely what I'd call a hidden gem. It's creative, decently written and the characters are super-awesome. I'm sure you'll enjoy it too! Haha, I thought you'd expect that. :D

      I hope A Thousand Nights will get awesome reviews because I'm very intrigued by it.I read your review of The Isle of the Lost and it sounds like such a fun read! It won't make the mistake of expecting more than it is. Hope you'll review The Wrath and the Dawn when you read it.
      Thanks, Amy! :)

      Delete
  13. Cruel Beauty has been recommended to me PLENTY of times. Since I loved ACOTAR, I was told that CB is JUST as good, and I heard it was even better in some aspects. Don't hate me, but I can not get with Melissa's De La Cruz's writing. After I read The Ring & The Crown, I said that's it, I'm not reading shit else from her, and I plan to stick to that. Unless she comes out with a book that I absolutely can't pass up and it ends up actually being GOOD, then I'll take her off that list. Tbh, she's the only author on it lol. I heard A Thousand Nights was pretty good, so I'm so excited for that, and I can't wait until I can finally sit my butt down and read Wrath Of The Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You HAVE TO read Cruel Beauty! I don't know about ACOTAR but CB is definitely one of my favorite retellings, if not my favorite. Haha, I don't hate you, believe me I'm not a fan of Melissa De La Cruz's writing. I've read the first three books of her Blue Bloods series and I was NOT impressed. I thought she might have improved since then but based on what you said I doubt it. I'm glad you enjoyed A Thousand Nights! It makes me hopeful that I'll enjoy it too.

      Delete
  14. I have A Thousand Nights on my list as well and i have the Madmans Daughter on my TBR pile already and for some reason forgetting to read it.
    I would like to read The Wrath and the Dawn but i am so unsure if i should or not because it seems that everyone loves that book and i have such a bad record with reading books that everyone loves and i hate them. or at least don't find anything special in them. Which I always either try to read a book before the hype gets to wild, or let it die down before i can get myself to read it. But maybe i can get over myself and try this year anyways.
    Fantastic list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have problems with hyped books as well. I'm usually batshit afraid to start them and this feeling kinda ruins the 'reading experience' for me because I need quite some time to be convinced the book lives up to its hype. At other times I'm completely sure I'll like a book and many times these high expectations ruin a book for me. :(
      Hope you'll enjoy all the books, including The Wrath and the Dawn.
      Thanks. :)

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)