Sunday, August 9

{Guest Post by The Book Bandit} Top Ten Movie-and-Book-Pairing List


Hello lovelies. It's the 6th week of the Summer Blogger Promo Tour 2015 and today Veronika and I are very excited to have Nicole from The Book Bandit here. Without further ado, let me introduce you to the Book Bandit herself!





Hi! My name is Nicole. I'm a librarian by day, and a book blogger by night. I'm (obviously) an avid 
reader who is also an aspiring writer. I am a complete and utter music junkie, a sucker for any book to movie adaption, and I buy way too much makeup for one girl. My favorite author and book changes daily. And terrible at the 'about' me section of anything. For more info about me and my blog check out http://thebookbandit.wordpress.com


It’s no secret that I love books and reading. But what you may not know about me is that I love movies. I love  going to see the latest and greatest in the theaters. I love enjoying a lazy day with a book by my side and one of my favorite movies spinning in my DVD player.

Because books and movies are my jam, I’m here today with a top ten movie and book pairing list. I’ve picked ten of my favorite movies (which was a real challenge) and selected ten books that I think for various reasons - some obvious and some not so much - would pair nicely with the movie. 




The Exorcist starring Linda Blair about a young girl who is demonically possessed is one of my all time favorite movies. Because of the film’s subject matter I knew the perfect book to pair this movie with -- Gretchen McNeil’s Possess, which is about a teenage exorcist.



I was a girl scout when I was in grammar school. And I loved almost every aspect  -- almost. I didn’t 
love few camping experiences. And even though I loved being a girl scout and I loved my troop, after seeing Troop Beverly Hills I realized that was the troop I probably should have been in. Seriously, I’m with them - my idea of roughing it is seven girls sharing one bathroom! Anyway, this is fave of mine. If I were to pair it with a book, it would have to be Beauty Queens by Libba Bray. Why? Because both deal with strong women who people look at and don’t necessarily see just how strong they are.


Ever since I was a kid I’ve been obsessed with witches and the Salem Witch Trials. So when The Craft came out, I was all over that! The Craft starring Robin Tunney is a dark tale of modern witches gone too far. Stephanie Hemphill’s book, Wicked Girls, is a verse in novel about the witches of yesteryear. That’s why I thought it would be great to pair these two together.


Now, I am NOT an athlete. I’m not even a sports fan. But for some reason I really enjoy movies about sports. And the Blind Side starring Sandra Bullock just happens to be one of my faves. It’s one of those movies that every time it’s on television I have to watch. Because it’s a movie about football (well, a football player … and it’s about so much more than football) I’ve paired it with Miranda Kenneally’s Catching Jordan. This two fit together simply because of the football connection.



When I first saw Alice in Wonderland, I was just shy of seven years old. I remember saying that I couldn’t wait to be seven and a half so I could be just like Alice. I spent many a day in my grandmother’s backyard searching for the hole that would lead to Wonderland (I have still yet to find it!).  So it’s easy to say, this made for television version of Alice in Wonderland starring Natalie Gregory is my favorite movie … hands down! What better a book to pair this movie with than Splintered by A.G. Howard. Splintered is a modern day retelling/reimagining of Lewis Carroll’s timeless classic. I particularly love this pairing because the movie is what I grew up watching and loving, and the book is something that I discovered as an adult, something that has instilled my love of Alice even more!



When I sat and thought about my favorite movies for this list, I knew Ghost World just had to be on this list. And I knew exactly what book I would pair it with -- Francesca Lia Block’s Violet & Claire. The reason why I paired these two items isn’t because they are complete opposites. It’s because at the core, both Ghost World and Violet & Claire, are about friends through thick and thin.




I’m a Johnny Depp fan through and through. And Edward Scissorhands is quite possibly my most favorite Johnny Depp movie. Because Edward himself, in a lot of ways, was a man made boy, I felt it was only fitting to pair it with Jon Skovron’s Man Made Boy - a book about Boy - the son of Frankenstein’s Monster and his bride. 


I couldn’t have picked a MORE opposite pairing than this - I’m pairing The Skeleton Key starring Kate Hudson and Ruta Sepetys’s Out of Easy. One which is about is about a young nurse who uncovers the haunting of a house steeped in, not only Southern Charm, but Hoodoo, and the latter is historical tale of of Josie, a young girl stuck in the shadow of her mother who struggles with getting out. My main reason for pairing these two is simple: they are both set in Louisiana, which just happens to be a place I visited and really enjoyed visiting!

Inside the Shadow City by Kirsten Miller was one of the first YA books I read when I first started grad school. Within the pages I found an uncrackable mystery (for me anyway since I generally don’t read mysteries and am terrible at cracking them) and quite possibly the toughest  girl sleuth. That is until I met Veronica Mars (I came to the series a lot later than most Mars fans). For that reason, and because both this movie and book highlight strong young women, I’ve paired Veronica Mars: The Movie with Kirsten Miller’s Inside the Shadow City.


I generally do not cry while watching a movie - that is until I saw The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. When I first saw it I was literally a few chapters away from finishing the book so I really had no clue what was coming. Not only did I not see what was coming in Marcus Zusak’s The Book Thief, but like watching The Boy in the Striped Pajamas I cried. Because of this, and because of their subject matter (The Holocaust) I thought these two powerful pieces would pair well perfectly together. 

So there you have it! Ten favorite movies of mine paired with ten awesome books! I hope you enjoyed this list as much as I enjoyed creating it.

[Movie images from IMDB.com]
[Book images from GoodReads.com]

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I love these kinds of posts. They're always so much fun! While I know most of these movies/books, the only ones that I've actually seen/read is the Veronica Mars/Kiki Strike combination. (Well, the show, not the movie yet.) And I totally agree. When I was reading the Shadow City it was reminding me a lot of Veronica Mars.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)