Tuesday, July 7

Top Ten Hyped Books I've Never Read

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Hello lovelies! Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic is the Top Ten Hyped Books I've Never Read. I chose book that I'm very intrigued by but not a 100% sure they're for me. I thought I'll check out a few reviews to decide what to do with these novels, but they just confused me even more. The praises made me want to order all of these but the negative reviews... Because of this I'm asking for a little assistance here. Can you tell me what you thought of these books? Or better yet do you think I would enjoy them? No matter if you tell me your opinion in a few words or paragraphs, I'll be incredibly thankful.  

Thanks in advance! <3



1. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


I have to admit that the cover is the biggest reason one of the reasons why I can't seem to let go of this trilogy. I just want to have it on my shelf. The story sounds very unique and intriguing, as well. A girl whose touch is fatal? Gimme. 

Now the negatives. My first and foremost problem is that there's a love triangle in Shatter Me. I've read that it's well-written but the same thing is said for the Jem-Tessa-Will romance in The Infernal Devices and that was one of the most painful love triangles I've ever had the chance to read. What makes me hesitant furthermore is the writing style, aka the crossed out sentences. I've read a few lines from the book in negative reviews and they seemed sort of annoying and overused.

2. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Okay, so I've read that the writing is very awesome which is a HUGE plus. I also know for a fact that there is no love triangle in this novel (Is there in the sequels? I don't dare reading the blurbs of them due to spoilers). 

On the contrary some describe the romance as not exactly an instalove but a love that doesn't make sense because there's no real build-up. I even read that there's barely any chemistry between the characters. To me that's worse than an instalove with great chemistry. 



3. Reboot by Amy Tintera

The opinions on this seem to really vary. The characters are said to be fantastic and complex, which is the best thing a novel can offer in my opinion. The writing... people seem to have very different opinions on it but I think they mostly said that it fits the story which is great.

At the same time, I've read in more than one reviews that the romance kind of leads the story, thus forces the other topics of the book into the background, which is a shame because the premise sounds brilliant. Another thing that many people mention is that everything is quite predictable and I'm not sure I could tolerate that on top of the romance.



4. Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard

I've never been that interested in this book but now that everyone's talking about Truthwitch, Something Strange and Deadly has been brought up as well quite a few times. What I love is the cover and the fact that I've read that it's said to be super-creepy. Also, I've heard that the character development is great as well, though the heroine starts off very weakly. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. 

The writing... people think very differently about it. Some say the historical setting is really bad, some say it's good with a few teeny tiny mistakes. I honestly don't know what to do with this - help me! 


5. White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout

I love JLA. I really do, but I'm not completely sure I should read this novel by her. Why? Let me list my reasons. It contains a love triangle, no less than the good boy/bad boy type. The heroine is said to be annoyingly perfect, and I'm fed up with that type. The plot seems to have been forgotten in favor of the romance. 

BUT, so many people love it! People whose opinion I trust in, so it can't be as bad as it sounds, right? RIGHT?


6. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell 

What keeps me away from this book is that I've read and disliked Fangirl, despite everyone loving it like hell. Another bummer is that I've already known how it ends. Is there any better reason not read it then knowing the ending? I think not. 

This books is said to be beautiful, with well-made characters and great writing. After Fangirl, though, I'm not sure I can believe all this. 






7. Touch by Jus Accardo

This one seems to be the most divisive from my list. I've seen praises of it that say Touch is the bestest book ever and highlight all the awesome things in it. At the same time I've read quite a few negative reviews as well. These point out that Touch is not at all well-written, and it's easy to find faults in the plot, which is kind of predictable. 

What most people seem to agree in, and what makes me still consider this, is that this novel is fun to read. I love books that are just so much fun to read that you forget about the faults of it. Tell me what you thought, though. 



8. Wither by Lauren DeStefano 

Gorgeous covers will be the death of me, I tell you. Yes, the only reason I still haven't deleted Wither from my to-read list is because of this beautiful cover. I'm horrible, I know. :P 

Screw what I said about Touch, Wither is the most divisive book on my list. Half of my GR friends loved it or at least enjoyed it, but half of them hated it. How crazy is that? I've read that the next books are better but I usually don't continue a series that first novel I've rated less than three stars. To hell with that - sometimes I give up on the three-star-rated ones as well. Tell me what to do! 



9. The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

One word: love triangle. At the same time I've read that it isn't exactly a love triangle (or sg like this) in a review. I might remember wrong because this was a long time ago, so I'd love to get some info on this. 

I'm curious about this because I heard awesome things about it and I've read The Adoration of Jenna Fox and loved it, though years later I still haven't continued the series and I'm not sure I ever will. Anyways, everyone's crazy about it so I feel like I should give it a chance. What do you think? 




10. The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay


I feel like EVERYONE loves this book! It's very very long so I'd like to be completely sure it's for me before starting it. I heard that everything is well-written, from the characters to the whole story. I'm just really not sure I want to read it.








Help me sort this all out, please!! Share with me your TTTs in the comments! This was all for today, bye! 

49 comments:

  1. Haha, I haven't read any of those and I don't even plan to, so I'm no use. Your love triangle comments were hilarious!
    Reviews are bound to differ that much, no matter the book. It's only a matter of weighing the pros and cons and seeing where the scale falls. There's no law that requires us to read the books that everyone else reads. Usually, if I'm not sure about a book after a few ten reviews, I decide that it's going to disappoint me and let it go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) I abandon books pretty quickly as well, but these ten are ones that really intrigue so I can't just say goodbye to them, even though I have more than 500 books on my to-read shelf. At the same time I feel like these might not be for me, so maybe I should pass them but...
      As you can see I'm horrible at making choices haha.

      Delete
  2. I want to read 95% of books based on cover alone. XD SO I HEAR YA WITH THE COVER LOVE. No shame, my friend, no shame.
    Ohhh, I really liked Reboot! Like, I ADORED that book. It felt fresh and quirky and the dialogue was A+. I wasn't, unfortunately, so sold on Under the Never Sky, but like everyone loves it?? But I was so bored. >_< And I argued with Shatter Me to start with because Juliette seemed so...air headed? And I had NO idea what was going on. But it's really quite beautifully written and if you do read, the rest of the series is GOLD. LIKE KENJI COMES IN AND HE'S JUST ADORABLE AND FUNNY. I love funny characters. XD Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's impossible not to judge books by their covers! They can be so pretty *-*.
      I think I'm going to give a chance to Reboot, that's one of the books from my list that I want to read more than not. And now Under the Never Sky got closer to being deleted from my list. I don't even remember what that book is about, even though I read the freaking summary yesterday! Damn, my memory sucks. Yay, I'm glad you'd recommend Shatter Me despite its flaws. And I love funny characters as well so I can't wait to meet Kenji!
      Thanks for the help, Cait. <3

      Delete
  3. From this list, I've only read Shatter Me and Eleanor and Park.
    I enjoyed Shatter Me, liked the novella Destroy Me, but couldn't get through the sequel (plus I'd already been spoiled). I think it's probably worth trying though, considering so many people love it.
    I enjoyed Eleanor and Park more than I liked Fangirl, but from what you've said, I don't think that you'll like it. Pity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading your review and at that time I thought that I'll totally pick it up soon but now that you say the sequel is not that good... I really need to think about this, about both of these books. I can't make choices ugh!

      Delete
  4. I thought Fangirl disappointing, but I liked E&P a lot.

    Here's my TTT post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel more hopeful I'll enjoy it as well. :)

      Delete
  5. Ooh some excellent books you've chosen here! You certainly need to read Under the Never Sky - it is such a brilliant series that broke my heart a bit. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Oh noo, now I have to check out how the series end because if it ends sadly I'm so not reading it haha.

      Delete
  6. When it comes to hyped books, weeeeell, here’s for the most obvious one: TWILIGHT. SERIOUSLY. I don’t think I’m up for sparkly vampires yet. I don’t think I’ll EVER be ready, but I digress.

    OOH READ E & P. IT'S BEAUTIFUL AND UNIQUE AND YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH RAINBOW ROWELL. Do give it a try! I'm sobbing because all of these covers are so gergeous and I want to give them a try on the cover alone T.T
    Nirvana @ Quenching the Quill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone has ever been quite read for THAT. I used to be obsessed with Twilight, not as much as one of my friends, but definitely in love with the books (and yes with the movies as well.

      I'll definitely think about it. Believe me, I feel you.

      Delete
  7. Shatter Me was interesting, but the main character was a bit annoying. Eleanor and Park was so adorable and different, and nothing like Fangirl, so I hope you still give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can take that, I kinda liked America in The Selection even though many hated her. Now I'm really thinking about it.

      Delete
  8. Shatter Me is also on my list! Gorgeous cover, isn't it? :) Oh, and I liked Eleanor&Park. Too bad Fangirl kept you away from this book. I haven't read the others, but The Sea of Tranquility is on my TBR. I've been reading great reviews about it! :)

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, so so SO pretty I just want to have it on my shelf. I'm reconsidering my choice of not reading E&P, everyone's recommending it!

      Delete
    2. Yay! I hope you enjoy E&P if you decide to read it! :)

      Delete
  9. From your list, I have only read Eleanor and Park and I really enjoyed that one. I haven't read anything by Rainbow Rowell though, so I don't know how different or the same Fangirl was from that one. Your other titles do sound interesting. I can see your dilemma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so far everyone who's written me a comment said they loved Eleanor & Park, some even saying they enjoyed it more than Fangirl. I might just got really interested in this novel. Thanks for the help. :)

      Delete
  10. The Shatter Me series is a love or hate book for most people. I fall on the side of love, not for the love triangle (that’s annoying because I was hardcore for one side of it), but for Juliette’s personal growth through the series. As for the crossed out lines, they’re more indicative of Juliette’s state of mind, and it changes in each book.

    Something Strange and Deadly was great for the steampunk aspect, but yes I agree that the setting was a bit vague and/or confusing for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when a character grows a lot in the sake of a series so you just made Shatter Me a lot more appealing to me than I found it before.
      I think I might read Truthwitch first, because I'm really excited for that, and if I love it I might give a chance to Something Strange and Deadly.

      Delete
  11. I have only read E&P from your list, but I thought it was enjoyable! I'm really hoping to read the Kiss of Deception soon, as the sequel just came out.
    Thanks for stopping by the The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far no one said anything bad about E&P so that's great! Me too!

      Delete
  12. The ones I LOVED: Under the Never Sky, Reboot, Something Strange and Deadly and Wither. I highly recommend reading those. The only other one I've read is Shatter Me and I wasn't that impressed. The book is good but not great and I DON'T like the love triangle because one of the guys is disgusting and I can't bring myself to read on in the series. I haven't read the others on your list, but I really want to. I hope you get to read some of these soon!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wither just got its first recommendation, yay! I'll look around and see if I can find it for cheap somewhere. Isn't Shatter Me one of those books where the heroine ends up with the anti-hero? I'm guessing you're talking about... Warner, right? I'm started to think about ordering SM asap so I can see for myself why the opinions wary on this love triangle so much.

      Delete
  13. I haven't read any of the books on your list this week. Nice post. :-)

    Here's a link to my TTT post this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/07/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-hyped-books-ive.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have only read the Shatter Me series and in my opinion, it's worth it. It took me a while until I got used to the writing style but the series gets better and better. I don't like love triangles and I won't say it is easy to read (I may have rolled my eyes quite a few times) but this trilogy is all about character developmente, and that you get (not in the first book though). Also, the side-kick character of this story is fantastic ^^
    I need to pick up Eleanor & Park and The Kiss of Deception myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I've heard mostly positive things about Shatter Me from you guys so now I'm super-excited! I love slow character development that happens in the sake of more than one book because it's a lot more realistic than when someone changes from one moment to the other. I'm guessing it's Kenji you're talking about, I heard some awesome things about his character. Thanks for the help. <3

      Delete
  15. WOAH WHAT. The love triangle in Shatter Me is not well-written at all. Or at least not for Adam fans it isn't . His character was butchered so much to make the love triangle work while another character's was excused of everything way too fast. This is just my personal opinion but I thought it was sloppily handled :| Eleanor & Park was very cute to start but then things went crazy and emotional in the ending, I still don't know how I feel about it but I'd say it's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I spoiled too much for Shatter Me omg be careful around my post then! The only thing you would really miss out on if you don't read Shatter Me is the caring, funny character of Kenji who everyone wants to be best friends with and the main character's lengthy but worthwhile development :")

      Delete
    2. Don't worry, I totally knew about which guy the MC ends up with :P. It's kind of impossible not to get spoiled on hyped books when you're reading many book blogs and are active on Pinterest and Tumblr. What you said about the love triangle sounds kind of horrible but now I really want to read it, if nothing else, I can write a negative review that points out everything bad in it haha. Okay, now you made me wary of E&P, I miiight pass this (?). I'm horrible at making decisions. Thanks for the help, Ju! (Your name is so long, so this is your new nickname)

      Delete
  16. I read Shatter Me and it was a 3-3.5 star for me and the crossout sentences are really irritating. Also the only good character is this book is ruined in the sequels so, I'm not sure I'll ever pick them up. But only for the covers I may buy it someday.
    And you ABSOLUTELY have to read White Hot Kiss. There is a love triangle but it's not focused on it and the main girl isn't annoyingly perfect, probably more the opposite, since she doesn't really belong anywhere so she can't find her place. And it's one of the bests, I tell you. Don't listen to anyone else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers of the Shatter Me trilogy, hell yes, they are so gorgeous and perfect.
      White Hot Kiss gets its first recommendation, yay! I'm glad you think it was great, I think I'm going to read but I would like to wait until the third book comes out so if I enjoy the first novel I can purchase the next two as ebooks and immediately continue reading.
      Thanks for the recommendation, Nicole! :)

      Delete
  17. Under the Never Sky is one that I adored but I still have to get around to finally reading the sequels! Same with Wither.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved UtNS but I have the feeling you didn't like Wither quite as much. Anyways, thanks for the help. :)

      Delete
  18. Oh! I really want to read White Hot Kiss!! I love the books I've read so far by Armentrout, I'm sure I'll love this one as well! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really hope you'll enjoy it! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  19. The Shatter Me love-triangle really pissed me off because it felt..forced. Like this huge plot twist was just put their in order for me to go "ooh, I didn't see that coming". But I really liked the writing style. The strikethrough thing was really annoying at first, but that lessens as the book goes on. I think maybe it symbolises the portages development? Anyway, by the third book you hardly get any pf it at all.

    I absolutely adored Under The Never Sky. I loved the romance first time around, but when I reread it, I understood why some people were saying there was no chemistry. It wasn't too bad, and I think the romance develops very well in the following two books.

    I hope you read them soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh. In that one sentence above that makes no sense at all, I meant to say:

      "I think maybe it symbolises the PROTAGONISTS'S development?"

      *facepalm* *curses autocorrect* XD

      Delete
    2. I hate those type so much, but I'm glad you liked the writing style, the opinions on that seem to be positive so I'm really looking forward to seeing it for myself. Haha, don't worry I'd have figured out what you meant. :)

      I'm glad you'd recommend Under the Never Sky, the romance can't be that bad if you enjoyed it the first time around and it's great if it develops. :)

      Delete
  20. I've only read Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell from this list. I hope to read the rest as well. But Eleanor & Park did leave me the unforgettable after taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm really thinking about giving it a real chance after how much everyone here seems to love it. :)

      Delete
  21. OMG I wrote a lengthy post and about to press publish, but it just crashed and disappear. :/

    Anyway, what I was saying is that I LOVED YOUR LIST! ❤.❤ Almost all of the novels on your list are on my TBR list as well.

    I was talking about Shatter Me. I read it 2 years before the pretty cover came out, and I found it pretty good. In fact, the crossed out sentences didn't annoyed me because it was very refreshing. It felt very spontaneous and real. Though, the first hard may be slightly boring (a slow start) due to the world-building, but once you hit climax it's like roller-coaster! :D Regardless, I hope you enjoy it even more so than me. I plan on rereading it.

    Under The Never Sky, Eleanor & Park, A Kiss of Deception & The Sea of Tranquility are all my must-read for this year, otherwise I will feel out of touch with the bookish community haha xD They all have beautiful covers to yearn for. However, maybe because it's Winter hence I feel like reading an adventurous-kickass-heroine novel. But I will definitely get in either in Spring or Summer. :P

    P.S. I love your blog! Such a cute theme. (following!)

    Happy reading,
    Kristy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HATE when that happens! Last time that happened to me I lost my comment not once but twice. I've promised myself to copy the comment just in case but I always forget haha.

      Thanks! : ) I'm so glad you wrote all these awesome things about Shatter Me because it made me sure in my decision to order the book. :) I love when the writing style feels unique and fresh. Thankfully, slow starts that are due to the world building don't really bother me, less so if the pace picks up later on so don't think that'll matter with Shatter Me either.

      I feel like everyone's read these books! E&P and The Kiss of Deception are the ones that I still keep seeing everywhere, not that the other two aren't wildly popular. Thank god it's summer here! I hate cold so much.

      Thank you, Kristy!

      Delete
  22. Shatter Me, Under the Never Sky, THE KISS OF DECEPTION. omg you're killing me here, Veronika. PLEASE READ THESE SOON! YOU WON'T REGRET IT, I PROMISE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I can't say no to your enthusiasm, (and the postive things ppl said about these three) so I'll read them!

      Delete
  23. Ahhh you gotta read The Kiss of Deception!! Under the Never Sky is also really great too. Lovely picks, I hope you enjoy them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will! Thanks, Rachel! :D

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)