Thursday, July 30

Lexa Hillyer - Proof of Forever


Before: It was the perfect summer of first kisses, skinny-dipping, and bonfires by the lake. Joy, Tali, Luce, and Zoe knew their final summer at Camp Okahatchee would come to an end, but they swore they’d stay friends.

After: Now, two years later, their bond has faded along with those memories.

Then: That is, until the fateful flash of a photo booth camera transports the four of them back in time, to the summer they were fifteen—the summer everything changed.

Now: The girls must recreate the past in order to return to the present. As they live through their second-chance summer, the mystery behind their lost friendship unravels, and a dark secret threatens to tear the girls apart all over again.

Always: Summers end. But this one will change them forever.



When I first read the synopsis, I was quite curious- summer camp, estranged friends and time-travel? Cool!  But once I started reading this I immediately felt this was not for me. Want to know why? Read on.

  • It was written in the present tense. Reading extensively in third person tends to make me feel withdrawn from the story and therefore the book fails to make a good read for me. 
  • This would have been acceptable if the author wrote in a splendid manner, but sadly her amateurish writing was very off-putting. The choice of words, conversations and what not. It was all quite boring.
  • The very generous use of expletives, while acceptable in some books, didn't quite suit the needs here. A little less cussing and a little more thought into the choice of words would have been good, thank you very much.
  • I didn't relate to the characters. And their development, or lack thereof, didn't help either. I was quite annoyed about how shallow they were. 
  • I was almost tempted to DNF at around 30% because I felt it would have suited someone much younger than me better. Early teens, perhaps? 
  • The story was off to a very slow start.. and the ending was kinda very rushed and that didn't settle well with me either. 
  • There wasn't much else worth talking of except the time-travel aspect and we got THAT right away from the synopsis- which also mentioned some kind of secret which had nothing very secretive about it. I could guess it pretty much from the beginning on.

Despite all these flaws, what made me go on reading was the second half taking an interesting turn. With a few twists and surprises the author managed to keep me engaged- and even the third person point of view worked to her advantage at points.  


The author should also be admired for the many relationships she presented in the best way possible. The realistic portrayal of friendship was a BIG plus. The story, focusing mainly on friendship, also gave some sweet romances to witness, and even though there was some insta-love, even that felt acceptable considering the flow of the story.

The character building wasn't worth mentioning, but still, each of them were given their own space and that's something commendable. The four of them were very different personalities, and even though I found myself getting annoyed with all of them at one point or the other (and chances are you would find someone you could relate to), Joy remained being my favorite character throughout the book. The way they found each other in the process of finding themselves was something I really liked. 

And my, there was FUN. We get to see Camp Okahatchee in all its summer glory, and we, like Zoe, Tali , Luce and Joy fall in love with it, whether we want to or not. The bittersweet ending was to my liking, and I felt that's what really redeemed this story in my mind. All things considered, even though Proof of Forever wasn't quite my cup of tea, it could very well be yours! 


The story idea: 4/5
The realization of the story: 3/5
The characters: 2/5
The cover: 3/5
Enjoy factor: 2/5


12 comments:

  1. Fantastic review, very balanced :) I'm not a fan of too much swearing in books.
    Cora @ Tea Party Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be really off-putting at times! Don't give up on the book just for that reason though :)

      Delete
  2. I was actually tempted to buy this book the other day but for some reason I didn't. It's good that the second half picked up for you, slow starts can be frustrating :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the second half picked up too, because I would have given up on this if not. Buy this book for the summer camp aspect of it maybe? Or the friendship, yeah. Maybe you'd have better luck with it!

      Delete
  3. Wow I didn't give a single thought at all that this book had amateurish writing O__O I hate those kinds of writing! I've read books that are written like that, and it takes me a long while to get used to it and to appreciate them. But at least you enjoyed some parts right? Sorry a few aspects didn't appeal to you! Great review <3

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jillian! I understand why you wouldn't have given a second thought about the writing. I wouldn't have, if not for the fact that the characters were kind of shallow and I REALLY have no patience for such types. I liked Joy and the portrayal of their friendship, I loved Camp Okay and the time travel facet of the story, and even though it didn't come as a surprise, I liked how it ended. But still, what I didn't like outweighed all I loved in Proof of Forever and as a result it simply didn't click with me. *shrugs*

      Delete
  4. Very nice review Ruzaika! I know I will probably never read this simply because contemporary is not my strong point but I'm glad to hear the family dynamic was done well. It's one of the hardest things to find out there. Most of the time they tend to be chaotic so whenever I find a book with great families is always a plus :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Noelia! When are families NOT chaotic? :D I completely agree with you, reading books with well-portrayed family dynamics is always great!

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to hear this wasn't a favorite read of yours. I actually wanted to give this one a try as I usually love "camp stories," but now I'm not so sure . . . Amateurish, boring writing? No thank you. Thanks for the informative review, Ruzaika!

    Julia Anne @ Peach Print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia! Maybe you could give this book a shot for the fun camp experience if you can ignore the writing style? Haha, unfortunately I find myself getting quite annoyed if the writing doesn't appeal to me, so I guess I won't be recommending it to you :D

      Delete
  6. I've never read this one but I know I've seen the cover around! I'm sorry this book didn't turn out too great. The writing and tone of the story makes me kind of happy I never picked up this (is that terrible?). Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that's not terrible of you haha. If I were you, I'd probably think the same if I read this review :D I kind of expected more I guess. Ah. Expectations always kill!!

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)