Thursday, July 23

Jojo Moyes - Me Before You

“I will never, ever regret the things I've done. Because most days, all you have are places in your memory that you can go to.” 

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of color. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.
 





Beautiful. If I were asked to describe this book in one word, I'd say BEAUTIFUL. When my best friend first told me about this, I was like, meh- not for me. But then I decided to go ahead with it simply because none of her suggestions had ever let me down so far and Oh-My-God. Am I glad I read this!!  This is a story that spans roughly six months, about two people who meet by chance and end up changing each other's life forever. Despite what the cover insinuates, this is NOT a romance. It's not some fluffy chick-lit. It's more than that. Much much more than a sappy love story.

Damn, it's been two weeks since I read it and I'm still floored by Will's story. I don't think this is going to be a very coherent review, but let's get started anyway.

Will is a typical rich guy in his early thirties, with a great job, a hot girlfriend and a fabulous life in London. One accident and two years later he comes across a normal girl, with a normal boyfriend and a normal life. This is Lou, a 27-year-old who has recently lost her job and is in need of a well-paid substitute to help her not-so-well-off family. Will and Lou are in such a situation where they should put up with each other's company- whether they like it or not. And don't they HATE it! They can't stand each other. Given the circumstances, Will is cranky and rude to Lou, so she tries her best to avoid interacting with him unless absolutely necessary. However, they eventually start getting along and Will inevitably becomes a vital part of her daily routine. 

Then Lou stumbles upon something about Will that shocks her to the very core. She has only six months to change his life. Six freaking months! Will she succeed? Can she make Will see what's right? Read and find out. Just. Read. This. Book. EVERYONE MUST READ THIS BOOK. You should all read this book. Now! RIGHT NOW. 

Looks like I let my emotions get the better of me again. 



Well, before you start this book, I'll give you a fair warning- be prepared to cry. But you'll finish this book with a tiny smile on your face, even through the tears. Me Before You is a love story, a love story sans the silly characters who feel a spark of electricity between them that convinces them that they have fallen in love with each other. This is a book that teaches you about love, patience, friendship. and most of all, it's a book that tells you to LIVE.  Just live.

The characters were so realistic it was insane. They were selfish, they were maddeningly self-absorbed. 
They make mistakes, they learn, they find themselves and they find each other at their most vulnerable stages in life. They felt so REAL. They turn from normal individuals into rich characters who forever left a stamp on my heart. I understood how each of them felt, from Lou's sister to Will's mother. The author did a splendid job in making us understand each character so much so that we feel their pain, we feel like we actually go through what they do at each moment. 

"Will Traynor, ex-city whiz kid, ex-stunt diver, sportsman, traveler, lover. I held him close and said nothing, all the while telling him silently that he was loved. Oh, but he was loved.”

Don't get the wrong impression- this book didn't only make me weep. This book made me smile, it made me laugh. Will and Lou are both smart asses and their banter was truly heartwarming. They make you understand that sometimes, life puts you in a place for a reason and you just allow yourself open your eyes, you'll start seeing things that you never saw before. They teach you that sometimes, stepping out of your comfort zone is just what you need. 



The writing was very straightforward, yet dealt with a tornado of beautiful emotions. The random changes in POV helped make the read even more enjoyable. Sure, I would have loved to read a few chapters in Will's POV, but I understand the author's dilemma here. The plot was pretty simple, but it dealt with a very controversial subject which I think the author did justice to. I wish things hadn't ended the way they did, but I still wouldn't change a single thing about it. I understand why they did what they did- because if you truly love someone, you'd do anything to make that person happy. Anything. Even if you wouldn't necessarily want to.

“I can't do this because I can't...I can't be the man I want to be with you. And that means that this - this just becomes...another reminder of what I am not.”

I could write more, but I think I've said too much already. I can safely say that this was the best book I've read so far this year. Hands down. Read this book for yourself, and tell me you didn't like it if you can. Go on. I dare you. 





The whole book. The whole freaking book.

The story idea: 5/5
The realization of the story: 5/5
The characters: 5/5
The cover: 2/5
Enjoy factor: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. Okay, first of all WOW! I I've heard pretty nice things about Jojo Moyes from people whose opinion I truly take into account but I'm not the biggest fan of chick-lit so I'm really happy to hear that even though this is a romance, it's not the fluffy chick-lit book you would expect and all that alone might make me pick this one up. So, yeah, maybe is about time for me and since during Summer I get more of my contemporary books read I think is time :)
    Thanks for the awesome review Ruzaika!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I hope you do go ahead and read it- You. Won't. Regret. It. EVER. You won't believe just how devastated I was after reading. It was ah-mazing. Ah.
      Anyways, with the prospect of the sequel in the horizon, I urge you to read it soon!

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)