Wednesday, July 15

{Discussion Review} Meg Cabot - Royal Wedding

"Seriously, if my life were one of those romance novels with a love triangle, Lars and Michael would be the sexy paranormal alpha males, but the two of them would be in love with each other and just ignore me.”


For Princess Mia, the past five years since college graduation have been a whirlwind of activity, what with living in New York City, running her new teen community center, being madly in love, and attending royal engagements. And speaking of engagements. Mia's gorgeous longtime boyfriend Michael managed to clear both their schedules just long enough for an exotic (and very private) Caribbean island interlude where he popped the question! Of course Mia didn't need to consult her diary to know that her answer was a royal oui.

But now Mia has a scandal of majestic proportions to contend with: Her grandmother's leaked "fake" wedding plans to the press that could cause even normally calm Michael to become a runaway groom. Worse, a scheming politico is trying to force Mia's father from the throne, all because of a royal secret that could leave Genovia without a monarch. Can Mia prove to everyone—especially herself—that she's not only ready to wed, but ready to rule as well?





Veronika: Hey everyone, Ruzaika and I decided to write a discussion review for Royal Wedding because we both enjoyed it so much and loved chatting about it with each other - so we thought we could recreate our discussion about it for you. I think I can say that this'll be a rather positive review, even though I did have a few problems. What about you, Ruzi?

Ruzaika: Yes, I enjoyed myself immensely, despite the few shortcomings I felt were present. Let me start with a brief description of what's happening in Mia's life. Mia is now twenty-six years old. She has a wonderful job, supportive (and rather meddling) friends and family- and the best boyfriend ever!! She has safely put behind her teen years and all its drama  and has proven to be a fantastic Princess of Genovia.

V: We shouldn't forget, however, that Mia's life is still far from perfect - maybe farther than ever was. For instance, her father is going through a midlife crisis and acts quite childish and reckless. Nothing proves this better than his latest conflict with the law that not only made the press as crazy as ever to get some info on the family but lessened his chances of being re-elected as a prime minister.

R: And the tabloids don't help either:

"You would think that in the enlightened era in which we live, a single girl could have a boyfriend and a career and also a healthy sex life without getting called names." 

Every single thing Mia does is taken and picked to pieces by the press and Mia being Mia, understandably feels completely crazy about the lack of freedom she has. Things go insanely wrong when she discovers something about her father that could just change her life forever.

V: Aww, the discovery was definitely one of the absolute highlights of the novel, I especially loved Grandmére's actions later on. At the same time, many unrealistic things happened at this part of the novel that I can't not mention. I don't understand how they didn't see that the contact they made Olivia's guardian sign was bound to cause conflicts rather sooner than later.

R: I can't help but squeak out- Granndmére's reaction to it was unbelievable! I honestly didn't expect her to take that news that well. It was so  satisfying in it's own way. And, well, yeah- Mia was quite silly in going ahead with her rather hasty decision.. but that's Mia for you. *shrugs indifferently* I'll just chalk it off as another random Mia-type decision haha.

V: It's not Mia whose actions I was surprised by, admit it, we kind of love her because of her hastily made decisions and plans that only make sense to her. However, I didn't expect Lilly to believe this will all work out without a glitch. Talking about Lilly, she has a "new" love interest and I would totally kill to see a book (or a short story) about them.

R: I second that! I soo want to see Lilly's POV, especially when later in the book she actually does something about it- I was really frustrated when Mia wouldn't listen to Lilly talking about her not-so-secret "rendezvous."
And talking of Lilly, Tina and Lilly are the best fictional bestfriends one could ask for! They were there for Mia since the beginning and I was really glad to see their friendship again after all this time. They are both very supportive of Mia and are always there for her. What more could you ask for? Oooh, and Lana!!

V: Mia is still very shy and I think she'd die of mortification if she ever had to talk about her sex life or anyone else's (I'll never think of the word "Fireman" the same way). But I feel you, I'd have loved to hear more on Lilly's love interest. *sad sigh* I think Lana was a bit downplayed. There were a few times when Mia sort of talked about her like she was only her friend for the fame, but there was nothing to prove this true. Mia's friends got so little spotlight next to everything else, this was my biggest problem.

R: Yes, I felt Lana was labelled rather unfairly too. She sounded like a lot of  fun, and was not as manipulative as earlier. She plays nice to get things done and that's okay if you ask me :D
And oh my GOD. Fireman, I totally died laughing. I don't think we should spoil it for you, YOU SHOULD TOTALLY READ IT FOR YOURSELF. It was hilarious. Mia and Michael were the BEST. Michael is still the grounded, genius boyfriend, but is really flirty and so much cuter now. He is very supportive of Mia and vice versa, and if any of you thought things might feel old and stale between M&M, you couldn't have been more wrong. If anything, they are even more perfect together than they ever were (well, as perfect as it can be between a princess and a high-flying robotic arms designer).

V:  I can't believe you're still calling them that. Seriously, stop. Guys, you wouldn't believe, how many times I talk Ruzaika that this is what comes to my mind when I think of M&M:



Oh yes, adult Michael is to die for! A character who changed tons, or rather shows his sassy/snarky side now, is Lars. He was hands down one of my favorite characters from Royal Wedding and I couldn't imagine a better bodyguard for Mia, in a thousand years. 


“Well!” the woman cried, offended. “See if I ever come to visit Genovia!” 
“No one wants you there,” Lars informed her”

R: Lars was certainly one of my favorite characters too. That reminds me of the other characters we know and love from the previous books, namely Mia's mom, Rocky, Perin, Ling Su, Boris Pelkowski and Kenny Showalter- though there's nothing particularly lovable about the latter two. Mia's mom is as scatter-brained as ever, and Rocky has grown up into quite the typical ten year old. Perin and Ling Su are stoic and dependable we knew from before. Boris has turned out to be as famous as expected- and has a huge crazy girl-fan following as not very expected. Kenny is still highly pathetic, trying to talk big and falling flat on his own face haha- he deserved it!

V: You had me worried there for a moment. I thought you suddenly started to like Boris. I wish instead of all the drama about Tina and Boris's relationship, we'd have the chance to see more of Rocky. I feel like we didn't learn much of anything about him, and you know how excited I was to get to see more of Mia's little brother. Another character resurfaced as well, though I'm sure NOBODY missed him. Obviously, I'm talking about J. P.

R: Well, now I guess Grandmére deserves to be given the spotlight. Grandmére, oh god. She's certainly no Julie Andrews as portrayed in the movies. She's certainly not a force to be reckoned with. She still has a strong hold in almost every aspect of Mia's life, and if not for Michael, I honestly think she would have driven Mia literally crazy. 


"We need to have a relaxing weekend away from orange-throwing Genovians and your insane family."

Thanks to Michael, M&M have a perfect weekend away.
..And what a weekend it was!


V: It definitely was some weekend! The place caught on fire AND the aliens came as well. I love M&M (see what you did to me!?) so much, they're the funniest, realest couple I've ever read about. Wasn't the engagement a bit... corny, though? I felt like it was a bit of a cliché and I'd have loved something more unique.

R: Aliens and fire, yeah! I loved it all to bits. I thought the proposal was kind of clichéd too, but I didn't mind it so much because it had that distinct Michael touch to it. I think that's enough said about M&M- if you, like us, spent all of your teenage obsessing over Michael Moscovitz, then you need to hurry up and read Royal Wedding right now!
Now let us tell you about the much-awaited wedding itself!

V: Unfortunately, there's not as much to tell about the wedding preparation, and the wedding itself as I'd like. Despite what the title suggests, it looked as though every single thing was more important than the wedding. Sometimes I felt like Mia and Michael were only supporting characters in all the drama that surrounded them.

R: I agree, Grandmére takes over planning it all, so much so that Mia's carefully thought out plans are not even seriously considered. We only get bits and pieces of the planning itself and we didn't even really get to witness the wedding- so that was the only major disappointment we got. The title was kind of misleading that way. 

But WHATEVER. We loved it all.

V: We really did and I'll make you read the Mediator series so we can fangirl over the upcoming novel together. 

R: The Mediator series- on my TBR for sure. Well, to wind it all up reading Royal Wedding took us back to our teens and we loved every single minute of it! If you haven’t read this hilarious series yet, do give it a chance.. We know you’d fall head over heels in love with M&M just as we did!


        


8 comments:

  1. I loved the films when I was younger but I've never read the book series. I would love to read this one to continue off the films and go back into the world Genovia. Unless I need to read the whole series, I'm not sure. Great discussion review ladies, glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The films were enjoyable, though they didn't live up to the novels. I don't think you have to read the whole series to enjoy and understand this novel, though most of the supporting characters we knew from the previous ten books, so you might not be able to form any kind of connection with them, Hope you'll pick it up one day. :D Thanks, Emma!

      Delete
  2. I loved this review format! It was very engaging and fun. Grandmére was one of my favorite characters back in the original series. She was always so dramatic haha. And I missed Lilly aw, that girl was always so fabulous. I admit I completely forgot about the other characters omg I just have vague memories >.< It's been so long, I better read up all the summaries to refresh my memory! Sad that we couldn't see the full grand wedding but oh well, the book sounds so fun still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ju (hope this nickname doesn't bother you). Grandmére hasn't changed at all so I'm sure you'll still love her character as much as you used to. Ruzaika and I re-read the whole series just so we remembered pretty much everything haha. It definitely is fun! Read it. :D

      Delete
  3. What an interesting cover and interview! I shelved this book for next month's read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm so glad you want to read it! Hope you'll enjoy. :D

      Delete
  4. I'm thinking that maybe I should actually give this book a go. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to, because I kind of didn't really like the later books in the series, but it looks like this one is actually pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to give this book a chance if you enjoyed (most of) the previous books. I have to admit the last three books weren't my favorites by far but this one was soo much fun!

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)